Skunk!!!

This is a discussion on Skunk!!! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Neighbor has a skunk problem. Looking for a realistic reasonable caliber to dispatch the invader. Y'all country folk got more experience than me. Is a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Skunk!!!

Skunk!!!

Neighbor has a skunk problem. Looking for a realistic reasonable caliber to dispatch the invader. Y'all country folk got more experience than me. Is a .22 a viable (efficient, ethical) option? We have other options but wanted to start there as we get accuracy and distance.

Thanks in advance.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

2. Remove Ads

What are your options? Live catch cage? Skunks are tough critters. I have killed lots of skunks and coons with a 22. A shotgun works. My favorite is a 357 magnum rifle.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

Live catch cage is set, but, and pardon me if I offend anyone, a .22 is a lot cheaper than the disposal fee. A.357 would be my choice as well, but some of our other neighbors may not have the same opinion. Take that back, I will not be picking up any "parts" so I like the .22. Keeps one nice "sealed" package.

Dogs already got nailed twice.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

A member of the weasel family, skunks have small narrow bodies and much fur. Occasionally one will think he's hitting the skunk when he's really only giving him a trim. Everything from a Benjamin .177 pump air rifle to a 10 gauge has been used on skunks in my experience. They're not very tough when fairly struck.

I've not figured out yet how to kill them successfully without "raising a stink."
    JerryMac likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Just be sure you fire before the skunk does. I have seen skunks killed before with .22s but it may become odorous.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Common theme here! Odor is a concern. I'm not q crack shot but think I might be able to hit the head. Figure no one will miss it, but don't need to unload 100 rds just to kill it. Main concern is killing efficiciently and ethically. It darn sure isn't for meat, but am not trying to be cruel...otherwise it would be sprinklers a chain link fence and the car battery. I kid.
    UncleDannie likes this.
    BigJon

I've killed 'em with a .177 pellet gun and a .22. Neither was uneventful from an olfactory standpoint.

The second one was rabid; walking around on hind legs at high noon at the edge of my yard. My kids came in to announce the "dancing skunk." I called the cops, and as we were in the middle of a small-animal rabies epidemic at the time, they told me I was on my own. My choices were pellet gun, .22 pistol or 20 ga shotgun. I opted for the pistol.

I optimistically figured a head shot with a Stinger would shut down the central nervous system before he could pull his trigger. From kneeling, no more than about 15 feet away, I put a round crosswise from ear to ear and the incredible stink hit us about the same time the empty .22 case hit the ground. You'd think I'd popped a balloon full of stink. I buried that critter wrapped in two heavy-duty leaf bags and the stink just permeated two feet of dirt like I'd wrapped him in cheesecloth and left him lying there. Finally poured a gallon of kerosene over the "grave" and that seemed to contain the scent.

Bottom line - if you can "deport" them, you'll have less of a stink to deal with than if you shoot 'em.
    mano3 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I have a similar issue, I read somewhere about headshots being the odor-free solution. I have the precision .22 sighted in and CB shorts ready, hoping it gets hit by some jerk with his tuner Civic first. I'm open to a better suggestion if someone has one.

A .22 will do it for sure but I don't know of a 100% surefire way to do it without them spraying as well. I've dispatched one years ago with a 20 ga. and it worked well but I was fairly close, (but not too close) and it didn't spray. And like bmcgilvray said, they're small-framed with a skull probably smaller than your clinched fist so a very well placed .22 hollowpoint should do the trick. Is this guy out and about during the daytime? If so I'd watch it, could have rabies. Legally you are supposed to have a permit to trap and relocate them but good luck with that. Here's some good information. Skunks Management Guidelines--UC IPM
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

The front bumper of a Ford E Series Ambulance going 65mph in emergency status is VERY effective at dispatching small critters. I once took out a racoon bigger than a small dog. Shook the unit considerably to the point of scaring my partner. More so than going 20 over a speed bump in a small car and bottoming out.

I dont suppose that is a practical option for you though? lol

Had another simmilar encounter with a psych patient on board. They wernt so calm after that rattle of the undercarraige.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Just took another one out recently with the .22. Headshot, but it still let everything go when it died. Thank God for acreage, manure, and tractor. .22 HP is plenty for just about anything up to coon size, and even bigger if you don't need it to drop right there.

BTW, back when I lived near people, I saw a guy set live traps for them with a blanket over the trap. It worked, and he took the trapped skunk to the truck with the blanket still on with no spray. So maybe the solution is a live trap, blanket, and a drum or trash can full of water. Trap it, then drop the whole assembly into the tank.

.22 is easier. I just need to be more patient next time and make sure he's farther away from anything I don't want to stink.

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    3 years ago I was out here on the farm and thinking I had no job, no prospects, no house, taxes were coming due, 3 trees were infested with hornets and the Army Corp of Engineers just blew a rather large bit of unexploded ordnance leftover from WWII in my neighbors yard. But dude, you have problems

Good luck.
    Last edited by svgheartland; August 3rd, 2012 at 09:35 AM.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Mothballs, lots of mothballs will encourage the skunk to move out. No mess, no fuss, no tomato juice bath.

VIP Member
    Many years ago at a bar I used to hang out at the owner had a problem with a skunk that lived underneath the building. He decided enough was enough and dispatched the critter with a .22, NO amount of incense, scented candles and air freshener sufficed to cover the smell.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links