First AR help!?! - Page 2

First AR help!?!

This is a discussion on First AR help!?! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; There are almost more AR assemblers than Carter has liver pills! So you have to look at a few items. How much of the gun ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: First AR help!?!

!

There are almost more AR assemblers than Carter has liver pills! So you have to look at a few items. How much of the gun do you want the name brand to actually manufacture? Many are assembled utilizing components from many sources. I would look at Stag Arms and Windham Weaponry. There is also Core 15 which makes a sweet rifle. Colt is good but you will pay a premium for the name. Smith and Wesson is good as is one of if not the oldest manufacturer, Armalite. Rock River gets very good reviews as does DPMS. Is your head about to explode yet? My next one is going to be a Stag Model 8 as I like the piston driven action. Also, if you are a lefty Stag makes left hand models also. Good luck and have fun looking!

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    That Rock and Glock guy is super smart!
    hahaha, Timmy!

I have a M&P Sport and have enjoyed shooting it. Picked it up for $620 on budsgunshop.com. It has shot well with no trouble at all. I have shot about 500 rounds of 223/5.56 and probably 2000 rounds of .22LR (got a CMMG conversion kilt).

Swapped out the black buttstock, handguard, and pistol grip for OD Green. Added a EOTech XPS2-0. My bud that has been shooting and collecting for years loved it.

Based on everything I've read on here and AR15.com, my next one will be the PSA upper kit and I'm going to try to find a mil-spec lower from a private party/gun show. Everyone seems to have a good impression of the quality vs $$ of the PSA product.

The pic was taken prior to swapping out the buttstock.

01232012060.jpg

If you want to spend $1100+ go with the Colt, if you wanna stay on a budget, PSA or M&P15 Sport would be good choices.

Ton's of info for you to digest. Lots of good weapons to chose from. I recently bought one of the Windham AR's and I feel it's a pretty solid weapon especially for the price point. My suggestions would be to get one with iron sights and be proficient with those then look into options for optics. ( where I'm at ) And when looking at your budget keep in mind lots of ammo. New gun=lots of fun=running through a lot of ammo. No matter what brand you chose I'm sure you'll love it.

I own a Franken gun with a DPMS lower that I assembled and a Rock River upper. It's been great but I haven't ever ran it hard. My brother in law has Rock River Tacticool Entry Mid Length all accessorized out with an Eotech and just about every accessory Magpul makes and it is a hell of a nice weapon. They both have more inherant accuracy than I can take advantage of. :)
    It's kind of like how some people have a sudden and insatiable desire to talk about vampires after the Twilight series became popular, except zombies are much less gay and more likely to exist one day

I'm gonna go with the SW MP, the price is damn decent and for my first rifle it seems pretty basic and straightforward and ill have more cash for attachments that way. Any one got any good recommendations on websites that I can purchase sights and slings?

definitely a head shot with all this info but I'm loving it! Thanks fellers

from what I've seen on this website I'm very impressed with the knowledge posted here
    It is impressive actually. Think of your wallet as the sun, and the forum as planets. LOL! We gladly assist you spending your money. Best advice revolves around that open wallet, and of course the knowledge is free. Just a friendly warning.
    By the way........forget a Bushmaster since you're not a gunsmith.

Bushmasters crap out easily? A friend of mine is considering one, he is no gunsmith either so what should I tell him to be cautious about? We will be shooting together and I don't want anything blowing my ass off lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ablation View Post
    Bushmasters crap out easily? A friend of mine is considering one, he is no gunsmith either so what should I tell him to be cautious about? We will be shooting together and I don't want anything blowing my ass off lol
    Improperly staked gas key, wrong-sized gas key screws, over-gassed BCG. Those are the most serious and the ones that quickly leap to mind, but there are more problems with them than just that. They'd be ok if used gently and never pushed hard, and if they were significantly cheaper than something like a Colt. Unfortunately, they are typically just about as expensive as better rifles, so I see no reason to buy one.

Larue rifles.

Any thoughts on this company? I'm liking the 5.56 predetAR..

VIP Member
    What is your exact price point? That will help us give you an idea. Then we will tell you about the best makers in that price range.

OK I went ack and re-read this thread again. I see that your budget is up to $1500. In that case I suggest going to G@R tactical's web site and oredering a Colt 6920 Moe. Or a BCM.
    Last edited by atctimmy; August 6th, 2012 at 08:58 AM.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

With your price range.....buy a BCM, Colt, or DD
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    16-20 week wait on the Larue by the way. But it is one outstanding rifle. But $2400.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

LaRue makes match grade rifles right out of the box. Chrome barrels that can take a punishing and still shoot a dime out of a coyote's mouth from 800 yards. Okay, not that good, but close to it.
    However, however, HOWEVER... you better double your budget. I have some optic mounts from LaRue that by themselves cost close to $200. That being said, it's an investment and in AR's, you get what you pay for.
    If you're seriously thinking about shelling out the cash for a LaRue, you might also want to consider the LMT CQB MRP piston. If you could find a way to make mud with good ballistics this rifle would still fire and stay clean. The piston will last you a long time, fire cheap ammo and the LMT will handle serious abuse. I've got one and even though it cost me some serious money, I've never looked back. Tula tries like heck to gum it up and it hasn't found a way yet.
    But, if you're sticking with your current budget, the Colt is by far the best choice.
    As to your .223 / 5.56 question-- you have it backwards. The 5.56 can shoot both, but the .223 can only handle the .223. Most of the 5.56 ammo out there packs a bit more punch and the 5.56 rifle is designed to handle it. I know plenty of people who shoot 5.56 through their .223, but it's like riding a motorcycle with your baseball cap turned backwards. Looks cool, but at some point you're going to become an organ donor.
    My recommendation would be to save up your $$ and get yourself a better 5.56 as opposed to a decent .223. Ask around as to the best twist and that can help you decide what to go with as well. My LMT as a 1:7, which means I can shoot the 62 on up and stabilize the heavy guys.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links