First AR help!?!

First AR help!?!

This is a discussion on First AR help!?! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; S&W MP15 sport is my choice but I am considering some PSA or Colt rifles. Any info would be helpful, I plan on using it ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: First AR help!?!

First AR help!?!

S&W MP15 sport is my choice but I am considering some PSA or Colt rifles. Any info would be helpful, I plan on using it for general target practice and home defense

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    The decision is very budget driven, if I can ask what is your price range? Also, are you mechanically inclined? You can build one which allows you to pick what you want and saves some money.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

VIP Member
    If you can afford it, get the Colt. Walmart has started carrying them for around 1,100.

If you're on a budget, get the PSA.

The problem I had with building my first AR is that I didn't know what I liked or didn't like. I went with the PSA, and it turned out to fit my requirement for a rugged, reliable solution.

Now for fun, I'll build my next AR from the ground-up. I'll be sure to pimp it out shamelessly.
    mprp likes this.

sgb
    PSA is a best bang for the buck going in AR's right now.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I have had good luck with the DMPS Oracle rifles. Not a high-end rifle but for the money it is a good way to get wet with ARs. Most places sell the Oracle as a flat-top and with no optics for around $650.00 and i have seen them on sale at Dunhams for as low as $599.00 + tax.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Thanks for the replies! I set my budget fairly low(600-1500), Im not a gunsmith but my mechanical skills are very decent and common sense placed. building It to my liking is important as well so customization is key, as of now I'd only plan on owning 1 rifle. But basically I'm assuming that price isn't a indicator of how well a rifle performs, is this true? because obviously the cheaper I get the more funds I'll have for accessories..

I have been extremely impressed with my M&P Sport. It's seriously got to be the best deal going. The only other budget AR I would consider is a PSA. I'm actually planning on buying a complete upper from them sometime because I just picked up a complete AR lower for cheap. Don't worry about about the dust cover and the forward assist, you're not going to war with it. The M&P is built to mil-specs just like the rest of their ARs so anything can be swap and go for the most part. Best part is the price tag, I only paid a little more than $650 out the door.

Thanks for the info! Another question, .223/5.56 ammo. What's the difference? I saw a video on YouTube of the Sw sport exploding from a squib, according to the owner he was using 5.56 ammo56gr. And I came across another article stating that a 5.56 rifle should only use 5.56 ammo but. .223 rifle can use both? And again thanks for helping a newbie out from what I've seen on this website I'm very impressed with the knowledge posted here

Quote Originally Posted by Ablation View Post
    Thanks for the info! Another question, .223/5.56 ammo. What's the difference? I saw a video on YouTube of the Sw sport exploding from a squib, according to the owner he was using 5.56 ammo56gr. And I came across another article stating that a 5.56 rifle should only use 5.56 ammo but. .223 rifle can use both? And again thanks for helping a newbie out from what I've seen on this website I'm very impressed with the knowledge posted here
    this might help you: 5.56 vs .223 – What You Know May Be Wrong - LuckyGunner.com Labs
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

(J.R.R.Tolkien [Faramir], The Two Towers

My understanding is the opposite. The 5.56 can shoot either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ablation View Post

Thanks, great information.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    What attachments do you want on it? Which sights do you want? I wouldn't really look at the S&W if you have a price range up to $1500.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

You seriously need to look at these:

AR for sale NE Ohio
    atctimmy and QKShooter like this.

VIP Member
    That Rock and Glock guy is super smart!
    Rock and Glock and QKShooter like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    That Rock and Glock guy is super smart!
    Ahhh.....He's not so smart but, he sure does know a nice battle rifle when he sees one.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links