Hammer follow on 1911

Hammer follow on 1911

This is a discussion on Hammer follow on 1911 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a PT 1911 I recently put a new hammer in. Now I have hammer follow. It only drops to half cock if I ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By OD*
  • 2 Post By Xader
  • 1 Post By walleye

Thread: Hammer follow on 1911

Hammer follow on 1911

I have a PT 1911 I recently put a new hammer in. Now I have hammer follow. It only drops to half cock if I have the grip safety engaged. Any ideas on how to fix this. Or does it just need to go to the gun smith and have the parts matched up?
    I dont believe in fate, I believe in odds.

OD*
    Sounds like you have a sear to hammer hook issue. Several things you can do, reinstall the original hammer, take the pistol to a reputable gunsmith to "recut" the existing hammer and sear, replace the hammer and sear with a mated set, or, try adjusting the center and left legs of the sear spring first, applying more pressure to the sear & disconnector.
    JD, Xader, QKShooter and 2 others like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Distinguished Member
    OD nailed it. Your new hammer isn't catching on your old sear.

For future reference, if you're not experienced with mating a hammer to a sear, it is usually advisable to get a matched set with the engagement surfaces already mated to each other. At that point, it's usually just a matter of tuning for preference.

Administrator
    You can put the hammer and sear on the outside of the frame to check the exact engagment in your frame.

I'll send you the PIC VIA PM.

And as per OD above the following will often do the trick.

"or, try adjusting the center and left legs of the sear spring first, applying more pressure to the sear & disconnector."
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by BigE410 View Post
    I have a PT 1911 I recently put a new hammer in. Now I have hammer follow. It only drops to half cock if I have the grip safety engaged. Any ideas on how to fix this. Or does it just need to go to the gun smith and have the parts matched up?
    I had that with Colt 1911 45, it's HIGHLY dangerous, your gun can go full auto, someone wrote me on a forum about that happening to him with a .380 and hammer-follow, luckily at a gun range with the gun pointed down-range; it went full auto, you can't stop it, he just held on for dear life as it shot the whole mag all over the place.

GET IT to an expert gunsmith or better, the manufacturer, and do not shoot in anymore. It is too dangerous for you to try and fix yourself. What if you don't and a 45 goes full auto on you in an SD event with you killing half the neighborhood, or at home spraying your house and family with 45s. Not likely but you're not dealing with a minor problem. That it goes to a half-cock at present does not mean it's safe

That's like having your brakes fail and because you could still stop yourself at the last moment with the emergency brake thinking it's ago to piddle around with it and try it again

(I sent mine to Colt but fast, they repaired it but I'm still not real comfortable with the gun)
    msgt/ret likes this.

Actually newer 1911's with the series 80 firing pin stop won't let the firing pin strike the primer unless the trigger is pulled moving the pin out of the way,and in 1911's IIRC there is a 1/2 cock notch that if for some reason the sear doesn't hold it the gun cannot go full auto
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    No fire control parts for the 1911 are true "drop-in" parts. Your life and the others around you depend on proper fit and function. Take it to a professional.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Actually newer 1911's with the series 80 firing pin stop won't let the firing pin strike the primer unless the trigger is pulled moving the pin out of the way,and in 1911's IIRC there is a 1/2 cock notch that if for some reason the sear doesn't hold it the gun can notgo full auto
    You are correct about the 1/2 cock on pre-Series 80 Colts, the Series 80's and the newer reproduction Series 70 guns used a hammer that has a 1/4 cock notch (it is part of the Series 80 design).
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

As already said, there really is no such thing as a drop in part for a 1911. To me "drop in" simply means a part does not have to be hard fit. However, the parts must be final fit. The hammer must be fit to the sear
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

It's dangerous Series 80 or not. Granted that due to the numerous safety features of a 1911, it's probably not going to go full auto, but still , it is not a good condition. Take it to someone that knows what they are doing. 1911's require fitting especially if you are mating old parts to new. They are not Lego guns.

Administrator
    If you purchase the higher quality aftermarket hammer sear combinations that are pre-mated to one another - with the contact surfaces already honed and polished that will go a long way toward a drop in hammer/sear being able to actually be dropped in. But, the firearm still needs to be function checked to make sure that the hammer does not follow the slide.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Take it from someone that has had a 1911 go full auto. Take it to a gunsmith now and have a properly mated hammer and sear installed. When I built my first 1911 not knowing any better I purchased a hammer and sear at a gun show and installed them without any checking or fitting. My first trip to the range after finishing building was to say the least exciting.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Links