Thinking of a Derringer (Cobra?) to present with the ring?

This is a discussion on Thinking of a Derringer (Cobra?) to present with the ring? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It's time to give my lady the much deserved ring that she has been wanting. I'm supposed to go pick it up tomorrow... Anyways, I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Thinking of a Derringer (Cobra?) to present with the ring?

Thinking of a Derringer (Cobra?) to present with the ring?

It's time to give my lady the much deserved ring that she has been wanting. I'm supposed to go pick it up tomorrow...

Anyways, I showed her a picture of a derringer (she has seen them before) and she thought those were cute and cool, and she wouldn't mind having one of those when she goes for a run, or just as a back up gun to her carry piece (how awesome is that? even I don't carry a BUG to my conceal piece lol)

I saw they don't cost much (like 100ish?) so I figured I get one for her, and take her to the beach at night with some wine and the derringer... I will kneel and present her with the derringer. she will be confused and little mad thinking it was the moment. then I will kneel again and say, thsi time it's for real. will you marry me? and present the ring.

I've been thinking of doing something interesting and I think that's a cool little idea...

ok, that was my idea though. Since this is a gun discussion sub-forum, I'm actually here to ask what caliber... 22 mag, 32 auto? I'm thinking 32 auto will be good. or a 22mag? I know they aren't good cartridges for self defense, but this is more a 'niche' and last ditch weapon to maybe use as a last resort at almost point blank. her daily is a P238 (soon to be P938)
    Ionracas likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I say this as someone that owns a Cobra Derringer, don't buy one. I have one in .38 special. Their short sight radius and terrible sights make it pretty much impossible to get on target. I say almost impossible, because between the small, maybe 2 finger grip, and 15 pound single action trigger, you don't really stand a chance of making a good shot anyways. They are poorly made of inferior materials. And really, my .38 is not much smaller than my j-frame. The movement needed to pull the hammer back is awkward too, and not really do-able with one hand in a firing grip.

If you insist on buying a derringer for her, get her a Bond Arms, which have many of the same downfalls, but are at least better built.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Marry the girl. Avoid the derringer. You'll be glad you did both.

She needs a fight-stopper rather than something cute and cool in a weenie chambering that is crummy to actually shoot.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    I say this as someone that owns a Cobra Derringer, don't buy one. I have one in .38 special. Their short sight radius and terrible sights make it pretty much impossible to get on target. I say almost impossible, because between the small, maybe 2 finger grip, and 15 pound single action trigger, you don't really stand a chance of making a good shot anyways. They are poorly made of inferior materials. And really, my .38 is not much smaller than my j-frame. The movement needed to pull the hammer back is awkward too, and not really do-able with one hand in a firing grip.

If you insist on buying a derringer for her, get her a Bond Arms, which have many of the same downfalls, but are at least better built.
    I'll check bond arms out. Honestly, it's just part of the plan. doubt she'll shoot it more than 5 times. lol I don't want the big bore ones. thats why I was looking at a .22 or a .32 which are the small bore ones that are tiny.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Marry the girl. Avoid the derringer. You'll be glad you did both.

She needs a fight-stopper rather than something cute and cool in a weenie chambering that is crummy to actually shoot.
    she already has a fight stopper. :)

Wrong...........The ring is hugely important in her emotional memory. Don't confuse it by giving her a gun at the same time. Mixing anything like a gun with something romantic like a ring is an emotional train wreck. Give her the derringer in a month or two, just not at the same time.

You will thank me.

Ask any married woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Wrong...........The ring is hugely important in her emotional memory. Don't confuse it by giving her a gun at the same time. Mixing anything like a gun with something romantic like a ring is an emotional train wreck. Give her the derringer in a month or two, just not at the same time.

You will thank me.

Ask any married woman.
    thanks.... I might re-think my strategy perhaps. she has been wanting it... lol

This. Take it from someone who screwed it up, you'll never get a second chance (well, at least with her), and she'll never forget it or let you forget it.

That said, I don't know your girlfriend - she might think it was the best proposal ever.

You will thank me.

Ask any married woman.

You will thank me.

Ask any married woman.
    Couldn't agree more. Though it may seem like a nice extra. I say just go with the proposal plan and surprise her with the Derringer a few weeks later.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member

You will thank me.

Ask any married woman.
    I may not be married but I know how women think. His advice is spot on.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Skip the derringer. Get an NAA mini revolver for her instead. She'll get more rounds in about the same size weapon.

And the ring should be a separate ceremony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Randy
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "No, but I'll take the gun..."
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post
    thanks.... I might re-think my strategy perhaps. she has been wanting it... lol
    Birthday gift. Then drop the Derringer and then take her shopping. Ring is a wonderful thing all by itself. Just my .02 worth
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    "No, but I'll take the gun..."
    Reminded me of "Leave the gun, take the cannoli".
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

You will thank me.

Ask any married woman.
    Great suggestion...after a few months, get TWO guns...one for her...one for you!
    It's a great tradition to start, and therefore, nothing to argue about later in married life.

You have to keep traditions going, right?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    I think derringers are a complete novelty of almost no use. I have shot a few of them, all bad- terrible triggers, hard to aim or use, slow to get into action. There are many better choices. And almost no worse ones....
    As for the ring- go for it!
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links