Lead bullets in pocket - Any health risks?

This is a discussion on Lead bullets in pocket - Any health risks? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This may be a silly question so forgive me but this is the first time I have ever really dealt with lead bullets. I plan ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Lead bullets in pocket - Any health risks?

Lead bullets in pocket - Any health risks?

This may be a silly question so forgive me but this is the first time I have ever really dealt with lead bullets. I plan on carrying a speed loader in my front pocket when I carry my j-frame (assume it performs tomorrow). My carry load is 158g LSWCHP. Are there any health concerns with carrying exposed lead bullets in the pocket? What about my hands if I reach on the pocket for something else?

Thanks!
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Wash your hands before eating/drinking if you touch them. Not many risks if they just sit in your pocket.
    marcclarke likes this.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

I wouldn't lick them...
    Burns, marcclarke and Ionracas like this.

Fatal to BGs so you should be good
    msgt/ret likes this.

Rlolo, dnot wrorry aobut it. Laed isnt too bad. Unelss yuor prgennat or giong to be pregnnat, I woludnt' dewll onit mcuh. It deos hvae a sewet taest to it thuogh.
    Burns, paullie, msgt/ret and 2 others like this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

They aren't jacketed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to pick lead shot out of my teeth from the quail and pheasant we had shot. They say it could cause memory problems but I haven't experienced any.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Not any worse than the general "lead exposure" risks have shown to be. It's raw lead, after all.

Don't lick it = good advice. But then, same thing goes for copper pennies. Unless you're prepared for the outrage of a lifetime, don't ever touch one of them (or your fingers, after handling them) to your tongue. BTDT, as a young child. Was one of the worst experience in my life, until then. Of course, there was the 'lectric outlet, and the pool drain, and the ski jump, and ...
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Unless you eat it, suck on bullets as a nervous habit, or plan on eating the BG after you shoot them, you probably aren't going to have a problem . As others mentioned play it save and wash your hands often.

VIP Member
    Ingestion/inhalation is a much larger risk than exposure through the skin. I wouldn't worry about it - just wash your hands.

On a related note, I do a fair amount of shooting (perhaps 15k a year in various calibers), and this year I'll make sure my lead levels are checked during my physical. I would be more concerned about inhalation.

Sorry Rollo, couldn't help it with that last post. But like others have said, just wash your hands. Like Sig's post above, people, including myself have done a lot of game bird hunting where you don't always get the lead out until you pick it out of your teeth. I really think that the best advice is not to ingest lead and a good washing of the hands should work well to be on the safe side. I remember that people used to blindly use lead as ingredient for a sweet additive and found this. I also make sure that I wash my hands well after reloading because of this.

http://www.rachel.org/files/document...erspective.pdf
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

No clue on health risks but I have heard lots of folks complain that the bullets deform after a bit of rolling around in there. Changing them regularly could help with that, and increase exposure, so I guess that doesn't help!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Well depends who you ask. The EPA has been try to get the Army to go to lead free bullets for years they do have a EPA approved lead free bullet they been using on ranges for a while now.
    I am sure that chewing on one might not be good for you, letting the kid play with them might not be a good idea. Have a couple in your pocket is likely low risk.

I used to pick lead shot out of my teeth from the quail and pheasant we had shot. They say it could cause memory problems but I haven't experienced any.
    Brad426, mb1900 and PEF like this.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    You haven't experienced any or you can't remember experiencing any?
    mb1900 likes this.
    ...Adam

"If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart, and if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no head." --Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links