Jose Canseco comes out VERY PRO GUN in Vice magazine in response to Aurora

This is a discussion on Jose Canseco comes out VERY PRO GUN in Vice magazine in response to Aurora within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I prefer Will Smith......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Jose Canseco comes out VERY PRO GUN in Vice magazine in response to Aurora

I prefer Will Smith...
    Brad426 and thephanatik like this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    I prefer Will Smith...
    Amen to that.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    The thing is, do we want idiots who have no earthly idea what they are taking about representing us?
    Whether he's an idiot or not doesnt matter, what does is that because he is a celebritiy he has a following, thus if he changes the views of others then by all means yes. How is that bad?

Quote Originally Posted by sid1 View Post
    I never cared for the guy when he was playing ball, but because he is a celebritiy he has a following, thus if he changes the views of others then by all means yes.
    I do get where you are coming from, but my take is if you have a spokesman (official or not) that is easy to make look like a fool (and Canseco doesn't need any help in that department) it can hurt your cause. Think Michael Moore shamelessly ambushing Charleton Heston when he was suffering from Alzheimer’s and him coming across as a fool who couldn't argue his point. Well Canseco really is that dumb all the time...
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Wait a minute, are we sure he isn't talking about his bicep "guns"?
    Brad426 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I do get where you are coming from, but my take is if you have a spokesman (official or not) that is easy to make look like a fool (and Canseco doesn't need any help in that department) it can hurt your cause. Think Michael Moore shamelessly ambushing Charleton Heston when he was suffering from Alzheimer’s and him coming across as a fool who couldn't argue his point. Well Canseco really is that dumb all the time...
    I dont understand? Who is making him a spokeman? He has a view and wrote about it, just as you and I along with everyone else here. I am not putting him on a pedestal I am not hanging onto his everyword. I'm saying that everyone or anyone that speaks pro-gun can only be a positive thing more so when it comes from a celebrity.

VIP Member
    Ok.

Does he sound like Jeff Cooper and Mas Ayoob?

No.
    Does he have Fame and noteriety??
    Yess.

These are the teams he played for in MLB:
    Oakland Athletics (19851992)
    Texas Rangers (19921994)
    Boston Red Sox (19951996)
    Oakland Athletics (1997)
    Toronto Blue Jays (1998)
    Tampa Bay Devil Rays (19992000)
    New York Yankees (2000)
    Chicago White Sox (2001)

Oakland, Chicago, NY, Boston, Toronto.
    All very anti- gun.
    Can he possibly do some good influencing the though process of those in those cities?
    Probably to a certain extent.

A firearms guru, he ain't.
    Uncle Ted should invite him to Texas to change that.
    I say it probably won't hurt us to have him in our corner
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I dont understand? Who is making him a spokeman? He has a view and wrote about it, just as you and I along with everyone else here. I am not putting him on a pedestal I am not hanging onto his everyword. I'm saying that everyone or anyone that speaks pro-gun can only be a positive thing more so when it comes from a celebrity.
    That's what I meant by "official or not". Because he is a (minor) celebrity he will get coverage that you and I won't, ergo by default he will become a spokesman of sorts. I know three or four dozen people that are bigger UK fans than Ashley Judd, but because she is famous (and hot) she gets the label "Biggest Wildcat Fan" every time CBS or ESPN is televising a game. In this case every time Canseco says something dumb all 2A folk will get lumped in with him.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Ok.

Does he sound like Jeff Cooper and Mas Ayoob?

No.
    Does he have Fame and noteriety??
    Yess.

These are the teams he played for in MLB:
    Oakland Athletics (1985–1992)
    Texas Rangers (1992–1994)
    Boston Red Sox (1995–1996)
    Oakland Athletics (1997)
    Toronto Blue Jays (1998)
    Tampa Bay Devil Rays (1999–2000)
    New York Yankees (2000)
    Chicago White Sox (2001)

Oakland, Chicago, NY, Boston, Toronto.
    All very anti- gun.
    Can he possibly do some good influencing the though process of those in those cities?
    Probably to a certain extent.

A firearms guru, he ain't.
    Uncle Ted should invite him to Texas to change that.
    I say it probably won't hurt us to have him in our corner
    I hear you. And there's nothing I can do about it... he's bigger than me and if I drew on me he'd blast me in the leg or knee, so I suppose I will move into acceptance. I have my doubts about it not hurting to have him in our corner. Give me Tom Glavine or David Robinson or some other articulate, non-moronic ex-athlete to support my cause if I get to pick, though.
    Clint Eastwood

That's what I meant by "official or not". Because he is a (minor) celebrity he will get coverage that you and I won't, ergo by default he will become a spokesman of sorts. I know three or four dozen people that are bigger UK fans than Ashley Judd, but because she is famous (and hot) she gets the label "Biggest Wildcat Fan" every time CBS or ESPN is televising a game. In this case every time Canseco says something dumb all 2A folk will get lumped in with him.
    Well with that logic, what your saying we should start policing people on their 1st amendment right what they can say or cant say? And for the record l dont compelety agree you and I'm not lumping anyone with you.

Well with that logic, what your saying we should start policing people on their 1st amendment right what they can say or cant say? And for the record l dont compelety agree you and I'm not lumping anyone with you.
    Sorry I didnt intend for that to sound mean. That wasn't my intention

Sorry I didnt intend for that to sound mean. That wasn't my intention
    No offense taken.

I am not suggesting his 1A rights be taken away, I just wish somebody more articulate and intelligent sounding (like Will Smith, despite his initial, impromptu address on the matter not being all that eloquent) would take up the cause rather than a moronic juicer who threw his former teammates under the bus to make a buck (which I only bring up to point out a lot of the people in those cities where he played hate him rather than revere him).
    Clint Eastwood

No offense taken.

I am not suggesting his 1A rights be taken away, I just wish somebody more articulate and intelligent sounding (like Will Smith, despite his initial, impromptu address on the matter not being all that eloquent) would take up the cause rather than a moronic juicer who threw his former teammates under the bus to make a buck (which I only bring up to point out a lot of the people in those cities where he played hate him rather than revere him).
    I understand people have a dislike for him. And I can see from your post your a Will Smith fan. Which one can agrue that Will Smith may not know anymore than Jose Canseco when it comes to guns? (I dont know if this is the case?)
    But your willing to let Will Smith speak and your on the bandwagon?

But if someone you dislike for whatever reason, but still has some of the same beliefs as you in when it come to guns And your flaming him for getting the word out?
    (Oh by the way for me it's Nick Cage for so many dumb movies)

So my one and only point was, (which is very weird considering the forum we are in) how is what he wrote a bad thing?

Well, I'll take one of our Idiots to match one of their Idiots, anytime. We've got a long way to go to catch up with them.
    sid1 and Rock and Glock like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    I hear you. And there's nothing I can do about it... he's bigger than me and if I drew on me he'd blast me in the leg or knee, so I suppose I will move into acceptance. I have my doubts about it not hurting to have him in our corner. Give me Tom Glavine or David Robinson or some other articulate, non-moronic ex-athlete to support my cause if I get to pick, though.

^^^^^^^I hear ya^^^^^^^^^^^

on that one, but sometimes beggers can't be choosers, and if Rosie O'Donnell suddenly had an epiphany, and was pro gun, I'd be happy for that............Me thinks.
    Good God what did I just type!!!!!???????
    sid1 likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links