Defensive Carry banner

Jose Canseco comes out VERY PRO GUN in Vice magazine in response to Aurora

4K views 34 replies 15 participants last post by  OldVet 
#1 ·
#2 ·
#6 ·
If people can be swayed by Canseco, do you really want them on your side? Plus he says "bogus" and "blast them in the leg or knee". I want a better spokesman.

#9 ·
He has no idea what defensive use of a gun is. From his article:

If a guy breaks into my home and comes after me but clearly doesn’t have a weapon—and I know I can defend myself—no I won’t shoot him. But I have to make sure he doesn’t have a weapon on him. And that could be a problem in the dark, after I was just startled out of bed. So it’s a very iffy situation. But, theoretically, if I was certain he didn’t have a weapon and I could defend myself (in other words he’s smaller than I am), I would not use a gun. Even if he does, I’m probably not going to shoot him above the waist; I’ll blast him in the leg or the knee.
Yep, he's still half asleep, it's dark, and he's going to shoot for the leg/knee. IF he's lucky enough to survive the encounter, the BG is going to own everything he has, including his steroids. Maybe we should forgive him for exhibiting his CA mentality.

Reactions: Chevy-SS
#22 ·
Ok.

Does he sound like Jeff Cooper and Mas Ayoob?

No.
Does he have Fame and noteriety??
Yess.

These are the teams he played for in MLB:
Oakland Athletics (1985–1992)
Texas Rangers (1992–1994)
Boston Red Sox (1995–1996)
Oakland Athletics (1997)
Toronto Blue Jays (1998)
Tampa Bay Devil Rays (1999–2000)
New York Yankees (2000)
Chicago White Sox (2001)

Oakland, Chicago, NY, Boston, Toronto.
All very anti- gun.
Can he possibly do some good influencing the though process of those in those cities?
Probably to a certain extent.

A firearms guru, he ain't.
Uncle Ted should invite him to Texas to change that.
I say it probably won't hurt us to have him in our corner

#24 ·
I hear you. And there's nothing I can do about it... he's bigger than me and if I drew on me he'd blast me in the leg or knee, so I suppose I will move into acceptance. I have my doubts about it not hurting to have him in our corner. Give me Tom Glavine or David Robinson or some other articulate, non-moronic ex-athlete to support my cause if I get to pick, though.

#29 ·
Well, I'll take one of our Idiots to match one of their Idiots, anytime. We've got a long way to go to catch up with them.

#31 ·
I realize Wikipedia is far from the most accurate source of info, but this is what is listed there as his legal issues.

Legal issues

On February 10, 1989, Canseco was arrested for reckless driving after allegedly leading an officer on a 15-mile chase. He was found guilty and fined $500.[30]

On April 11, 1989, Canseco was arrested in California for carrying a loaded semi-automatic pistol in his car.[31] He was released on $2,500 bail and pled no contest.[32][33]

On February 13, 1992, he was charged with aggravated battery for allegedly ramming his then-wife Esther's BMW with his Porsche.[31] On March 19, 1992, Canseco pled not guilty to charges of aggravated assault and later underwent counseling and fulfilled a community-service requirement.[34]

Canseco was arrested in November 1997 for hitting his then-wife, Jessica. In January 1998, he pled no contest and was sentenced to one year probation and required to attend counseling.[35]

In October 2001, Canseco and his brother, Ozzie, got into a fight with two California tourists at a Miami Beach nightclub that left one man with a broken nose and another needing 20 stitches in his lip; both were charged with two counts of aggravated battery. The brothers both pleaded guilty and received both probation and community service.[36]

In March 2003, Canseco missed a court appearance while in California working out a custody dispute over his 6-year-old. The judge revoked his probation and sentenced him to two years under house arrest followed by three years probation.[37]

In June 2003, Canseco was arrested at his home for probation violation after he tested positive for steroids. Canseco spent a month in jail without bail.[38]

In May 2008, Canseco revealed that he had lost his house in Encino, California to foreclosure saying his two divorces had cost him $7 to $8 million each.[39]

On November 4, 2008, Canseco pled guilty in Federal court and was sentenced to 12 months’ unsupervised probation by U.S. Magistrate Judge Ruben B. Brooks.[41]
Considering some of the charges and convictions, I don't think he can even have a gun. Besides, is this really someone who puts gun owners in a good light? We worry about how the anti's try to label us, then some us applaud a thug because he speaks out for guns. He may be a well known sports figure, but he's still a thug.

Reactions: OldVet
#35 ·
I can see where his endorsement can do more negative than positive. ("If Jose says it's good, it's got to be bad.")

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.