Age and value of an older S&W .38 model 36

This is a discussion on Age and value of an older S&W .38 model 36 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey guys I am trying to fund a CC purchase and I am thinking of selling one of my S&W pistols and I need some ...

Thread: Age and value of an older S&W .38 model 36

Age and value of an older S&W .38 model 36

Hey guys I am trying to fund a CC purchase and I am thinking of selling one of my S&W pistols and I need some help figuring out how old it is and what its worth. I have a Smith and Wesson .38 Chiefs Special Revolver Model 36 the SN on the gun is J1765xx I have the original box, the wax paper the gun was shipped in the instruction manual, the original price tag that was stuck to the box selling the gun for $96.00 a phamplet that talks about the "The long life of law enforcement equipment" the warranty card that was never filled out, the authorized S&W service centers and the cleaning rod with the brass brush. I bought the gun in 2004 for $250.00 from a friend that would buy gun collections this gun was part of a collection and was supposedly never fired and I have never fired it. The gun is in perfect condition. Can anyone help me the age of the gun and possible value. Thanks!!

2. Remove Ads

sgb
    Your best bet would be to check with the guys at the Smith & Wesson Forum pictures would help as well.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    J frame, all the J frames are numbered in the same series. In 1968 our government enacts the Gun Control Act of 1968, for our protection! This is part of the confusion of the J frames. In 1950 they started the J frame numbering system at #1 until 1969 when they changed to J1xxxx and continued thru 1Jxxxx, 10Jxxx, 100Jxx, until they reached 994J94 in 1973. They then changed to J100, 000. I would estimate your gun to be sometime in 1973-1974. Also Check the grips The number stamped in the right grip indicates the grips are original to the gun.

The "value" of the gun, of course, is whatever price is negotiated between a willing buyer and a willing seller. But log onto GunBroker.com and do a search on "smith 36" to see what the current market has to offer. You can track specific listings and see what they ultimately sold for.

There is one dealer, Fugate Arms, who consistently lists NIB or nearly new S&W revolvers, almost always with untouchable prices, but doggone if they don't sell nearly every one they list.

You might see what your M36 is worth to a dealer in a trade for the gun you want, but you'll almost always make out better selling the gun privately.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    I picked this model 37 up on Gunbroker for $290.00 if that helps with value

2012-08-05_14-48-44_872

I had one purchased new in 1968 with original box and in great condition. Paid $68 for it and got $450 at a recent gun show

Links