CZ 455 Combo or Browning BL-22?

This is a discussion on CZ 455 Combo or Browning BL-22? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Back-story: When the statehood quarter series came out I started a set & my mom started a set (neither of us realizing that we were ...

Thread: CZ 455 Combo or Browning BL-22?

CZ 455 Combo or Browning BL-22?

Back-story:
    When the statehood quarter series came out I started a set & my mom started a set (neither of us realizing that we were both doing this for my son.) I started rolling the quarters I did not need and as Mom's eyesight started having issues, I took over the set she was working on. I am about 8 quarters away from completing two full sets of statehood quarters from Denver & Philly Mints...

A byproduct of the project is that I roll the quarters I do not need and stick them in a drawer. I joked to my wife that one day I would buy a rifle with quarters. I counted the rolls the other day & realized I have $430 in rolled quarters. Looks like I am about there.

That being said:

Anyone have any experience with this weapon? I am about convinced on this one, but am having trouble since I am not a long gun kinda guy.
    Any sage advice before I committ? Any advice on which rings/scope / iron sights?

I like that it is a CZ, it converts from 22lr to 17HMR, and it is not a Ruger.

Should I just go for the Browning BL22 instead?
    The Browning is an amazing shooter with beautiful wood and is not much more expensive. It will do 22short, 22lr, 22 long.

Any input?
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

2. Remove Ads

Given a choice, I'd go for the CZ. Trigger is better than anything in its price range, and the 455 is an improvement over the earlier 452. Just make sure you get the 'American' and not the 'Lux' if you intend to scope the gun. What you give up over the BL-22 is capacity, a glitzy finish on the stock, and "gold" plating on the trigger. The bolt on the CZ rimfires I've handled feel like they're on ball bearings compared to my more expensive and custom-reworked Ruger 77/22.

Head on over to RimfireCentral.com - Rimfire Community! and you'll get hours of good info on guns, scopes, rings, ammo and more.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks Smitty!
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

VIP Member
    Definitely the CZ. Accuracy and the interchangeable barrel makes it a no brainer IMO, plus your getting 2 guns for less than the cost of the Browning.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I've owned a BL-22 for over 40 years. It's light, handy & beautiful, yet never failed to perform any rimfire task that I've asked. But given your post, I would suggest the CZ 455. Sounds like you want as much versatility as possible and with a rifle that converts from a .22 LR and .17 HMR you've got a WIDE range of shooting options. Don't know your budget on scope & rings but IMHO if you're gonna' have a fine rifle DON'T GO CHEAP on the glass. Enjoy your choice.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Links