An Emphasis On Safety

An Emphasis On Safety

This is a discussion on An Emphasis On Safety within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I went to the range today to finaly try shooting some .22's. I confess I never gave them a chance and went right for bigger ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By pgrass101
  • 1 Post By denver

Thread: An Emphasis On Safety

An Emphasis On Safety

I went to the range today to finaly try shooting some .22's. I confess I never gave them a chance and went right for bigger calibers. Well I certainly was missing out because it was a lot of fun.

On the list of try outs today:
    Ruger 10-22
    Savage Bolt Action
    M&P .22
    Ruger revolver (not sure what model)
    S&W revolver (not sure what model)

But I digress. This thread is about safety. Ive seen many firearm videos of possible Darwin Award candidates on youtube, we all have. I have to love the ones not wearing eyes and ears. Use of PPE (personal protective equipment) has been burned in to me over the years of my proffessional career. I have an always will use applicable PPE as needed. Sometimes, stuff still happens.

Okay so this is self explanatory and Im sure Im nowhere close to the first that this has happened to but given a specific youtube channel marketed towards future Gecko45's, who does NOT use eye protection, heres a lesson for his followers
    Attached Images
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

I always double up on hearing protection with foam ear buds then the ear muffs that also have eye protection attached to them(really good for us who wear glasses.)

I was hit in the head with a ricochet once that hurt like crazy and barely bled. But if that ricochet had just been a bit lower it easily would have the ability to lose and eye or maybe knock out a tooth.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Senior Moderator
    Even wearing PPE accidents happen. I once had a 9mm brass land between my glasses and my forehead. I now wear a cap with a brim when shooting
    RemMod597, Dandyone and babarock like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Thats pretty much what happened. Didnt hurt so much as it was a surprise. I think Ill start wearing a hat myself.

Looking closley you can tell which direction the casing was pointing
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

-Agent K

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I always wear a hat for that reason. Brass gets hot.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

10 years of wearing a uniform, I have always considered wearing a hat indoors to be disrespectful not to mention unnessecarry. With the acception of my fire helmet of course. Now Ill add one more item to my PPE list.

My wife had some brass go down the back of her shirt when we took our permit class. Finally got to stop telling her to wear loose/low cut clothes.

It blows me away that people dont wear eyes and ears at the very least. Its not expensive, medical bills are
    -Abraham Lincoln

-Agent K

VIP Member
    Years ago Speer produced 140 and 160-grain semi-jacketed 357 bullets, they were accurate but had a nasty habit of shedding small pieces of the jacket when fired. Quickly reinforced the need and reason for eye protection.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Last range trip- outdoor rifle range- I couldn't wear my eye protection. It was way too hot and they kept getting too dirty to see through from the sweat running down the lenses...

I'm not too terribly concerned... my .22 rifle throws brass directly at the person to my right.. And my 1911 throws brass almost directly over my head- and occasionally at my forehead.. or it bounces off the ceiling and down the neck of my shirt.. (wife gave me funny looks once )

Eh... now I guess I gotta figure out a way to keep my glasses clean enough to see through.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

A buddy of mine was crouched down shooting his Tech 9 out in a field when a JHP projectile ricocheted back, bounced off the ground, and hit him in the chest. If fell straight down at his foot. He said it had about as much force as someone throwing it at him as hard as they could. If it had hit an eye or his face, it could have done some damage. It left a red mark right on the sternum, but didn't break the skin.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Even wearing PPE accidents happen. I once had a 9mm brass land between my glasses and my forehead. I now wear a cap with a brim when shooting
    I was actually at the range this saturday and had my hat on, glasses and saftey glasses over them. I still managed to somehow get a hot casing lodged between my cheek and the saftey glasses, just barley outside of my glasses. We have a walls on bothe sides in each lane, guess it somehow bounced just right of the right wall. Luckily it wasn't to hot, just hot enough to get my attention real quick.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    I've been spit on by loose, sloppy, revolvers on the next firing lane. You never know what some people will try to shoot.

Glad to HEAR a lot of you young uns talking about PPE!! I am 57 and have been shooting since I was 3. Back in the day no one wore any PPE. I have had ringing in my ears for 30 years or more. I can't stand even a .22 short without muffs. Take it from an old fart, muffs and glasses ALWAYS!! Got a pair of electronic muffs for Father's Day this year. They are great. Try em.
    Ionracas likes this.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

I've yet to be a victim of my own casings, but I've had a lot of others peoples find their way into my direction..
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I wear eyes always. Ears I at least wear my electronic over-the-ear protectors, and a lot of times I'll wear foam plugs under those.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Links