Obtaining a firearm

This is a discussion on Obtaining a firearm within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't know how it is out there in the rest of the country, but here in Ohio, I think it might just be too ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Obtaining a firearm

Obtaining a firearm

I don't know how it is out there in the rest of the country, but here in Ohio, I think it might just be too easy to obtain a firearm. As we all know, there are some people out there who do NOT need to own guns. I have a certain family member who comes to mind... Is there anyone else who feels like it shouldn't be so easy to get a gun? This has probably been brought up before, and if so, I'm sorry for the repeat. I just find it crazy that there are no safety courses or mental screenings that take place before a person can just go out and buy a gun... I think at a minimum, a safety course should have to be passed. I also think that we should teach gun safety in high schools...maybe as an elective, but it should be an option.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I think gun safety should be a requirement in school in order for us to better utlize our 2nd amendment rights. I would have to disagree with all else.

VIP Member
    So who is going to decide who is competent to own a firearm?

Once you give away that authority, remember that you'll never gain it back. What happens when they change their mind on the qualifications to own a firearm (and decide that you can't)? Their definition of 'sane' might just put us all in the loony bin.

I hold myself responsible for the well-being of myself and my family. Delegating responsibility to another by relegating liberties is a dangerous and slippery slope.

Is it harder to get a vehicle than a weapon?
    BigJon10125 likes this.

VIP Member
    Gun safety should be taught in school IMO. It should start in kindergarten with the NRA Eddie Eagle program. Shooting sports should also be offered in school as well. As for mental screenings and mandatory training programs to buy guns, I'm against that. The bureaucrats would have anything like that so screwed up NO ONE would be able to buy a gun. I can see it now:

Screener: Did your mother or father spank you as a child?
    You: Yes
    Screener: I'm sorry, you are disqualified, you're a risk because you suffered child abuse as a youngster and harbor urges to strike back.

or

Screener: Did your mother or father spank you as a child?
    You: No
    Screener: I'm sorry, you are disqualified, you're a risk because you weren't taught discipline as a child and stand the possibility of striking out because things don't go your way.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I'll go one further. I believe gun safety, self defense law/theory/application, and marksmanship should be a requirement in all publicly-funded schools.

And I think it definitely should be more difficult - background checks, psychological evals, skills testing, and mandatory training - to buy the most dangerous weapons available in our country (motor vehicles - 34.k+ deaths/year). Same should apply to those other household items that cause the most deaths among our populace - stairs & ladders (falls account for 30k deaths/yr) and and household chemicals (31k/yr). And pools? They should be outright banned. Especially assault pools (anything that has lines painted on the bottom to make it look like a professional pool).
    9mmspecial and CJM like this.

There are "some people" who go free after committing a serious crime because our legal system is leveraged to minimize the chance of an innocent person being convicted. Likewise, our firearm purchase/ownership system is leveraged to allow minimum legal interference to the law-abiding citizen and is more than restrictive enough already. I DO NOT WISH it to become more legislated because of your concern over what "might" happen. What "might" happen is pure speculation and can't (shouldn't) become grounds for policy or legislation until it actually DOES happen. I can NOT be charged or convicted for what I "might" do.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by LaDanah26 View Post
    I don't know how it is out there in the rest of the country, but here in Ohio, I think it might just be too easy to obtain a firearm. As we all know, there are some people out there who do NOT need to own guns. I have a certain family member who comes to mind... Is there anyone else who feels like it shouldn't be so easy to get a gun? This has probably been brought up before, and if so, I'm sorry for the repeat. I just find it crazy that there are no safety courses or mental screenings that take place before a person can just go out and buy a gun... I think at a minimum, a safety course should have to be passed. I also think that we should teach gun safety in high schools...maybe as an elective, but it should be an option.
    Should we allow those few unreliable people to be the deciding factor when it comes to what freedom you and I are 'allowed' to keep?

Michael
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    The problem here is that more and stricter standards will only affect those who will try to obtain firearms legally. An "insane" person can still get a gun pretty easily. And, as others have said here and elsewhere, those who control the standards can make them harder or easier or redefine the language to include or exclude from gun ownership whoever they want. Give a politician an inch, and they will tax you for a mile.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member
    Oh, and someone new to the board and posting such statements makes me think of the "T" word.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

So what about this certain family member should prevent him or her from legally obtaining a firearm? Would this same condition prevent him/her from obtaining a firearm out of the trunk of a gran marquis across town in the alley behind the liquor store?

Like others have said if we give them some mental qualifications they will figure out a way to diagnose all of us as mentally incompetant and they will have the control over their subjuects as they desire.

I totally agree that gun safety should at least be offered in school, better if it were mandatory. Hell the school wants to raise your kids anyway.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I don't know how it is out there in the rest of the country, but here in Ohio, I think it might just be too easy to obtain a firearm. As we all know, there are some people out there who do NOT need to own guns. I have a certain family member who comes to mind...
    Of course, you have made sure that this family member - who you obviously believe is mentally unstable, of criminal intent, or otherwise a menace to society - has been committed/reported/treated?

If not, whether he or she can buy a firearm or not, how are you going to answer the mail when he/she drives a Hyundai through a crowd of kids waiting for a schoolbus?

I still have to respectfully disagree. I don't consider myself anti or a troll...and I don't know if that's the T word, but it's a possibility. I don't think it's unreasonable to place certain limits in order to obtain a firearm. Maybe no mental screen, but surely a safety class! Guns don't kill people...but irresponsible gun owners do. There will always be idiots out there who own guns and have no idea how to operate them safely, but maybe before buying a gun, you should have to present a certificate of completion...pass a safety exam...something... There have been way too many "accidents" on the news lately, and I just don't believe in gun accidents. A gun will not just go off without a person standing behind it pulling the trigger (unless there's a serious malfunction). I really feel like if everyone knew to "always point the gun in a safe direction" to "assume EVERY gun is loaded" etc, there would be far fewer "accidents". We think these things are common sense, but time and time again stupid people are proving us wrong...

Senior Moderator
    I believe that we should have a mandatory service requirement for all citizens when the reach the age of 18. They could choose military service or a civil service like the CCC (which we could resurrect). I believe that this would be very valuable to our nation, teach responsibility, and help our children mature. The CCC component could work on repairing our failing infrastructure and learn valuable trade skills in the process.

I think that this should also include basic firearm safety, basic first aid, and a whole host of other skills that Boy Scouts learn at summer camp, but seems to be entirely lacking in the majority of our population.
    WHEC724 and Penhall like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I still have to respectfully disagree. I don't consider myself anti or a troll...and I don't know if that's the T word, but it's a possibility. I don't think it's unreasonable to place certain limits in order to obtain a firearm. Maybe no mental screen, but surely a safety class! Guns don't kill people...but irresponsible gun owners do. There will always be idiots out there who own guns and have no idea how to operate them safely, but maybe before buying a gun, you should have to present a certificate of completion...pass a safety exam...something... There have been way too many "accidents" on the news lately, and I just don't believe in gun accidents. A gun will not just go off without a person standing behind it pulling the trigger (unless there's a serious malfunction). I really feel like if everyone knew to "always point the gun in a safe direction" to "assume EVERY gun is loaded" etc, there would be far fewer "accidents". We think these things are common sense, but time and time again stupid people are proving us wrong...
    Almost everyone here will agree with you about gun accidents (accidental discharges). However, through mandatory gun safety classes in school and enforcement of current laws on negligence, that can be taken care of as much as it ever will. The problem is that too many people are insulated from guns or only see them in movies and video games. They need experience with real live guns and learn how to safely use them.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links