1911 or revolver?

This is a discussion on 1911 or revolver? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by mb1900 Lastly, you can leave a loaded revolver in the drawer forever. But since the 1911 uses magazines, you'll need to rotate ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 1911 or revolver?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mb1900 View Post
    Lastly, you can leave a loaded revolver in the drawer forever. But since the 1911 uses magazines, you'll need to rotate them so you don't tire out the springs.
    Springs get worn out from use not sitting in any one postition.
    Last edited by phreddy; August 8th, 2012 at 08:37 AM. Reason: trying to fix quote

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I"ll have to say 1911. I wanted another .45, and was looking at a RIA, but stumbled across a steal for a Springfield with upgrades. I figured that the 1911 would be more of a house gun and occasional CC piece but still favoring my .357 snub.

Now, I carry my 1911 and occasionally add a PT-22 as a bug.

I still love my .357- very possibly my favorite round- but my 1911 is top. It's more accurate, it holds more rounds, and it's much better for follow up shots- since .45 doesn't tend to kick like a .357. Also, there's a lot of 'wonderful' history behind the 1911- even if you get a new one, it has history behind it. So does a longer barreled .357, but... unless it's a single action, the .357 just doesn't give the same 'old' feeling in my opinion.

You're debating between two of my favorite guns/calibers and I'm starting to argue against myself. I've never felt under gunned with either, but I always think about my .357 and just how quickly 6 rounds can 'disappear', and how difficult a fast reload can be. It's just as easy to empty a 1911, if not easier, but you have 7-10 rounds, and it's a lot easier to 'reach out' and touch someone.

Go with whichever one you think will make you happier. Just remember that it's hard to pick the 'wrong gun'- especially between those two.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

If you're debating between a 1911 and a .357 revolver...

You'll eventually end up buying both.

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
    --George Washington

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    Both are good choices. I am a revolver guy, and nobody thinks the 357 lacks anything for any purpose. And you can shoot 38 special. For myself, i try to stick to just a few calibers to simplify my life and save money. But the 1911 is a wonderful platform. You have a nice "problem" and either choice will be good. Enjoy!
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Get the Smith&Wesson. Or, save a little longer and get a quality 1911. The mistake people make is by settling for the cheapest just because they want it NOW. Then they handle a gun of the same platform by a quality maker and know they screwed up. Dont be that person. Buy quality, buy once and be happier with your choice.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    You already know the answer: both! The question is more like, which one first?! I would get a Ruger gp 100 saving you $200 give or take, then start saving for a 1911. That's what I sort of did.
    Good advice
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I'm not a good one to ask as I will always favor a 1911,however I like the .357 a lot if you ever start reloading a .357 has such a wide range of loads.
    I have a Buddy that has owned a Colt 1911 Gold Cup for 10 or more years & is very proud & happy with it. Well now in this year alone he has bought 3 RIA's & has been shooting the hell out of them. He tells me his RIA's are on par with his Gold Cup as far as quailty goes. I don't know if I quite belive that....but he does own 3 of 'em.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I don't have any revolvers (yet) but I love my 1911. They are classic.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Thanks for all the replys. I've been looking at alot of reviews on the RIA's and from what I see and heard from most of you is that they are low cost but very reliable guns that can be upgraded as I wish when I have time and money and still be less expensive than a sig,colt, or s&w. It would be cool to make it more personalized by doing it myself than just buying it already done. I still am not sure what I will get first though I'm leaning to the s&w 686 just to get the expensive one out of the way then get the RIA next for my birthday. I also heard about the american classic 1911's from another member on here and now I'm checking them out also to see if they would be a better option than the RIA's.

VIP Member
    If I was you.... I would go with the 686 6" because you can hunt with it and the 357 mag packs a good punch. My first hand gun was a 1911 and I love them but since you have your carry gun already I would go with the S&W.

Which one fits your hand the best?

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    Springs get worn out from use not sitting in any one postition.

^ Exactly.

This is one of the first things I researched when I bought my first handgun. Loading/unloading is much worse than just leaving it loaded, and no matter how long you leave it loaded for it will still function when you need it. People recommend leaving 1 or 2 rounds out of the magazine if you plan on storing it for many years. Please note that I am talking about modern magazines, not mags that were made 40+ years ago...

And if you have doubts about it, you can rotate the mags, so don't let that have any impact on your decision.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

I have a real soft spot for 1911s and own a half-dozen or so but SW makes nice revolvers. Your really need to handle and shoot both and decide for yourself. I will say that you should find the SW less of a maintenance worry than a 1911, and with the basic RIA I would bet you'll end up spending more on mags, sights and other upgrades.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    You already know the answer: both! The question is more like, which one first?! I would get a Ruger gp 100 saving you $200 give or take, then start saving for a 1911. That's what I sort of did.
    ^^^ Here is the answer you seek ^^^
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links