Defensive Carry banner

1911 or revolver?

6K views 30 replies 30 participants last post by  Once 
#1 ·
I have a problem. First I thought about saving up for a s&w 686 .357 mag. in a 6" barrel, it would be used for home defence and range use it would cost around 6-7 hundred bucks. Then I was looking online at some 1911's which were expensive and nice but way out of my price range then I saw one made by RIA "Rock Island Armory" and the price's were about $400 or so, It also would be used for home defence and range shooting. now I cant make up my mind what to get. I already have a .357 revolver its a 3" ruger sp101 that i carry all the time and i also have a s&w m&p .40 full size. the one good thing about the 1911 is that it's cheaper than the s&w it is another cal. for varity plus i could customize it as i like and still be cheaper than the 686 and I always wanted a.45 if you had to pick between these two what would yoou pick and why?

#2 ·
Ford or Chevy? Nobody can answer this one but you friend. They are both legendary guns and legendary chamberings.

RIA makes a decent 1911 if that helps.

#4 ·
I agree. I own both (586 and two Rock Island 1911s - 4" and 5"). The S&W is a masterpiece (yeah, I know others make the list too) and I've had zero issues with it. My Rock Island 1911s were mil-spec out of the box and both have since had a makeover. Both are very accurate, eat everything they are fed and function flawlessly. If you go the mil-spec route, do yourself a favor and get the tactical accessories (extended beavertail, etc.) and a heavier spring. My 5" spring was too light. The heavier spring gives me better control in rapid fire situations. Either way, you can't go wrong.

#6 ·
The revolver has certain advantages. I once got so sick I couldn't work the slide on a 1911. Also, imagine if you injured one arm. How will you clear a malfunction? It's in times of weakness and injury that you need your weapons the most.

Lastly, you can leave a loaded revolver in the drawer forever. But since the 1911 uses magazines, you'll need to rotate them so you don't tire out the springs.

On the other hand you get 8+1 shots, ease of reloading, and nice style.

Does anyone like ATI 1911s? Those are cheap, too.

#7 ·
There's a thread around about Rock Island that I just read. From what I read there, I'm really tempted to finally pick up a 1911.

Sent from my palm device.. so please excuse any typos.

#8 ·
I love my 1911s:

Coonan 357 Magnum 1911
Ed Brown Special Forces
Guncrafter No Name 1911
Mars T.H.U.G.

I love my revolvers:

Smith Pro Series 627 4", 8 rounds
Smith Performance Center 627 5", 8 rounds
Python 8"
Python 4"
GP100 6"

Your choice is between a mid-level 357 versus an entry level 1911. Nothing wrong with Rock Island but even if you put a few hundred to get it up to speed (night sights, trigger job, Wilson Combat mags), you still have a $400 gun. You get a Smith and you're going to keep much of its value. To answer your original question, I'd get a Smith 686 over a RIA 1911.

The Smith has a 7 round capacity. You already have a 357 but your confidence and accuracy will be superior to the SP101 with the 686. You will have two more rounds of 357 and you don't need to diversify your ammo supplies. The Ruger GP 100 is a nice one, but it's only 6 rounds.

The RIA will be a decent gun. But it's near rock bottom for a 1911. The trigger is no where near as good as others out of the box. You'd be better served going up to a Springfield, Ruger SR1911 or even a Sig 1911.

#9 ·
If you absolutely know that this is the revolver that you want to ultimately purchase, then I would think about getting that first and take the time that you're saving for the 1911 and use it for some good price, brand and quality research. Best of luck!

#12 ·
Everyone needs a 1911! RIA makes a good entry level 1911, reasonably priced, don't hear of a lot of problems with them, and readily upgradable.

#13 ·
I just recently became a 1911 fan when I bought a colt. Now I am looking to add more of them to my stash. I have a 686 and love it. It was my wife's fav. She used to claim it was her gun. You can't go wrong with either one but right now I would choose the 1911. Been looking at some Kimbers and also a Springfield.

#15 ·
I'll vote 1911, but mostly because I've been pining for one for a good long while now.

#17 ·
I"ll have to say 1911. I wanted another .45, and was looking at a RIA, but stumbled across a steal for a Springfield with upgrades. I figured that the 1911 would be more of a house gun and occasional CC piece but still favoring my .357 snub.

Now, I carry my 1911 and occasionally add a PT-22 as a bug.

I still love my .357- very possibly my favorite round- but my 1911 is top. It's more accurate, it holds more rounds, and it's much better for follow up shots- since .45 doesn't tend to kick like a .357. Also, there's a lot of 'wonderful' history behind the 1911- even if you get a new one, it has history behind it. So does a longer barreled .357, but... unless it's a single action, the .357 just doesn't give the same 'old' feeling in my opinion.

You're debating between two of my favorite guns/calibers and I'm starting to argue against myself. I've never felt under gunned with either, but I always think about my .357 and just how quickly 6 rounds can 'disappear', and how difficult a fast reload can be. It's just as easy to empty a 1911, if not easier, but you have 7-10 rounds, and it's a lot easier to 'reach out' and touch someone. :image035:

Go with whichever one you think will make you happier. Just remember that it's hard to pick the 'wrong gun'- especially between those two.

#20 ·
Both are good choices. I am a revolver guy, and nobody thinks the 357 lacks anything for any purpose. And you can shoot 38 special. For myself, i try to stick to just a few calibers to simplify my life and save money. But the 1911 is a wonderful platform. You have a nice "problem" and either choice will be good. Enjoy!

#21 ·
Get the Smith&Wesson. Or, save a little longer and get a quality 1911. The mistake people make is by settling for the cheapest just because they want it NOW. Then they handle a gun of the same platform by a quality maker and know they screwed up. Dont be that person. Buy quality, buy once and be happier with your choice.

#23 ·
I'm not a good one to ask as I will always favor a 1911,however I like the .357 a lot if you ever start reloading a .357 has such a wide range of loads.
I have a Buddy that has owned a Colt 1911 Gold Cup for 10 or more years & is very proud & happy with it. Well now in this year alone he has bought 3 RIA's & has been shooting the hell out of them. He tells me his RIA's are on par with his Gold Cup as far as quailty goes. I don't know if I quite belive that....but he does own 3 of 'em.

#24 ·
I don't have any revolvers (yet) but I love my 1911. They are classic.

#25 ·
Thanks for all the replys. I've been looking at alot of reviews on the RIA's and from what I see and heard from most of you is that they are low cost but very reliable guns that can be upgraded as I wish when I have time and money and still be less expensive than a sig,colt, or s&w. It would be cool to make it more personalized by doing it myself than just buying it already done. I still am not sure what I will get first though I'm leaning to the s&w 686 just to get the expensive one out of the way then get the RIA next for my birthday. I also heard about the american classic 1911's from another member on here and now I'm checking them out also to see if they would be a better option than the RIA's.

#26 ·
If I was you.... I would go with the 686 6" because you can hunt with it and the 357 mag packs a good punch. My first hand gun was a 1911 and I love them but since you have your carry gun already I would go with the S&W.

#29 ·
I have a real soft spot for 1911s and own a half-dozen or so but SW makes nice revolvers. Your really need to handle and shoot both and decide for yourself. I will say that you should find the SW less of a maintenance worry than a 1911, and with the basic RIA I would bet you'll end up spending more on mags, sights and other upgrades.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.