1911 or revolver?

This is a discussion on 1911 or revolver? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a problem. First I thought about saving up for a s&w 686 .357 mag. in a 6" barrel, it would be used for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 1911 or revolver?

1911 or revolver?

I have a problem. First I thought about saving up for a s&w 686 .357 mag. in a 6" barrel, it would be used for home defence and range use it would cost around 6-7 hundred bucks. Then I was looking online at some 1911's which were expensive and nice but way out of my price range then I saw one made by RIA "Rock Island Armory" and the price's were about $400 or so, It also would be used for home defence and range shooting. now I cant make up my mind what to get. I already have a .357 revolver its a 3" ruger sp101 that i carry all the time and i also have a s&w m&p .40 full size. the one good thing about the 1911 is that it's cheaper than the s&w it is another cal. for varity plus i could customize it as i like and still be cheaper than the 686 and I always wanted a.45 if you had to pick between these two what would yoou pick and why?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Ford or Chevy? Nobody can answer this one but you friend. They are both legendary guns and legendary chamberings.

RIA makes a decent 1911 if that helps.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by usmc0811 View Post
    I have a problem. First I thought about saving up for a s&w 686 .357 mag. in a 6" barrel, it would be used for home defence and range use it would cost around 6-7 hundred bucks. Then I was looking online at some 1911's which were expensive and nice but way out of my price range then I saw one made by RIA "Rock Island Armory" and the price's were about $400 or so, It also would be used for home defence and range shooting. now I cant make up my mind what to get. I already have a .357 revolver its a 3" ruger sp101 that i carry all the time and i also have a s&w m&p .40 full size. the one good thing about the 1911 is that it's cheaper than the s&w it is another cal. for varity plus i could customize it as i like and still be cheaper than the 686 and I always wanted a.45 if you had to pick between these two what would yoou pick and why?
    Why choose between those two? If your budget is $700, you can get a hell of a nice Springfield 1911. Trust me, they really are nice. The 1911 platform is just so cool. I'm not so sure about rock island though.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Ford or Chevy? Nobody can answer this one but you friend. They are both legendary guns and legendary chamberings.

RIA makes a decent 1911 if that helps.
    I agree. I own both (586 and two Rock Island 1911s - 4" and 5"). The S&W is a masterpiece (yeah, I know others make the list too) and I've had zero issues with it. My Rock Island 1911s were mil-spec out of the box and both have since had a makeover. Both are very accurate, eat everything they are fed and function flawlessly. If you go the mil-spec route, do yourself a favor and get the tactical accessories (extended beavertail, etc.) and a heavier spring. My 5" spring was too light. The heavier spring gives me better control in rapid fire situations. Either way, you can't go wrong.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

You already know the answer: both! The question is more like, which one first?! I would get a Ruger gp 100 saving you $200 give or take, then start saving for a 1911. That's what I sort of did.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

The revolver has certain advantages. I once got so sick I couldn't work the slide on a 1911. Also, imagine if you injured one arm. How will you clear a malfunction? It's in times of weakness and injury that you need your weapons the most.

Lastly, you can leave a loaded revolver in the drawer forever. But since the 1911 uses magazines, you'll need to rotate them so you don't tire out the springs.

On the other hand you get 8+1 shots, ease of reloading, and nice style.

Does anyone like ATI 1911s? Those are cheap, too.

VIP Member
    There's a thread around about Rock Island that I just read. From what I read there, I'm really tempted to finally pick up a 1911.

Sent from my palm device.. so please excuse any typos.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I love my 1911s:

Coonan 357 Magnum 1911
    Ed Brown Special Forces
    Guncrafter No Name 1911
    Mars T.H.U.G.

I love my revolvers:

Smith Pro Series 627 4", 8 rounds
    Smith Performance Center 627 5", 8 rounds
    Python 8"
    Python 4"
    GP100 6"

Your choice is between a mid-level 357 versus an entry level 1911. Nothing wrong with Rock Island but even if you put a few hundred to get it up to speed (night sights, trigger job, Wilson Combat mags), you still have a $400 gun. You get a Smith and you're going to keep much of its value. To answer your original question, I'd get a Smith 686 over a RIA 1911.

The Smith has a 7 round capacity. You already have a 357 but your confidence and accuracy will be superior to the SP101 with the 686. You will have two more rounds of 357 and you don't need to diversify your ammo supplies. The Ruger GP 100 is a nice one, but it's only 6 rounds.

The RIA will be a decent gun. But it's near rock bottom for a 1911. The trigger is no where near as good as others out of the box. You'd be better served going up to a Springfield, Ruger SR1911 or even a Sig 1911.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

If you absolutely know that this is the revolver that you want to ultimately purchase, then I would think about getting that first and take the time that you're saving for the 1911 and use it for some good price, brand and quality research. Best of luck!
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

i have both Smith revolvers and a Kimber Gold Match 1911.

in your place, i would buy the Smith or save just a little more for a Springfield Armory Range Officer.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    You already know the answer: both! The question is more like, which one first?! I would get a Ruger gp 100 saving you $200 give or take, then start saving for a 1911. That's what I sort of did.
    Looked at a GP100 the other day.... That's one badass looking revolver. I'll have one someday down the road.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Everyone needs a 1911! RIA makes a good entry level 1911, reasonably priced, don't hear of a lot of problems with them, and readily upgradable.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I just recently became a 1911 fan when I bought a colt. Now I am looking to add more of them to my stash. I have a 686 and love it. It was my wife's fav. She used to claim it was her gun. You can't go wrong with either one but right now I would choose the 1911. Been looking at some Kimbers and also a Springfield.

Both a good revolver and a 1911 have their place and only you can decide what you want. For a revolver I bought a Smith and Wesson 649 shrouded hammer 357. I like the looks and the price ($629 + tax) of the Ruger SR 1911 and it is on my short list.

I'll vote 1911, but mostly because I've been pining for one for a good long while now.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links