How many practice shooting with both hands?

This is a discussion on How many practice shooting with both hands? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; When I took shooting lessons my instructor insisted I learn to shoot with both hands. What if at the one time you need your firearm ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: How many practice shooting with both hands?

When I took shooting lessons my instructor insisted I learn to shoot with both hands. What if at the one time you need your firearm your SH is injured? What if you just can't get a shot with your SH? You could end up fighting for your life and the BG might have a hold of you with the hand you normally shoot with. I am just wondering how many train with both hands.

I always fire a few rounds (at least a magazine or two) with my off hand whenever I hit the range.

I think your instructor was right on the mark. It's also a good idea to learn to run the gun one handed.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

I shoot a few mags with both hands and then I will shoot one or two single handed in each hand. I also practice using both my dominant and left eye for the same reason of eye injury.

I have not practiced for an oh "stuff" moment and tried drawing with my off hand. I guess considering I wear strong side at about 4 o'clock I should start.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    You want to be the most acurate you can be if you ever have to use your weapon in SD. For just about everyone, that means the use of both hands. So your instructor is right. If your instructor said you should only practice with both hands, that would be incorrect. You should practice one-handed shooting in the event one hand is disabled or otherwise engaged.
    hienykins and nerdyvirgin like this.

VIP Member
    I have been shooting with my non weapon hand for a long time. Way back when at 50 yards you shot right and left handed barricade so you had to know what you were doing.

Surprisingly many shooters actually shot better in that segment because whether they were realizing it or not they were concentrating on the fundementals, sight picture, trigger squeeze and so on, where with their weapon hand they had become used to it. Whenever I dryfire I practice an equal number of reloads with both hands just to keep my brain and butt wired so if the occasion arises I don't fumble in the time of need.

Running the gun with one hand is a plus. I am at the age now and have put my body through so much that I am carrying AIWB more often than not and moving equipment ever so slightly forward so I can reach it with either hand. My shoulders simply don't move the way they did when I was younger.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I do.

Distinguished Member
    Yes, I shoot some rounds with weak hand with two hand grip (that one is just really wierd feeling), weak hand only and of course one handed with strong hand.
    I have set up a bb range in my garage and get lots of good cheap practice with all this and of course do it all with live rounds at the range. Strange though, I have found I'm really a decent shot with my weak hand. I think its because I'm right handed but left eye dominant.
    hienykins likes this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

of course! learn to shoot 2 handed, strong side and weak side! if you have the opportunity try hip shooting too.

VIP Member
    Both hands, strong hand, weak hand, strong hand drawing from strong side position, weak hand drawing from strong side position. Strong hand drawing from weak side (bug) position.

Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    Yes, I shoot some rounds with weak hand with two hand grip (that one is just really wierd feeling), weak hand only and of course one handed with strong hand.
    I have set up a bb range in my garage and get lots of good cheap practice with all this and of course do it all with live rounds at the range. Strange though, I have found I'm really a decent shot with my weak hand. I think its because I'm right handed but left eye dominant.
    I am the same so try to practice with BOTH hands and eyes. use either eye and both for some shots by concentrating on front sight!
    NRA Member
    Ruger LC9
    Taurus PT92 AF
    Mosin-Nagant 91/30 (2)
    If you are going to shoot at Mimes, should you use a silencer?? ( Steven Wright)

I guess I got lucky in this one. When I was a kid I was left eye dominant so I shot left handed. Grew up a little and became right eye dominant (damn astigmatisms) so I switched to right hand shooting. Now I train with both to keep proficient.

You need to practice shooting with both hands and strong and weak hand only. Run all your failure drills the same way. Practice shooting from unusual positions as well........ it is all good.
    mcp1810 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Here is a drill I have people I help to learn to shoot go through each time we're at the range:

1. First magazine 10 rounds - Two hand in there strongest stance and presentation.
    2. Second magazine 10 rounds - Strong Hand
    3. Third magazine 10 rounds - weak/off hand
    4. Fourth magazine 10 rounds of two hand - head shot only.

This is 40 rounds, less than a box, and it give the shooter muscle memory. This is the FIRST thing as you won't have a warm up if the SHTF!

After that we go to ether a 22LR pistol or their carry piece and we use these target (see link below) and I call out the numbers for a magazine. I call five numbers - Two rounds a number. Magazines are normally 10 rounds, if less I call number equal to the rounds in the magazine.

Law Enforcement Targets, Inc.: DT-2A (23" x 35") ON 24 X 45 CARDBOARD (BAC-2)

Law Enforcement Targets, Inc.: 4 Color Discretionary Target, Version A

Hope this helps.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

I practice with both hands every time out. I am still a much better shooter right handed.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links