Owning 2 or more of the same exact gun- Pros & Cons?

This is a discussion on Owning 2 or more of the same exact gun- Pros & Cons? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does anyone own more than one of the same handgun? What are the advantages and disadvantages of that? Thanks...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Owning 2 or more of the same exact gun- Pros & Cons?

Does anyone own more than one of the same handgun? What are the advantages and disadvantages of that?

Thanks

You might end up getting a third. Not sure whether that's pro or con.
    ArmyMan and bigmacque like this.

VIP Member
    The only disadvantages are that you are out of the money to buy the second gun and the second gun takes up as much room in your safe as the first gun.

Seriously, there are no practical advantages or disadvantages for a civvie.

Quote Originally Posted by Clodbert View Post
    Does anyone own more than one of the same handgun?
    Depends on the gun.

Of the two dozen or so different handguns I've owned, the only one I've had two of is the CZ P-01 9mm.

Advantages include the simple expedient of having a spare, same manual of arms, no retraining the muscles/mind to accommodate different features, same ammo, as well as compatibility with the existing holsters that I have. You never know when a gun might be temporarily out of action, whether due to a loosened/broken part, a jam that cannot be immediately cleared, taken as evidence due to a defensive situation, or lost/stolen.

Disadvantages include the need to buy and break-in a second gun, but then that would have to be done no matter the brand/model. Of course, in a situation in which a larger/smaller or different caliber gun would be advantageous, having the second one doesn't help.

Overall, I'd say that if you've found a given gun that works exceptionally well for you, there's little lost by having a second one around.
    Macantic and Chuck R. like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

a few reasons I could come up with;

I have a second NIB G19 in a 5gal bucket with a bunch of ammo and a holster in my basement with my food storage for whoever needs it. currently the only duplicate I have.

some people buy and share their guns with their entire family. my father keeps a few Marlin 336's and AR10's in his safe so my brothers and sister and i don't need to bring anything when we go to TX to hunt hogs with him.

some people compete with certain firearms and having a backup is important.

stockpiling certain guns thought to soon be hard or illegal to buy is common.

dual wield cuz you're a stone cold boss.

arsenal.
    kmf0925 and BigJon10125 like this.

Of the exact same gun?

That's something I wouldn't do...it just seems like a waste of money. I don't see any advantage, but I guess there's no harm, either.

Exactly, what he said!
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Depends on the gun.

Of the two dozen or so different handguns I've owned, the only one I've had two of is the CZ P-01 9mm.

Advantages include the simple expedient of having a spare, same manual of arms, no retraining the muscles/mind to accommodate different features, same ammo, as well as compatibility with the existing holsters that I have. You never know when a gun might be temporarily out of action, whether due to a loosened/broken part, a jam that cannot be immediately cleared, taken as evidence due to a defensive situation, or lost/stolen.

Disadvantages include the need to buy and break-in a second gun, but then that would have to be done no matter the brand/model. Of course, in a situation in which a larger/smaller or different caliber gun would be advantageous, having the second one doesn't help.

Overall, I'd say that if you've found a given gun that works exceptionally well for you, there's little lost by having a second one around.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Depends on the gun.

This. I'm in the process of selling my G31 just so I can buy another G32, as I like it a little more.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Clodbert View Post
    Does anyone own more than one of the same handgun? What are the advantages and disadvantages of that?
    At this point in time, no. I would buy another PA-63, just for parts if nothing else, but I'd probably fix it up and flip it. I prefer older guns and one advantage is having a parts gun.

I have a S&W 49 and a 649. Same snubnose revolvers except one is blued and one is stainless. Advantage? I have more S&W snubbies. Disadvantage? None. I didn't forego something else to get the stainless one...I just wanted it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    If it's a gun that is a limited run or special edition, owning two would be good for a selling one down the road for profit.

Of course, collectors can own several of a particular type.

Personally, the only guns worth having more than one of aren't made of plastic.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

VIP Member
    I have two Sig 229's. I didn't intend to own two, but it happened as a mistake. I fire one, the other is NIB, I think I could get my money back at anytime, I just haven't tried.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    I have 2 of the same model, just different calibers. I don't see a pro or con to it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

If you're a sportsman, you'd probably want two different types - merely to keep your training variable.

If it's for self-defense, then there's only a tiny marginal benefit. The second gun is buying a LOT less practicality than the first.

If the second gun is for your significant other, then I can see a lot of benefit getting two of the same guns, because the training would be easier.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Definitely depends on the gun. I have two S&W .357's, and there are a ton of folks around here that love little snubby's so much that they have small collections of them.

But a case in point: I have a .38, a Military & Police of the 1905 change that was shipped to a LtCol 45 days after Pearl Harbor. The gun was part of a shipment of 18 guns; if I ever found any one or any number of the other ones that were in that shipment, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Well, depending on reasonable cost of course.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links