Sig P225

This is a discussion on Sig P225 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I picked up a Sig P225 the other day, circa 1980's. I was surprised to find it had a mag release on the bottom of ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mcp1810

Thread: Sig P225

Sig P225

I picked up a Sig P225 the other day, circa 1980's. I was surprised to find it had a mag release on the bottom of the grip commonly referred to as "European" mag release. I googled it and found very few articled or even pictures of the P225 with that specific mag release. All of the results I came up with have the regular mag release on the side. Some one suggested it was the Sig P6, but that came up with the side mag release as well. Any one know the special designation for this pistol? I am trying to order some replacement grips and mags but both are specific to their model. Any info would be GREATLY appreciated!
    2nd Amendment, the one that protects the rest!

2. Remove Ads

Sig-Sauer made the Sig P-6 for consideration as a police pistol for the German government. the government ended up adopting seven* of the pistols submitted for testing: the three that i know of are the Walther P-5, later sold in the US with that same designation; the Heckler & Koch P-7, PSP, later sold in the US with the same designation; and the Sig-Sauer P-6, later sold in the US as the P-225. apparently some P-225's were made with the European-style, butt-heel magazine release, while others received the American style, left side of grip behind the trigger-guard, mag release. the H&K also had the butt heel style mag release. i don't know about the Walther.

*i always thought the Germans adopted just three pistols, but when i looked through old magazines for more information for the OP, one source said they adopted seven different guns.

i don't know if Sig made only one magazine design to work with both types of release, or if the magazines were specific to the location of the pistol's release position. i believe that the two styles of P-6/P-225 should be identical except for those parts relating to how the magazine was released.

some years ago, gunwriter Duane Thomas, then a P-225 owner, detailed problems he began to have with unreliable feeding, which he traced to the magazines' feed lips spreading apart after many years of use. i don't know if he ever discovered a cure.

i know this doesn't answer your key questions, but i hope my information will clarify some points for you.

There are "P6" magazines and "P225" magazines. The P6 magazines do not have the notch in the front for the American style magazine catch to engage. This is one advantage of having a european style magazine catch on your pistol. You can use either one. One thing to be aware of is that the feed ramps on the P6 barrels are slightly different from the P255. The P6 spec was for FMJ ammo and some do not feed hollow points well. If yours seems to have a problem with hollow points you can either have a smith work it or you can drop in a commercial P225 spec barrel.

ETA: P6 pistols also have a distinctive hammer. The spur has a slot and hole through it so if the pistol is dropped on the hammer it is immediately evident. Regular P225s have the "normal" solid hammer.
    sensei2 likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    There are "P6" magazines and "P225" magazines. The P6 magazines do not have the notch in the front for the American style magazine catch to engage. This is one advantage of having a european style magazine catch on your pistol. You can use either one. One thing to be aware of is that the feed ramps on the P6 barrels are slightly different from the P255. The P6 spec was for FMJ ammo and some do not feed hollow points well. If yours seems to have a problem with hollow points you can either have a smith work it or you can drop in a commercial P225 spec barrel.

ETA: P6 pistols also have a distinctive hammer. The spur has a slot and hole through it so if the pistol is dropped on the hammer it is immediately evident. Regular P225s have the "normal" solid hammer.

dear mcp1810: thanks for increasing my knowledge of this pistol!

VIP Member
    I own a P6 with the standard mag release that was a German Police Issue pistol and is one of my favorite carry guns by the way. I also own a P220, in 9mm, that was also a German Police Pistol that has the European Mag Release. I think a lot depends on what time frame the gun was made.

Americans obviously like a conventional mag release but the Europeans normally issued only two mags with each gun. Supposedly the heel mag release encouraged the officer to maintain control of the empty mag instead of just ejecting it to the ground.

When I ordered mags for the 220 I did not have to specify what type mag to get. As stated if you have a gun with the heel type release it makes no difference as the mag catch cuts in the mag don't do anything.

SIG 220 9mm

SIG P6
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Thanks for all the info guys! The reason I am asking about the mags is when you look at aftermarket mags they have a plastic bottom that will break in a hearbeat with a bottom mag release. I have concluded I can only use the stock metal bottomed mags. As far as the grips go with the notch for the mag release on the "American" P225 I guess it would only look out of place??
    2nd Amendment, the one that protects the rest!

Quote Originally Posted by sensei2 View Post
    dear mcp1810: thanks for increasing my knowledge of this pistol!
    You are more than welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahnkem View Post
    Thanks for all the info guys! The reason I am asking about the mags is when you look at aftermarket mags they have a plastic bottom that will break in a hearbeat with a bottom mag release. I have concluded I can only use the stock metal bottomed mags. As far as the grips go with the notch for the mag release on the "American" P225 I guess it would only look out of place??
    Forget the aftermarket magazines. They are junk. The only down side to this pistol is that the only decent (reliable for carry) magazines are the factory ones which means they are a little expensive. Some folks have bought the Promag ones and replaced the springs with Wolff springs and had decent luck with them, but they have the plastic base plate that wont work with the heel clip release.

With all of the P6s that have been released to the surplus market lately you might be able to find some used magazines at gun shows. Or you can still buy them new from Sig. Unfortunately there is not a lot out there as far as aftermarket grips. Pachmayr did another run of their signature grips for them a couple of years ago. They are a little fatter than the factory plastic but not like gripping a P228. Other than that about all I have seen are fancy wood ones. The wood can sometimes be ordered specifically for mag release style.

I think these are great pistols. All of their shortcomings if you want to call them that are simply a lack of aftermarket bells and whistles. If you are buying one of these to simply use it as the tool it was designed to be they are excellent.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Links