Nugent Bets Bill O’Reilly $10,000 He Can NOT Buy a Machine

This is a discussion on Nugent Bets Bill O’Reilly $10,000 He Can NOT Buy a Machine within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Nugent Bets Bill O’Reilly $10,000 He Can NOT Buy a Machine Gun in 30 Days Nugent Bets Bill O When it comes to guns, there ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Nugent Bets Bill O’Reilly $10,000 He Can NOT Buy a Machine

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar

Nugent Bets Bill O’Reilly $10,000 He Can NOT Buy a Machine

Nugent Bets Bill O’Reilly $10,000 He Can NOT Buy a Machine Gun in 30 Days

Nugent Bets Bill O

When it comes to guns, there is plenty of spin in Bill O’Reilly’s “No Spin Zone.” The zone has been infected with a bad case of yellow journalism.
    Mr. O’Reilly is either woefully ignorant of the most basic of firearm laws, nomenclature, rules and requirements, or he has a clear anti-gun agenda and is a willing puppet for those who want to end the Second Amendment.
    Mr. O’Reilly recently stated on his TV program, “The O’Reilly Factor,” that anyone in America can go out and buy a machine gun or bazooka without any reporting requirements at all.

Are you kidding me?

Nothing, of course, could be further from the truth. While owning machine guns is legal, it has been intensely restricted since 1934. There is a labyrinth of federal, state and local requirements one must comply with in order to own a fully automatic weapon, short-barreled rifle or sound suppressor.

I sent Bill a note and challenged him that I would donate $10,000 to the charity of his choice if anyone on his staff can go out and legally buy a machine gun or bazooka in the next 30 days without the federal government knowing about it. No word back yet from the “No Spin Zone” guy.

There are roughly 250,000 legally owned machine guns in America — half are owned by private citizens and the other half are owned by police departments. Since 1934, there have only been two homicides committed with legally owned machine guns. Leave it to the MotorCity Madman to give you the real “no-spin” truth regarding firepower in America.

Mr. No Spin Zone must surely be spinning now that the facts have revealed his ignorance or his intentional anti-gun spin. It makes a guy wonder what other information he has been spinning instead of telling his viewers the bold, honest truth.
    Similar to the slew of left-wing anti-gun ideologues, Mr. O’Reilly is guilty as sin as it pertains to telling his viewers the truth about guns.
    The truth it seems, however interesting, is apparently irrelevant to the media, including Mr. O’Reilly.

I’ve watched countless media windbags over the last 40 years either play fast and loose with the facts or overtly lie about guns to push an anti-gun agenda. That’s why all of the gun owners I know don’t trust the media when it comes to accurate information about guns.
    The real truth about guns and crimes is simple to learn, which is why Mr. O’Reilly’s statements have more in common with his previous entertainment television gig “Inside Edition” than his vaunted “The O’Reilly Factor” on Fox.
    Because of his woefully ignorant statements or his anti-gun beliefs, I’ll be much more suspicious of anything Mr. O’Reilly says.
    Americans are owed the truth by our media. They are supposed to be the fourth arm of society, the watchdogs of our government. When we can’t trust the media (and there are ample reasons to not trust them), then it is even more incumbent upon us to dig deep and learn the truth about any number of issues.

Let’s see just how big a man Mr. O’Reilly is and whether he tells his viewers that he and his crack staff of researchers got it all wrong, as wrong as wrong can be. Let’s see how he tries to spin himself and his staff out of this balderdash.

Mr. O’Reilly has been caught red-handed in a web of ignorance or falsehood. Until he comes clean, I suggest watching his program with a jaundiced eye. I’m sure even Mr. O’Reilly knows that once his credibility with his audience is gone, the gig is up.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I saw the segment where the Congressman patiently tried to explain the law to Bill but he was off on a rant about easy availability. I usually enjoy O'Reilly, but that show certainly gave me reason to doubt his staff's ability to research facts as well as Bill's knowledge. Bill made a complete fool of himself. Not just him of course... anytime I see some knucklehead say "anyone can buy a machine gun at a gun show", I say reply, "Then show us, on camera, today, with cash!" Knuckleheads!

Senior Moderator
    It would appear that Mr. O'Reilly is woefully ignorant of the facts. Once he does a little research, he'll see that current Form 4 approvals are running anywhere from 6-10 months.

Meaning that, IF you could locate a an M16 or any other machine gun, and you bought it today, with the ATF approval you might have it by the beggining of next year.

He may as well pay Ted the 10k ,be done with it and call it a mistake of ignorance.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Moderator
    Heck, with the current processing time for tax stamps, he could have safely bet O'Reilly that he couldn't lawfully buy a machine-gun in 30 days ar all.
    sid1 and CaptSmith like this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Gotta loveTed.
    He's spot on about the media.
    Spirit51 likes this.

Here is the interview in question.
    http://video.foxnews.com/v/175231871...-control-idea/

I'll take te bet. O'Reilly appears to be less than objective. He's starting to fall into the same plane as David Letterman except on the opposite end of the spectrum. Just an angry old man. He can't have a debate as he doesn't allow his guest to speak. He talks at everyone and discounts view points other than his own. He could just as easily have a rock in the chair with a written name of the guest on a post-it-note.
    Spirit51, sensei2 and nerdyvirgin like this.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Not exactly a stretch for Nugent, given the reality of the turnaround time on BigBro's tax stamps. But if O's claims have been that any idiot can quickly and lawfully acquire a full-auto machine gun, then he's in for a rude surprise. Still, even if surprised by the reality, I'm sure his media machine staff will spin it to best effect (or, least damage), and the average Joe will still have the impression that any idiot thug can acquire dangerous stuff easily.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Bill should have realized how screwed his "facts" were when he said the Colorado shooter had bought 60,000 rounds of ammo on the internet in the last 30 days. The shooter had bought 6,000 rounds, of assorted caliber ammo, not 60,000 rounds. Of course he also spouted the same crap everyone else in the press did about those terrible "AK's". Who cares if the shooter had a AR variant, why cloud up the issue with facts.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Does the bet specify legally?
    I wonder if someone could get an illegal machine-gun for less than $10k in 30 days?
    paramedic70002 likes this.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Bill should have realized how screwed his "facts" were when he said the Colorado shooter had bought 60,000 rounds of ammo on the internet in the last 30 days. The shooter had bought 6,000 rounds, of assorted caliber ammo, not 60,000 rounds. Of course he also spouted the same crap everyone else in the press did about those terrible "AK's". Who cares if the shooter had a AR variant, why cloud up the issue with facts.
    I had to replay this twice to make sure I heard that correctly also.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    Does the bet specify legally?
    I wonder if someone could get an illegal machine-gun for less than $10k in 30 days?
    From the article:

I sent Bill a note and challenged him that I would donate $10,000 to the charity of his choice if anyone on his staff can go out and legally buy a machine gun or bazooka in the next 30 days without the federal government knowing about it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Ugh. I know too many 'conservatives' that worship at the feet of O'Reilly. They believe whatever he tells them to.
    sid1 and Sig35seven like this.

MJK
    I usually don't entertain responding to stories in which the news reporter is the news, but this incident cries out as an exception.

In this day and age information is readily available to anyone, anytime, anyplace. A professional broadcaster like Bill O'Reilly pays a hefty sum of money to hire and maintain a professional research staff. It's ludicrous to think the facts weren't available, discovered and communicated to Mr. O'Reilly before the broadcast. Hence I am left to conclude that he ignored the facts and broadcast this point of view for some other reason(s).

It may very well be that O'Reilly harbors anti-2A bias and that contributed to his choice to air this nonsense. But in my opinion the real reason he broadcast this was that he is an entertainer in search of conflict and controversy for the purpose of increasing the popularity of his show. High popularity means higher ratings, which translates directly into more advertising revenue and increased earnings for Fox and their shareholders.

It's the American way...but regretfully "the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth" is a casualty.

Just my $0.02.
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

O'Reilly has really been showing his arse lately on these firearm issues. Im not a fan at all.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links