Off Duty LEO's at my local range

This is a discussion on Off Duty LEO's at my local range within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well I was shooting at the range last night like me and a friend do every week,before he got there about 5 or 6 guys ...

Like Tree17Likes
  • 16 Post By dukalmighty
  • 1 Post By archer51

Thread: Off Duty LEO's at my local range

Well I was shooting at the range last night like me and a friend do every week,before he got there about 5 or 6 guys showed up and as they were shooting it seemed as if 1 guy was setting up the course of fire etc.Let me just say that they didn't seem to have a lot of training and like a lot of LEO's that qualify semi or annually and some departments don't pay for any monthly training ammo etc.so unless they buy ammo out of pocket they don't get any practice in.
    I struck up a conversation and asked if they were LEO's and they said yes in one of the towns close to where I live, I asked them if their Department paid for training ammo,they replied no but the Border Patrol gets free ammo.I said well look guys I reload and I will sell you 100 rounds of 9 or 40 for $15.00 per 100 rounds so you can get more proficient with your firearms.
    I think I made their day,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Duk...you the man, what a great jesture, more people should think of this, and possibly do it, also might help ya on a little speedo tiket in the future, lol .... I am about to get into the reloading end now, so if I do not blow myself up, I would make the same my cose offer to LEOs here in our small town...
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Excellent jesture on your part !!! God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    Excellent jesture on your part !!! God Bless
    ^^^+1^^^

VIP Member
    While I commend your offer to them, I think I would have them sign a liability waiver prior to selling them any ammo. Even factory ammo can get loaded wrong (squib or overcharge) and put the manufacturer at risk of a law suit. Always CYA on something like ammo.
    mlr1m likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

There was a gun collector I believe in MA that for some reason got hit with a lot of charges. One was that he was giving away or selling ammo that he handloaded. I can't remember the details but they said it was agoinst some law. I really don't know

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    I do believe you need some Federal License to sell your reloads.

nahhhhh, Duk was talking about someone he knows, possibly doing something nice for some guys, possibly at a range somewhere in another hemisphere.

Duk... if you do know someone that may or may not have done that, that person would probably be pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Well I was shooting at the range last night like me and a friend do every week,before he got there about 5 or 6 guys showed up and as they were shooting it seemed as if 1 guy was setting up the course of fire etc.Let me just say that they didn't seem to have a lot of training and like a lot of LEO's that qualify semi or annually and some departments don't pay for any monthly training ammo etc.so unless they buy ammo out of pocket they don't get any practice in.
    I struck up a conversation and asked if they were LEO's and they said yes in one of the towns close to where I live, I asked them if their Department paid for training ammo,they replied no but the Border Patrol gets free ammo.I said well look guys I reload and I will sell you 100 rounds of 9 or 40 for $15.00 per 100 rounds so you can get more proficient with your firearms.
    I think I made their day,
    Nice

-Jason

VIP Member
    very nice!
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

You did get to take all their spent brass casings home with you, right? $15 to clean. Bullet and powder are just for fun and feedback on your hand loads.
    That's a great favor to do for the local LEOs.

Yesterday at an area pistol match I saw a guy shooting reloads that he bought from the range. Multiple FTFs and FTEs. I've never seen bullet setback so extreme. That stuff wasn't crimped nearly enough. The purchaser was pretty bummed. 40S&W.
    Skillet Hot!

KillrFajitas, a taper crimp reloading die as final step will make excellent ammo that's set right and the bullet won't set-back on you when it chambers. It's also more accurate.

Give a man a reload and he shoots that day. Teach him to reload and..well you know. I learned to reload in grade school by helping my father and other of his LEO co-workers reload their practice ammo. Remember how sore my arm was at the end of the day when taking my turn at resizing those 38 special cases on that C-press. I meet cops at the range all the time who have never even thought about getting together for some reloading sessions.

Michael

Links