Why did you get rid of a gun? - Page 2

Why did you get rid of a gun?

This is a discussion on Why did you get rid of a gun? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I sold a Taurus 24/7 Pro in .45 planning to fund another purchase- a second 1911, or a big caliber revolver. I ended up spending ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Why did you get rid of a gun?

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I sold a Taurus 24/7 Pro in .45 planning to fund another purchase- a second 1911, or a big caliber revolver. I ended up spending the money on a TV. Because I was stuck at home waiting for surgery.... I'm glad I did- went from a 26" to a 42"- now I can see the TV from across the room.
    BigJon10125 and tricolordad like this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Money.

Quote Originally Posted by bamfsig45 View Post
    I have no guns, all of mine were lost in a tragic deep sea fishing expedition.
    I plead ignorance. I do not understand this and see it often. Feel free to PM me or point me in the right direction if it is not suitable for the forum. I am totally ignorant of this seemingly common saying.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I must say that I have had numerous guns that I horse traded or used as a down payment to get a different one. Its always a short time after I regret trading or selling. I loved them all, from Remington 870's to Sig 232 and everything in between. I'm down to two pistols. I have stopped trading due to buyers remorse.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

I've only gotten rid of one gun. I had a Kimber SIS Pro that was a jam-0-matic and unfit for carry so I sold it. The only reason I still have my other Kimber 1911 is because it was my first handgun and I figure everyone should have at least one 1911. I no longer have interest in the 1911 platform for carry, but still like em for fun every now and again. In the unlikely event I ever return to the 1911 as a carry piece I won't be buying another Kimber, that's for sure.

VIP Member
    Only one regret, in bold.

Marlin Model 60, traded for a Remingtong 581 in 1980 or so.
    Sold a Savage .12 double barrel because I didn't have any attachment to it.
    Traded a SW model 60 no dash for a Ruger Single six. I regret the trade.
    Sold a Henry H001 when I bought a new one.
    Gave a SW 686 to my brother as a gift.

I sold an LC9 to help fund the purchase of my Springfield XDsc. I hated shooting it but loved how concealable it was. I'm a much better shot with my XD so I do think it's better that I carry every day a firearm I shoot well but there are days when I've pulled off my 3rd outfit due to printing I wish I'd held onto the LC9. Then I remind myself I should go shopping and just replace my wardrobe! :D
    Pistoldoc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    I sold an LC9 to help fund the purchase of my Springfield XDsc. I hated shooting it but loved how concealable it was. I'm a much better shot with my XD so I do think it's better that I carry every day a firearm I shoot well but there are days when I've pulled off my 3rd outfit due to printing I wish I'd held onto the LC9. Then I remind myself I should go shopping and just replace my wardrobe! :D
    You should check out the new XDs. It is almost the same size as the LC9 (I know, because I sold mine to get the XDs, and don't miss it at all). If you're worried about recoil, don't be. It is not bad at all.

I could not begin to count the guns that have been traded, bought and sold by me over the last 27 years. Some I regret, but some not. People change, learn new things and get different need or wants.

Some of the guns passed down to me are gone. A few I will keep because they suit my likes and needs, and sentimental value doesn't cut it. And, I hope my kids will get rid of the things I leave them and acquire things that are more relevant to their time and personal desires/needs.

After all this time, and a mountain of guns, I am finally figuring some things out, and getting my collection simplified to what I really need/like. I've also figured out guns wasting space in the back of the safe are a waste.

When you pass on, they don't go with you.
    OldVet, OD* and 21bubba like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

The only guns that I have purchased that I do not have were stolen from my home about 10 years ago. The Police found one of them a few years later and I bought it back from the insurance co. I have never sold a gun.

I plead ignorance. I do not understand this and see it often. Feel free to PM me or point me in the right direction if it is not suitable for the forum. I am totally ignorant of this seemingly common saying.
    Guns lost at sea or in lakes cannot be confiscated
    bamfsig45, BigJon10125 and OD* like this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Distinguished Member
    I have sold one so far. A taurus TCP, it started to have issues feeding, plus I purchased an extra magazine for it that didn't even fit in the gun! - DONE with taurus. I should of knew better, it was only my second gun purchase but I had read enough about taurus that I should of stayed away.

I have my S/W sigma listed and its almost sold once or twice. It was the first gun I bought, so I had no idea what I was buying. Its been flawless, I just would rather put the money toward another gun that I'd shoot more often. But if it doesn't sell before my listing runs out I'll just take it as a sign and keep it.

Other than that I will keep all my guns that I buy. Read too many posts saying "I had one of those, wish I still had it".
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

VIP Member
    Kel-Tec P-11, with the long heavy trigger pull I could not hit the side of a barn from inside. Traded it for a Ruger Security Six.

AMT 1911, sloppy fit and inaccurate lucky to get 15 inch groups at 7 yards. Forgot what I traded it for.

Taurus PT 1911 just did not like it. Traded it for a Luger.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

One I bought online and after shooting it I just didn't like it.
    Another I liked, but couldn't shoot it worth a dern. Never carried it, and .45 was too expensive for just a range gun.
    The third one I liked, shot ok, but it was just too big to conceal.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post

A woman after my own heart. You can never go wrong buying more clothes....and shoes....and purses.

Anyhow, I've never sold a gun and don't plan on it. Never say never though.
    "The Second Amendment isn't about protecting ourselves against criminals. It's about all of us protecting ourselves from all of you." ---Dr. Suzanne Gratia Hupp to Congressman Charles Schumer (D-NY), 1994**

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links