Why did you get rid of a gun? - Page 3

Why did you get rid of a gun?

This is a discussion on Why did you get rid of a gun? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I sold a Mark XIX because I was literally starving. I bought some food and a Playstation....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Why did you get rid of a gun?

I sold a Mark XIX because I was literally starving. I bought some food and a Playstation.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    You should check out the new XDs. It is almost the same size as the LC9 (I know, because I sold mine to get the XDs, and don't miss it at all). If you're worried about recoil, don't be. It is not bad at all.
    I'm saving my pennies for when it comes out in 9mm. There's no doubt in my mind that will be my next purchase. That way I can still use the same rounds I already do which are relatively cheap for range days. I like to start buying it in bulk so if I have multiple guns that use the same rounds it makes my life easier!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I sold my Glenfield .30-30 lever action to buy a Rem. 700 .30-06. Never regretted that as I really had no use for the .30-30 (anything it can do the '06 can do better).

When I moved to Alaska I sold my Blackhawk 4 5/8 barrel .357 Mag to get a 6 1/2" barrel .41 Mag Blackhawk. I wanted to make sure if a bear got me that shot to my head would be fatal! The .357 wasn't particularly accurrate (for me anyhow) and a lot of bang. The .41 Mag was dead on accurate and more boom than bang. There was no comparison between the two, and no regrets.

If I have a need or use for a gun, I keep it. If not, there's another somewhere that I do need or can use. Guns are useless unless used for shooting or barter.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    I'm saving my pennies for when it comes out in 9mm. There's no doubt in my mind that will be my next purchase. That way I can still use the same rounds I already do which are relatively cheap for range days. I like to start buying it in bulk so if I have multiple guns that use the same rounds it makes my life easier!
    That sounds like a good plan. Have you tried racking the slide on one yet? My wife has a similar build to you (if that's you in the avatar), and she flat out cannot rack the slide. She's the same way with all semi auto pistols though, including the LC9. She's a strong little bugger otherwise, but really struggles with that lol.

P5
    Sold most of my long guns back when the kids were small and money was tight. Kept the ones that I couldn't replace. Never sold a pistol.
    It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6!!
    Walther P5 / AMT AutomagII

I let go of 3 guns over the years. One I gave (at a great discount) my brother to get him started in shooting. It was an excellent SA1911 officers model. Loved it but wanted him to have quality for his 1st experience. Then I traded my SA long slide 6" ported 1911. Regret that one but used it in trade along with third gun. My H&k USP. They both went towards my Les Baer 5" stainless 1911.

Hate to let go of any gun but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do!
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

I have sold a few guns when money was needed.I also sold a few that were junk, but I was honest and told the guy I sold them to what was wrong with every one. I hope he was just as honest when he sold them.

Once I start "neglecting" a firearm, I'll trade it in for a new one. It's been a very long time since I've bought a new one outright. I can't bring myself to collecting beyond more than a "few". :)

I regret selling various .22 revolvers of mine many years ago but I had to. Ever since then, I've never sold another gun and I more than likely never will.

Sent from my palm device
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I've traded some guns for other guns I wanted more. The one gun I regret getting rid of was a beautiful Legend AKS paratrooper package with a forged receiver, 3-30rd mags, bayonet and sling..only because I lived in Connecticut at the time when they instituted their "assault weapons" ban. I could have grandfathered in my ownership if I registered it with the state database. I thought it ridiculous to "register" a rifle that I owned for over 4 years just because of a pen stroke of some idiots in Hartford. I ended up trading it to avoid the registration scheme. I'm still pissed that I knuckled under that easy...I should have kept it under wraps as now I live in PA. where I would have been able to own it. The only good thing to come out of it is, that I traded the AKS in on my Colt Python 6" bright stainless...I still think I came out on the better end of the deal!

I currently have 4 rifles, 1 shotgun and 8 handguns. I have bought, sold and traded 3 times that over the last 40 years for various reasons. The only ones I regret losing are 5 handguns ( Colt 1911, S&W m65, S&W, M38 and a Ruger Security Six) that were stolen in a burglary in '04.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk 2
    Livin the Life!
    Join and Support the NRA

I've gotten rid of 3 different Glocks at different times. I never liked them, never shot them well and the only reason I bought numbers 2 and 3 was because Glock phanboiz would convince me that they just didn't suck as bad as I remembered.

I usually only sell a gun when I am looking to upgrade or change. i just sold an off brand 1911 that I bought 20 years ago to purchase a .22 handgun for my wife and kids to shoot (well, for dad to shoot a little too )

As my needs (and my tastes) have changed over the years I have bought and sold dozens of guns. I haven't lost any sleep over any of them but I understand that some folks do.

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    If you want an XDs sized gun in a 9mm, the Walther PPS is a winner! I have both of them and they are almost exactly the same size with the Walther being about .1" thinner.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links