Why did you get rid of a gun?

Why did you get rid of a gun?

This is a discussion on Why did you get rid of a gun? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So far I have been fortunate in that I have not gotten rid of a gun. I do not have as many as most, probably. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Why did you get rid of a gun?

Question Why did you get rid of a gun?

So far I have been fortunate in that I have not gotten rid of a gun. I do not have as many as most, probably. I have not lived as long as many, and thus have not had many life experiences some of you have. So my question is why did you get rid of a particular firearm and did you regret it?

I have seen a lot of people saying they did, and a few getting rid of lemons that were happy to be rid of them. I assume financial issue, perceived "upgrades" and the like are major reasons but I think at this point I would regret getting rid of any good or even decent gun I own. So to avoid setting myself up for disappointment, I turn to your wisdom and experience.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I had three guns I now regret offloading after college (my first 22, a Ruger 10/22 and a SXS 12 GA), but other than that, the only two I have jettisoned since - two Skyy's (or Scyy's as they are now known) were sold due to several failures and trips back to the factory which reduced my confidence in them as EDC's.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; August 13th, 2012 at 05:47 PM.

I threw my HiPoint into a deep lake and sold a WWII rifle at a gunshow for profit. Other than that I will not part with any firearms unless for a sizeable profit. They are for my boys when I check out.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    In the past I had one or two guns that I kept around for trade purposes so I could try many different kinds of guns without losing a lot of money (I've actually lost no money doing this)...

Now that I know what I like my purchases/trades will slow down.

VIP Member
    Not old, not young, not wise but not entirely stupid here.

I hang on to mine. Every one was purchased with 'expendable income', so I never really need the money back. I even have two junk High Points that I never use, but I've tweaked them so that they actually work, and they are now soaking in cosmoline air-tight bags, waiting for the end of time.

Every now and then, I "rediscover" one from the safe that I haven't shot in years, and fall in love all over again. I see no reason to sell them off, especially now that my son has something to look forward to when I kick the bucket.

I got rid of 5 pistols for the following reasons:

3 of them I no longer wanted.
    1 was a pos, and I had trouble with it. I went against my better judgement and bought it to my regret.
    1 was a bad buy, dangerous and I had it destroyed.

Senior Moderator
    I sold a Springfield Armory 1911 that had muliple trips back to the manufacter to fix defects, I no longer had any confidence with that particular pistol.

I sold a Ruger Police Six in .357, I used to kick myself every Sunday for that decision

I traded a Ruger New Vaquero in .45 LC for a Ruger Speed Six in .357 so I could stop kicking myself.

That's about it
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

The only gun I have ever traded was a POS Kel Tec PF9.

Unless it's a lemon I will keep my guns. I hate losing all that money on trade in value.
    accessbob likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    I got rid of some DAO guns because I just like DA/SA hammer fired guns better.
    tricolordad likes this.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19, 9mm.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

Distinguished Member
    Have done a fair amount of selling/trading and am currently trying to sell my 1938 Mosin 91/30 and Henry H001 .22 Lever Action to raise money for something (non-firearm) that I need.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

I've only parted ways with two guns. One was a chinese sks that accepted AK Mags that I traded for a blackhawk .357. I paid $199 for the sks and the blackhawk was in near new condition. That was probalby in 1994 and I was 18 and not too smart. Wish I still had it as they are harder to come by than ruger single actions. The other was a ruger p95 that was stolen out of my truck. I obviously regret that one. Other than that I keep all the guns I buy, even the ones I end up not liking as much as I thought I would.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

It was a Taurus, nuff said!
    accessbob likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mardet View Post
    It was a Taurus, nuff said!
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

I pawned a 16 ga model 37 Ithaca with vent rib for $20... I didn't have the $20 when it came time to pick it up... (Stupid youth)

I sold a .22 Marlin, a .22 SA revolver, and a .38 Colt Detective special to help raise money to move out to the country... DUMB DUMB DUMB and DUMB.

I sold some CZ82s and some P64s after selecting the best for myself... that didn't hurt...

And I just bought a 10/22 for $25 (project gun) was gonna give $50, but listened to you guys and got a better deal on it.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I have no guns, all of mine were lost in a tragic deep sea fishing expedition.
    accessbob likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links