Wal Mart rant *warning* long

This is a discussion on Wal Mart rant *warning* long within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't know how you guys' experience with wal Mart have gone as far as ammo purchases but the past 3 times I have bought ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Wal Mart rant *warning* long

Wal Mart rant *warning* long

I don't know how you guys' experience with wal Mart have gone as far as ammo purchases but the past 3 times I have bought ammo I have gotten pissed off. My past 3 purchases have been from 3 different locations and all have had a different story.

The first location I kindly asked an employee that was stocking product in the next aisle over if he could page someone with an ammo case key and he said "sorry I'm busy you'll have to go up to the front desk to get someone paged". I walked down to electronics and tried again this time the person was able to page someone and it took 15 minutes for the lady to arrive with the key. That's a long wait. I didn't say anything just got my ammo and left.

Second location few days later, wasted no time looking for anyone just went right to electronics and asked them to page someone with the ammo key and they said no problem go wait by the case well page him now. Got to the ammo case and after 10 minutes still nobody as well as not even hearing them ever page anyone to ammo. Went back and it was a different guy at electronics and he had a walkie talkie. Told him I had been waiting and nobody even paged anyone. He walkie talkied for "jules" or whatever the kids name was to come back to his department "sporting goods" with the key and then told me to go wait by the case. Since I heard him page the kid I felt safe that this time someone was coming..... Wrong. Waited 15 more minutes nobody showed up. In the mean time I had asked a girl sticking product a few aisles over If she knew where "Jules" the kid with the key was and she said she hasent seen him in a while. Well I look after my 15 min wait and see that the guy with the walkie talkie is now a couple aisles over talking to that girl and he looked at me and shouted from the few aisles down "I paged him again I'm not sure what's going on". Before I could say anything back up walked this goofy looking kid with an Afro and his pants at his knees with "Jules" on his name tag shouting "yo who need some bullets over here" so I said me and he came and opened the case he was very rude and showed no shame for being lost and nowhere to be found for about 30 minutes of wait time. Pointed to the boxes I wanted and he replies " oh damn son you poppin them fo-fives" I just took my boxes and walked away to purchase and leave. Where do they find these people and shouldn't there be more than 1 key so when these irresponsible people are off doing whatever they do someone an come open the case?

Anyways, location 3, today, I went straight to electronics once again like the last location right away nobody there look around the surrounding aisles can't find anyone. Finally out walks a guy and he goes to the electronics registers so I asked him if he could page someone for the ammo case And he replies " na sorry man I don't have a walkie talkie and I don't know how to page on the intercom you'll have to go to the front desk" but in a rude tone as if I was annoying him. I'm like ok thanks anyway. I decided ok well the past two times I have looked into other solutions let me go to the front desk maybe that's the way to get someone there quick. Well I get two aisles away and see a guy in a black dress shirt and a clipboard with a name tag and under his name it says assistant manager I figured hmmm he might have a key let me ask him. So I ask if he can help me and he says "sure let me get the spare key from under the electronics registers and il be right there". So all this time there has probably been spares under the other stores electronics registers too? I know maybe the other stores are different but come on the guy at this stores electronics didn't even mention the key or wasn't even aware it's there. I smell pure laziness. Come on. Well anyways I stood at the ammo case for 17 minutes (I kept track) and still no show before I went looking for the guy and he was no where to be found. I should have walked out because I was pissed but I went back and waited another 6 minutes (counted again). Finally I was about to leave I started walking toward the front of the store and walked probably 5 aisles up and a lady that worked there got my attention. She said" excuse me, we're you waiting to be helped? I saw you waiting by the ammo case for quite some time and I don't see you leaving with any ammo" I told her that the assistant manager bailed on me and how I didn't expect that from someone in an elevated position such as assistant manager. She laughed and said " oh man I can't believe it. That's not my department and I don't have access to keys but let me go see what I can do. Il see if I can find him over there." I figured you know what this lady was very nice il give it one more chance for this store to get my business for the day. She was back with a key within 2 minutes and got me my ammo. She said she found the manager I spoke to and he said sorry he got distracted but gave her the key to help me. I come from a retail background myself. Retail management to be exact and this is just unacceptable. Being an assistant manager he should by now realize that the customer is his first priority. If it was his task he was doing with his clipboard it can wait for 2 minutes while you help a valued customer and if it can't then you can very easily grab one of the 30 people standing around ACTING like they are organizing shelves and talking to eachother to help the customer for you. It's not that hard. Heres the other kicker. The very nice lady that helped me told me procedure is that she has to walk me and the ammo to the register which I said fine it didn't bother me ( although nobody had exercised this procedure the other two times I bought ammo at wal Mart in the other two locations. AND it wasnt even this lady's department and she even knew the procedure.) so she said we can go to photo department(next to electronics) because its the closest register, here you carry the ammo because it's heavy and she will follow me. No problem. We get to photo and the lady working the desk is sitting down on the phone as we walk up I clearly hear her say " hold on baby I got some people walking up". Before we get to the desk a young kid walks up and says "excuse me can you get me a video game from the case? The guy over there said he didn't have a key but the lady at photo has one" the lady said she didn't know what he was talking about and sent him on his way in a rude tone all the while she hasent even stood up from her stool or even taken the phone away from her ear just simply told the person to hold on. Well I got to the register and before saying a word she said " you have to go somewhere else I can't ring you up Im on an important phone call. The lady that had helped me at the ammo case was still with me and said " that's not an important phone call come on girl just ring him out" the photo lady said "girl this is a tech call I can't you gonna have to go up front" rightttttttt you called the "tech" baby? And had THEM hold on? Ok. Well the lady that helped me turned to me and said "I'm really sorry your not having a very good day here so far are you and laughed. Then said she's just being lazy she's not on the phone with a tech". We walked up front I paid and left. Never to return again. For any purchase at all let alone ammo.

Absolutely rediculous. Am I the only one that has this luck at wal mart or have any of you had this happen also. What the heck is wal Mart coming to? What is THE WORLD coming to in general? Share your stories If you have any and your thoughts as well. Sorry for the length and spelling/grammar of this rant. I just had to get it all out. Plus I typed it all on my iPhone. Thanks for reading lol.

PS I will just be spending the little extra at my LGS from now on for ammo (im going to look into online purchasing too) never buying from Wally world again. Maybe I should research reloading.
    Last edited by RugerSRGuy; August 13th, 2012 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Tried to make it easier on the eyes for suntzu lol
    ArmyMan likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Paragraphs please
    Then I may have the time to read it

I will not shop at Walmart, specifically because I have been in one.
    NH_Esau, tricolordad and JerryMac like this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I'm sending you a $25 credit for the grammar/punctuation store...for your safety and ours.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lately I've had decent experiences buying ammo in WalMart. Try to hit it at off-times, like mornings. I went thru something similar trying to buy a 22 rifle in WalMart last year though. But I gotta say...

...I wasn't PO'ed enough to type out a post like yours on an iPhone! LOL!

English never was my best subject. Or second, third, forth.... You get the point. Easier spoken than typed.

And here I thought my local Wal-Mart was the worst one on earth! Their average employee has two speeds: slow, and dead.
    babarock and mano3 like this.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

The only reason I ever go to walmart is for ammo. It is the only time I am willing to put up with what goes on there. I should really start reloading again so I no longer have to deal with it.

I presently work retail. While not the best at customer service I far exceed what was being delivered in that story. It seems like other businesses (big box stores included) realize that customers matter. Walmart seems to think the customer has no other choice and will show up regardless of service. At this point I have noticed target and similar stores all offer competitive pricing.

I walked out in frustration one of the last two times I was there. I had been standing for 20min at the ammo display waiting for someone who had been paged. I hate that place.

No suprise here. Seems like poor service is standard operating procedure at Walmart.

What do you expect with overworked minimum wage employees?
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Usually dont have any problems at my Wal-Mart. Always seems to be somebody at the sporting goods desk and if they aren't at the desk they are usually stocking shelves in the area. I dont think I would have been as patient as you were. Definitely would have walked out after the 10 minute wait.

VIP Member
    I've found that Walmart hasn't exactly cornered the market when it comes to employing incompetent people.

You'll find the same quality of do-nothing, care-not types employed at fast-food restaurants, gun stores, and the Senate & Congress.

Unfortunately, Home Depot doesn't sell ammo. Because that doesn't fly. If the manager heard about that, she'd walk out there and fire me and any associate involved, no exaggeration; that is beyond unacceptable.

As an aside, I've never had that much trouble, maybe because in my area, shooting is much more popular than in others. There has been a guy behind or within 10 feet of the counter ever time I've gone to my Wal-Mart. Demographics?
    ClutchSR9C likes this.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

So the assistant manager tells Joe Q. Public where an extra key to the covetted ammo cabinet is? Wow! I know just one of the many of his failures. I too have had to wait a spell to get someone to get ammo for me, the last several times I've just window shopped and actually have been asked if I needed anything. You can bet the next time I want to buy some I won't find anything but tumbleweeds.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    The trick is to watch for the person with keys dangling from their belt as soon as you walk in.

No joke - when I walk into a Walmart, as I walk toward the sporting goods section, I watch for the blue polo's and if they have keys, I ask if they have a key to the ammo case. If they answer 'yes', I say 'follow me'.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links