OK for Strong Hand Thumb to Rest on Slide Release?

This is a discussion on OK for Strong Hand Thumb to Rest on Slide Release? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK, I am fairly new to shooting. Just did my concealed carry permit class a couple weeks ago, so please bear with me . I ...

Thread: OK for Strong Hand Thumb to Rest on Slide Release?

OK, I am fairly new to shooting. Just did my concealed carry permit class a couple weeks ago, so please bear with me .

I have a Sig P250 subcompact. When going through dryfire practice, I've noticed that my strong hand thumb always comes to rest on the slide release button on the side. I have both thumbs forward and am training myself to use the grip that Paul Gomez described in his videos. Is it OK for the thumb to rest on that button or could I be interfering with something there?

I guess I might be interfering with the slide staying locked once my magazine is empty... Which would make reloads more cumbersome, correct?

correct, there is not much pressure forcing the slide stop up on the empty mag...putting your thumb there can definitely interfere.

Distinguished Member
    ^^^What he said and it will. I try to always put my strong hand thumb on top of the weak hand thumb to prevent this. Thats what I've seen you should do.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

gungrip.jpg

So I don't have a lot of options on this gun if I want my grip still to be high to help with recoil... The gun grip is already somewhat low in relation to the slide compared to other guns I believe. Should I just try to train muscle memory to "bury" that thumb a little or cross it more over the weak hand?
    Last edited by vca2004; August 14th, 2012 at 08:27 PM. Reason: added something

Yeah I would say bury that thumb a bit...sigs are good and bad...the slide release is right where you need it so one doesn't have to change their firing grip to release the slide on a fresh mag...but it's right there for interferance too. I occasionally would do the same with the P220 I had...carefull your thumb doesn't wedge underneath and lock the slide open prematurely as well.

Distinguished Member
    You should search on here or youtube for some videos and such. In my opion you should jack up your weak hand up a little more (especially behind the thumb) and then put your strong hand thumb right on top of your weakhand thumb bone (the bone actually inside your hand). Does that make any sense? It sounds really compicated as I type it.

G19 AIWB

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    ...carefull your thumb doesn't wedge underneath and lock the slide open prematurely as well.
    Also a very good point you're making there!

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    You should search on here or youtube for some videos and such. In my opion you should jack up your weak hand up a little more (especially behind the thumb) and then put your strong hand thumb right on top of your weakhand thumb bone (the bone actually inside your hand). Does that make any sense? It sounds really compicated as I type it.
    Do you mean more like this:
    gungrip2.jpg

Distinguished Member
    Ya thats more like I was thinking. Boy that grip does keep your hands low(the grip of the gun, not you). Looks like its a little tough to do on that gun.

G19 AIWB

Yeah, that's as high as I can get. The P250 has that pretty fat piece of plastic that keeps the web between your thumb and index finger pretty low on the grip:
    p250.jpg

Didn't occur to me that this could be somewhat of an issue until I've viewed some training videos on gun grip on YouTube. I like it other than that and seem to do pretty well with marksmanship for a total gun novice.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    A trip to the range will tell you if it's an issue or not.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I became an XD convert (and M&P now) after shooting an XD45 and my beloved P220 back to back on the same range trip. Sig may boast to hell and back reliability but when you feel how nice a low bore axis pistol feels compared to the sigs bore axis towering above your hand...well it's kind of religious. The XD's Recoil was noticably so much lower, with the same load, than the Sig, I traded the P220 for and XD45C within a week. Now if my M&P9c would just get here from bowie tactical, I would feel so much better.

Links