So you’re thinking of buying a can (silencer).

This is a discussion on So you’re thinking of buying a can (silencer). within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Speaking of CZ...I've got a CZ American on the way with an integrally suppressed barrel that I'll do a range report on when I get ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: So you’re thinking of buying a can (silencer).

Senior Moderator
    Speaking of CZ...I've got a CZ American on the way with an integrally suppressed barrel that I'll do a range report on when I get it. It looks just like a CZ Varmint, except that it is very,very quiet. Its a new offering by Thompsom Machine and its a beautiful rifle.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I went to a presentation put on by the owner of SilencerCo, according to those folks the biggest medical expense from service men and women returning from overseas is hearing related issues.

Silencers/suppressors definitly have their place for info on silencers please visit Silencers Are Legal

Also there is now a silencer association American Silencer Association
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Heres a story for you doubters out there...

a few weeks ago I showed up at the range with a several suppressed items. An AK, an AR, a couple of .22's. Fact of the matter is, I've got to where I don't like shooting without a can. Its just me and this one guy that I had an acquaintance with. I knew who he was, he knew who I was but that was about it.

We've got the whole range to ourselves and he is at the other end of the tables. So I bust out my stuff and begin shooting. After several minutes, I notice that he is watching me pretty intently.At that time I wa shooting and integrally suppressed bolt action rifle and he asked me if I was shooting a pellet gun. No, I said, its a suppressed .22.

That got his attention. He walks over and he gives me the what for...why would anyone need a suppressor unless they just wanted to go poaching? He had never seen one, never shot one, and everything he knew about them he got from the movies when a bad guy would whack somebody.

So, this guy is pretty skeptical about the whole thing. He's about 75 years old and he spends alot of his time at the range. As we talked, I told him about the hunting advantages and all about the upside to owning one. As it turns out, he loves to squirrel hunt. I told him of several squirrel hunting adventures I have had when using suppressors and his eyes lit up. I could see that he was beginning to like the idea.

So, he asked me if he could try it. Of course I said, shoot to your hearts content. And he did. He shot and commented every time he made a shot. He started shooting some 4 inch spinners that are at the 100 yard line and he started grinning like a kid. He was having a blast. When he paused to reload, I let him shoot my suppressed Ruger MK3 and he was smiling the whole time. We were both enjoying it.

So we shot and we shot and we shot, until I needed to be somewhere and I had to pack up. He asked me about the process and I told him all about it. It appeared that he decided he wanted one.

So I tell him how much they cost, various options, talk about calibers and the such and he reaches into the top pocket of his overalls and pulls out 7 hundred dollars bills and a 50 and he hands them to me and he tells me that he wants to buy a rifle just like the one he has been shooting. I was a bit shocked, but he now has one on the way.

I often hear of comments like " why would I need one" or "who you gonna shoot with that?" and a host of other comments that are spoken by people that have had no exposure to them. Thats OK, I'll usually convince them to try one, and it totally changes their outlook, and in lots of cases, they actually end up buying one after they shoot.

It really does add to the shooting experience. Its quite a change to have a normal conversation with each other while shooting and kids especially love to shoot with them on. The way I see it, anything that keeps them interested in that is a plus.
    Why did he give YOU the money?
    Are you a dealer?
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Senior Moderator
    I am. Iam an 07/02. FFL meaning that I can buy,sell service or make.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

I am. Iam an 07/02. FFL meaning that I can buy,sell service or make.
    Lucky you.....

-Will Rogers

i would love to get one but don't you have to have a ffl license to own one? or maybe that just in oklahoma.

Speaking of silencers, I just bought one for my Glock-19, along with the needed threaded barrel.
    I actually have my interview with the FL State Attorney this afternoon...shouldn't take long.
    There is a rather lengthy process in getting the needed tax stamp, but I'm working through it.
    Buying a can isn't cheap:suppressor, barrel, stamp (total cost is double the cost of the G-19)...but I'm looking forward to having one.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by JDlewis View Post
    i would love to get one but don't you have to have a ffl license to own one? or maybe that just in oklahoma.
    Unless different from Texas, all you need is the Tax stamp.

-Will Rogers

Senior Moderator
    Thats right. You don't need a "license" or an FFL, you just need to buy the "tax stamp" which is a one time 200$ fee.
    Fill out the required paperwork and send it. I got some in the other day that took 10 months.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Heres a story for you doubters out there...

a few weeks ago I showed up at the range with a several suppressed items. An AK, an AR, a couple of .22's. Fact of the matter is, I've got to where I don't like shooting without a can. Its just me and this one guy that I had an acquaintance with. I knew who he was, he knew who I was but that was about it.

We've got the whole range to ourselves and he is at the other end of the tables. So I bust out my stuff and begin shooting. After several minutes, I notice that he is watching me pretty intently.At that time I wa shooting and integrally suppressed bolt action rifle and he asked me if I was shooting a pellet gun. No, I said, its a suppressed .22.

That got his attention. He walks over and he gives me the what for...why would anyone need a suppressor unless they just wanted to go poaching? He had never seen one, never shot one, and everything he knew about them he got from the movies when a bad guy would whack somebody.

So, this guy is pretty skeptical about the whole thing. He's about 75 years old and he spends alot of his time at the range. As we talked, I told him about the hunting advantages and all about the upside to owning one. As it turns out, he loves to squirrel hunt. I told him of several squirrel hunting adventures I have had when using suppressors and his eyes lit up. I could see that he was beginning to like the idea.

So, he asked me if he could try it. Of course I said, shoot to your hearts content. And he did. He shot and commented every time he made a shot. He started shooting some 4 inch spinners that are at the 100 yard line and he started grinning like a kid. He was having a blast. When he paused to reload, I let him shoot my suppressed Ruger MK3 and he was smiling the whole time. We were both enjoying it.

So we shot and we shot and we shot, until I needed to be somewhere and I had to pack up. He asked me about the process and I told him all about it. It appeared that he decided he wanted one.

So I tell him how much they cost, various options, talk about calibers and the such and he reaches into the top pocket of his overalls and pulls out 7 hundred dollars bills and a 50 and he hands them to me and he tells me that he wants to buy a rifle just like the one he has been shooting. I was a bit shocked, but he now has one on the way.

I often hear of comments like " why would I need one" or "who you gonna shoot with that?" and a host of other comments that are spoken by people that have had no exposure to them. Thats OK, I'll usually convince them to try one, and it totally changes their outlook, and in lots of cases, they actually end up buying one after they shoot.

It really does add to the shooting experience. Its quite a change to have a normal conversation with each other while shooting and kids especially love to shoot with them on. The way I see it, anything that keeps them interested in that is a plus.
    In a nutshell, your story about sums up the Anti's stance on guns. Fear because of ignorance. Warm some of them up to the idea and their minds can change. Well, we can hope, can't we?
    It's all part of the big picture.

Get an Econo-Can and get it registered with the FFA I believe and a tax stamp and you're good. A silencer is as useful and as legal as full auto. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 40calcarry View Post
    Get an Econo-Can and get it registered with the FFA I believe and a tax stamp and you're good. A silencer is as useful and as legal as full auto. ;)
    I think you mean BATFE.....

-Will Rogers

My fail, I'm bad with acronyms.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by grav View Post
    In a nutshell, your story about sums up the Anti's stance on guns. Fear because of ignorance. Warm some of them up to the idea and their minds can change. Well, we can hope, can't we?
    It's not just antis. There are plenty of gun owners that support silly regulations because of ignorance or because they don't choose to participate in some aspect of shooting so they think it doesn't affect them. They're those "I've hunted my whole life and there's no reason for you to have that evil assault rifle with the 100 round clip" type of people.
    grav, msgt/ret, Doodle and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JDlewis View Post
    All you need to do is get the tax stamp. All I did was to fill out the forms and have my local Sheriff sign them for me. Similar to what we have to go through when getting our carry permits here in Oklahoma.

Michael

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links