So you’re thinking of buying a can (silencer). - Page 3

So you’re thinking of buying a can (silencer).

This is a discussion on So you’re thinking of buying a can (silencer). within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by CheaperThanDirt It's not just antis. There are plenty of gun owners that support silly regulations because of ignorance or because they don't ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: So you’re thinking of buying a can (silencer).

Quote Originally Posted by CheaperThanDirt View Post
    It's not just antis. There are plenty of gun owners that support silly regulations because of ignorance or because they don't choose to participate in some aspect of shooting so they think it doesn't affect them. They're those "I've hunted my whole life and there's no reason for you to have that evil assault rifle with the 100 round clip" type of people.
    I believe this to be our greatest weakness. The fact that some of our own believe in the idea that a person should have to show a need to own something. We are our own worst enemy. The other side is united in its one goal to ban all firearms. We are divided into groups willing to give up the firearms that those crazy folks like to shoot. For clarification the guns those crazy people shoot are any gun that I don't like to shoot. Take theirs but leave mine alone syndrome.

Michael
    OD* likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CheaperThanDirt View Post
    It's not just antis. There are plenty of gun owners that support silly regulations because of ignorance or because they don't choose to participate in some aspect of shooting so they think it doesn't affect them. They're those "I've hunted my whole life and there's no reason for you to have that evil assault rifle with the 100 round clip" type of people.
    I got into some pretty hot discussions on this forum because people had the nerve to post almost exactly what you are talkign about.

Senior Moderator
    There are lots of people in this world with limited mentalitys. This forum is no different.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

While I generally favor shotguns for home defense, a suppressed rifle has a lot going for it.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    There are practical applications for them... here's a scenario that's just a few weeks old:

It's 3:15am and we're awakened by a ruckus in the duck pen (mmmm.. duck eggs!). Open the 2nd floor bedroom window to see a huge raccoon on duck pen roof, chewing away on the duck he just killed and dragged up there. The raccoon is not concerned at all about the swearing or bright light we're shining on him as he just sits there eating the duck.

Time to slap a magazine into an AR...

Now I can do one of the following:

1) Twist a can onto the end of the barrel, light that raccoon up with the laser and hope he enjoyed his last meal. I then go back to bed with the understanding that I've got some clean-up work when the sun comes up.... or....

2) Forget about the can, wake up some neighbors, deal with the police after they respond to half a dozen calls reporting a gun shot, get no more sleep... and STILL have to clean up the deceased critters.

I'll take option #1 please.
    Option #1..... Lol

Speaking of folks who disapprove of suppressors, why is it that as soon as we attach something as harmless as an acoustic devise, an ACOUSTIC DEVICE, to a firearm, it suddenly & immediately becomes a frightening tool of mayhem used only for the most devious felonies imaginable? What we need is a Chuckle Head vaccine!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Speaking of folks who disapprove of suppressors, why is it that as soon as we attach something as harmless as an acoustic devise, an ACOUSTIC DEVICE, to a firearm, it suddenly & immediately becomes a frightening tool of mayhem used only for the most devious felonies imaginable? What we need is a Chuckle Head vaccine!
    It is silly. 'Sort of like needing a tax stamp in order to use ear protection. Dang, I probably shouldn't have said that out-loud...

Lol, don't give them ideas!

Senior Moderator
    In Europe the use of Suppressor when shooting is highly encouraged. In fact, they can buy them at hardware stores for about 1/10th what they cost here in the states. No paperwork hassles, no signoff,no tax stamps, you just walk in a plop down your money.

Thats about the only thing that they have us beat on.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    In Europe the use of Suppressor when shooting is highly encouraged. In fact, they can buy them at hardware stores for about 1/10th what they cost here in the states. No paperwork hassles, no signoff,no tax stamps, you just walk in a plop down your money.
    Yeah, a foolish friend of mine bought a factory Walther suppressor for his P22 from Europe over the internet & had it air-shipped directly to his house. He also said the shiny flashed badges from the pair dark-suited BATF agents that soon showed-up at his door looked as big as chrome truck wheels! No jail time but it was a frightening & quite expensive ordeal. Well over $200 worth of ass cramp.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I have a Sparrow for my P22.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

I would love to own a can. I just don't have the money for one at this time.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

O.K.,
    so realistically, how quiet are those things?

Of those that have them, let us know if they do the job.

In my opinion, my Sparrow makes a .22 sound like a heavy air gun.
    My Osptey drops. 45acp, .40 & 9mm down close to a .22.
    It is NOT lile in the movies.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Love the idea of a suppressor. Is a different stamp required for each suppressor? Are suppressors interchangeable across calibers (guessing not)?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links