A Kalashnikov Factory in Russia Survives on Sales to U.S. Gun Owners

This is a discussion on A Kalashnikov Factory in Russia Survives on Sales to U.S. Gun Owners within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Interesting read. Especially on how many AKs are now being made just for the US market. www.nytimes.com/2012/08/15/business/a-kalashnikov-factory-in-russia-survives-on-sales-to-us-gun-owners.html Selling rifles to Americans and other civilians is ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By CheaperThanDirt
  • 1 Post By chuckusaret

Thread: A Kalashnikov Factory in Russia Survives on Sales to U.S. Gun Owners

Sponsor

A Kalashnikov Factory in Russia Survives on Sales to U.S. Gun Owners

Interesting read. Especially on how many AKs are now being made just for the US market.

www.nytimes.com/2012/08/15/business/a-kalashnikov-factory-in-russia-survives-on-sales-to-us-gun-owners.html

Selling rifles to Americans and other civilians is fundamental to the efforts to save Izhmash, which has made Kalashnikovs since soon after their invention in 1947 but is now struggling.

Demand for new military guns in the Kalashnikov family has evaporated. Simple, durable and relatively cheap to manufacture, about 100 million have been produced over the decades, or about one for every 70 people on earth. Inventories are overflowing, used AK weapons have flooded the market, and cheap Chinese knockoffs are stealing many of the customers that remain.

For American gun enthusiasts, an authentic Russian-made Kalashnikov is appealing not only for its historical importance as the weapon of choice in so many global conflicts, but also because of its reliability.

Selling Saigas in the United States is integral to the enterprise’s evolving business model of making single-shot civilian guns to occupy workers and equipment in between government orders for fully automatic assault rifles. About 70 percent of the factory’s output is now civilian rifles, up from 50 percent two years ago. Of the civilian arms, about 40 percent are exported to the United States.

2. Remove Ads

I don't trust them Ruskies! Bet they are putting chips in the rifles that can be disabled via satellite fer when that evil red hoard invades our shores.

Michael

The prices should come down then. I'd like to have one but don't want to pay what they are currently bringing. I say they need to ramp-up production and get the prices down.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by bugboy View Post
    The prices should come down then. I'd like to have one but don't want to pay what they are currently bringing. I say they need to ramp-up production and get the prices down.
    They are down.

Unconverted Saigas are really cheap.

The problem is they have to import hunting configuration AKs and then turn them back into AKM style AKs. That adds to the cost significantly. If we didn't have import bans we'd be paying nothing for real AKs.
    Doodle and peckman28 like this.

Here's an update: "Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin to merge the financially troubled Izhmash with another firearms manufacturer, Izhmekh, creating a new enterprise which will be called Kalashnikov". Article here:

Possible Merger In The Works?Izhmash & Izhmekh | FOG HORN

Hopefully they'll keep the premium on AK 100 stocks.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Prices of all weapons from the manufacturers are quite stable, but distributors and LGS have jacked the prices up. I recently received a very popular military style weapon that was ordered before the present panic buying caused prices to skyrocket. When I placed my order last November the then dealer price was 71% cheaper then the present asking price for the same weapon. I am quite sure the other three weapons that he received with my order will be sold at the much higher price. Not bad, over a 100% profit on a $400 short term investment.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Links