How do you report someone who should not own a firearm?

This is a discussion on How do you report someone who should not own a firearm? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost I understand your general concern, but I believe more needs to be found out about his situation, all you saw is ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: How do you report someone who should not own a firearm?

Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    I understand your general concern, but I believe more needs to be found out about his situation, all you saw is one snapshot of his life. Get in touch with his family, let them know what's going on, and you may find that they are incredibly grateful that someone has taken in interest, and not only that they may take over the situation for you. If getting in touch with the family isn't an option, I would walk upstairs and introduce myself and ask, "hey man, tell me, what the heck's going on in your life?"
    I agree, and as I said before, I plan to do this. I also strongly suspect that 1) the chances of catching him sober are slim, and 2) the chances that he will respond to the knock on the door are equally slim. I'll still try, though.

As for getting in touch with his family... there's a whole bunch more information that I'd need to have in order to do that... as in who his family is, where they are, and how to contact them.
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Are you going to report him the DMV also? After all he MIGHT decide to drive. Waht about reporting him to the SPCA, he MIGHT decide to hurt an innocent animal. While your at it, you better report him to Childrens Welfare Services (or whatever it is called there), after all he MIGHT decide to do something to a neighborhood kid for making too much noise.

The police are aware of the problem. It is there job to handle it, not yours.
    If it was illegal to purchase a car, as it is a firearm, if you have an addiction problem, then, sure, I would contact the DMV or whoever. If I saw him stumble out of a bar and get into a car, I'd call the police too.

I agree that it is the authorities who should handle this, but I don't think it is the sole job of police officers to report potentially dangerous behavior.

I understand what you are saying, and if the tables were turned, I very well might post a response similar to yours. But, I'm in my shoes, and I've seen and heard more than I can write. I'm concerned, and just like I don't want to see a BG get a weapon, I don't want to see this guy get a weapon. Hence I want to alert the appropriate authorities to my concern. They may not be able or willing to do anything, but if I learn that this guy ever does something violent with a gun (intentional or otherwise), it will be on my conscience if I don't pass on my concerns.
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

This is a v-e-r-y slippery slope gents. I personally have been "half-naked, less-than cooperative/responsive & surrounded by the evidence of adult beverages". But technically that could describe a weekend camper in a lawn chair taking an afternoon nap with the empty beer can(s) nearby. I don't think that should disqualify me from otherwise possessing firearms. We are neither qualified or responsible for that decision. You can cover your fanny & ease your mind by relaying any concerns to the authorities, but that's where your responsibility ends, as does (IMHO)...your business.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Dandyone View Post
    Never said a single thing about more laws being needed.

There is ample evidence lately of people that should not have had guns because they were mentally unstable (Aurora, Texas A&M), but had them anyway because that particular message was not shared with the right person/organization at the right time.

We already have laws regarding addicts and guns. I'm merely attempting to make sure the info gets to the right people so they can enforce those laws.

Why? 1) Because I honestly think this guy could be a danger to me, my family, or my friends/neighbors, and 2) because people that 'go postal' with guns is the biggest threat to legal gun ownership.

The slippery slope started when you said that I wanted new laws passed because somebody might do something dangerous.
    Im sorry, but we have to many nannies within our own government, we do NOT need citizens trying to pass judgement and playing nanny for other citizens. If you feel you must do something, find a family member. Let them handle what needs to be handled.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Extreme noise, damage, harm to others ... each of these qualify as potential reasons to contact law enforcement. Unknown whether the person's a serious danger, or merely in a bad patch. Unknown if the person owns firearms. If it turns out the person's deemed a serious risk/threat, then it'll be handled. If that involves evaluation of whether he should be divested of his firearms (temporarily or otherwise), fine.

Though I don't believe we, any of us, have a right to question another's possessions, I do believe we all have a responsibility to ourselves and our community to be the basic eyes/ears that recognize when things are blowing sideways and need to be dealt with (ie, damaging tenants, strangers engaging in apparently suspicious/nefarious activity, outright crime in progress, etc).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The police and EMS responded. They forced entry. A report is going to be written on that. If the police believe that the circumstances that they observed first hand believe him to qualify as a prohibited person they can start the process to get him on that list.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member
    "they found the 'gentleman' semi-conscious on his couch surrounded by empty booze bottles and at least one Rx container. He was half naked, and apparently found it inconvenient to crawl to the bathroom to expel his bodily waste"

-ahhh.. you never forget your 18th birthday, do ya :)

Anyway...

"The NICS Index contains information that may not be available in the NCIC or the III of persons prohibited from receiving firearms under federal or state law. A valid match of a NICS Index record to a prospective firearm transferee results in an immediate determination of firearm dis-qualification. NICS Index records are voluntarily provided by local, state, tribal, and federal agencies."

"In addition to local, state, tribal, and federal agencies voluntarily contributing information to the NICS Index, the NICS Section receives telephone calls from mental health institutions, psychiatrists, police departments, and family members requesting placement of individuals into the NICS Index. Frequently, these are emergency situations and require immediate attention. Any documentation justifying a valid entry into the NICS Index must be available to the originating agencies."

If this individual indeed has an extensive history with Law Enforcement regarding violence, substance abuse, etc. then it's very likely that he's already on "the list".

I personally would just keep the SA up until his eviction is complete and if the opportunity arose, would try to offer a little compassion. I know more than one good person who has "hit bottom", especially in these difficult times, and turned to substance abuse (resulting in violent episodes) as a form of escape. Sometimes a few kind words can be enough to prevent someone in such a position from going over the edge... and let's face it, being on the FBI's NICS index does NOT prevent people from obtaining guns, knives, baseball bats, boards with rusty nails in 'em, etc.

At the very least look at it this way: if he does decide to go psycho, do you want him to know you (and your family) as the guy who was kind - or the guy that added insult to his injury?

--Just sayin'
    Dandyone likes this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

sgb
    In Florida the LEO's would have automatically Baker acted (placed into 72hr psychiatric observation) him.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Yeah alchohol left me in some pretty embarassing situations back when I was in the Navy but I rarely drink these days...luckily I didn't have friends like you around, so I can still own my guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    Yeah alchohol left me in some pretty embarassing situations back when I was in the Navy but I rarely drink these days...luckily I didn't have friends like you around, so I can still own my guns.
    Not fair. There is a difference between what this guy did/is, and what happens when people indulge in excess. You've been there, I've been there, but upstairs is not where either of us have gone (I hope).

I take your comment as a personal dig. You don't know me, and if we were friends and you fell into the pit of despair as this guy has, I would help you.
    GGs
    BGs

Quote Originally Posted by Dandyone View Post
    Not fair. There is a difference between what this guy did/is, and what happens when people indulge in excess. You've been there, I've been there, but upstairs is not where either of us have gone (I hope).

I take your comment as a personal dig. You don't know me, and if we were friends and you fell into the pit of despair as this guy has, I would help you.
    Ok first I apologize for my post sounding a bit too personal...sincerely that was wrong but I needed to make the point. Second, you don't know where I was emotionally during my first divorce, after being cheated on while deployed, while being under investigation by NCIS for trumped up charges by the same woman, dead broke and absolutely alone. Bad things happen and sometimes people embarrass (sp-1) themselves. I don't mean to offend but I want you to think real hard on whether your qualified to deny this guy his future rights (for possibly the rest of his life) before you take up to much of a nanny attitude/actions.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Look at the bigger picture... Making it illegal for him to purchase a gun will do what? NOTHING! If he wants a gun, he will find a way to get one. As such, it would be wiser to not be one that has meddled in his affairs should he choose to "get even". As others have noted, law enforcement is aware of him and will deal with him as they see fit. As for yourself, be vigilant, be ready, but be invisible.
    Dandyone and joker1 like this.
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

Ok first I apologize for my post sounding a bit too personal...sincerely that was wrong but I needed to make the point. Second, you don't know where I was emotionally during my first divorce, after being cheated on while deployed, while being under investigation by NCIS for trumped up charges by the same woman, dead broke and absolutely alone. Bad things happen and sometimes people embarrass (sp-1) themselves. I don't mean to offend but I want you to think real hard on whether your qualified to deny this guy his future rights (for possibly the rest of his life) before you take up to much of a nanny attitude/actions.
    I am NOT qualified to deny anyone of their rights. I feel obliged, however, to share potential intel with the authorities. All I was looking for was whether anyone on DC could help me figure out who I should talk to.

Rather than help, I feel like I've been painted as an invasive gun control advocate, which I am certainly not.

Changing subject, I'm very glad that you made it through the difficult times. Being cheated and abused by your most trusted confidant would send most people into an abyss. Luckily for you, you pulled out of it. And, like I said, if I were your friend at the time, I most certainly would have been there to help.

Apologies for misconstruing what you were saying. In my mind, I was thinking back to the parties that I engaged with my Navy buddies back in the days before family and responsibility.
    GGs
    BGs

How about an outstretched hand, a bottle of juice, and a bottle of advil...followed by a neighborly caring conversation that started with a very firm Dude..." I bet when someone is that low just the understanding that someone cares would help significantly more than reporting him to someone behind his back.
    Dandyone likes this.

How about an outstretched hand, a bottle of juice, and a bottle of advil...followed by a neighborly caring conversation that started with a very firm Dude..." I bet when someone is that low just the understanding that someone cares would help significantly more than reporting him to someone behind his back.
    That is the plan. We'll see if the plan can be executed. As I've said before, another neighbor attempted to reach out, but her knocks to the door were not answered (should mention she could hear him inside).

I'll determine what needs to be done after talking to him.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    GGs
    BGs

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links