How do you report someone who should not own a firearm? - Page 4

How do you report someone who should not own a firearm?

This is a discussion on How do you report someone who should not own a firearm? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Harryball Does he own any weapons right now? Do not take this the wrong way, but who are you to be a ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: How do you report someone who should not own a firearm?

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Does he own any weapons right now? Do not take this the wrong way, but who are you to be a moral compass for someone with a problem. This could be a temporary position in his life, why wreck it for him. If you want to help him, contact his family. There is no need for you to muddy around in his life. If the authorities want to muddy around let them, they are paid for that. JMO
    You say he is dangerous. How? He maybe loud, rude, but has he done anything? You should prepare yourself for any situation that may be thrown your way, however, there are a lot of folks out there that are like your neighbor, they have issues, and most of the time, die with those issues. IMO unless he has done something to you or your family, it is still none of your business.
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Are you going to report him the DMV also? After all he MIGHT decide to drive. Waht about reporting him to the SPCA, he MIGHT decide to hurt an innocent animal. While your at it, you better report him to Childrens Welfare Services (or whatever it is called there), after all he MIGHT decide to do something to a neighborhood kid for making too much noise.

The police are aware of the problem. It is there job to handle it, not yours.
    Im sorry, but we have to many nannies within our own government, we do NOT need citizens trying to pass judgement and playing nanny for other citizens. If you feel you must do something, find a family member. Let them handle what needs to be handled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandyone View Post
    Archer51 and Suntzu,

"Section 922(g) of the Gun Control Act prohibits certain persons from shipping or transporting any firearm in interstate or foreign commerce, or receiving any firearm which has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, or possessing any firearm in or affecting commerce. These prohibitions apply to any person who:
    18, U.S.C. §922 (g) (3)
    Is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance
    ..."

Seems pretty clear to me. Maybe I'm missing something, but all that it looks like that needs to be established is that said neighbor is an unlawful user or addicted.

I don't know if he owns or wants to own a firearm. I do know that I would *definitely* not feel safe if he was anywhere near one, though. In such a case, all that might be between my kid's head and a bullet is a thin floor and a piece of wallboard.

Frankly, I think there are some folks here who are protecting the wrong guy. And I don't buy the whole slippery slope argument.
    Judge not least you be judged
    You don't have a clue about this guy. You describe him as half naked to make a point....uh he was in his own home his state of undress is not relevant. Semi conscious ....is that anything like drunk? You had to bleach everything he came in contact with? Why did you have to take that upon yourself?
    Sorry sounds like one of those over zealous HOA type places that has a problem with renters and this attitude is furthered by your wanting to "tell on him". While he may be a bad neighbor your judgement of weather he should be able to own a firearm is off base.

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    I don't mean to be a jerk, but in america we are still (mostly) innocent until proven guilty. He hasn't committed a crime (from what you have described). He is not a criminal. Drinking alcohol to the point of defecating on oneself, while sad, is still legal in your own home. What you "THINK" he "MIGHT" do "IF" he had a weapon is never, EVER justifiable cause for ruining someone's life by having them declared incompetent (having the committed), or for somehow trumping up some charges that he's abusing substances that he legally has the right to use. Whether or not he is using those drugs according to his prescription is an issue between him and his doctor.

Things like having someone committed can *ruin their lives*.

The matter would be entirely different if the guy got drunk and went around *threatening* to do harm to someone. That's a crime... and that's something you'd be justifiably concerned about. Then you could get a restraining order, or any number of other actions. IF a crime had been being committed that would prevent him from owning a weapon, the police would have dealt with it. That's their job.

If the system worked any other way, all anyone would have to do is report you or I as "going through a rough time right now" and boom, no more guns for you. Even if you're stone cold sober.

As for him bleeding into yours? Well, you did what you can do. You reported it, and you had the police come out, and they dealt with it, and now he's being evicted. Life is messy sometimes. Wait out your 90 days. Be vigilant of his behavior... as you should always be anyway.

If you actually want to help the situation, maybe the better question would have been:

"Are there any crisis counseling services that I can refer this guy to that can help him get through his issues without further injuring himself or others?"

It's funny, among all the chatter about the Aurora shooting... there's so much noise about our "gun problem" and so little noise about our "mental illness problem".
    As we speak, he is destroying the owner's property. I'm not sure if this is malicious or a side effect. Perhaps you missed my update. He came straight home from the hospital and 'picked up where he left off'. Another neighbor called the police and left the building out of fear.

To be clear, I AM NOT RUINING THIS GUY'S LIFE... HE IS RUINING HIS OWN LIFE!

"IF a crime had been being committed that would prevent him from owning a weapon, the police would have dealt with it. That's their job."

Are you kidding me? Have you missed the recent events? Are police infallible?

"Things like having someone committed can *ruin their lives*."

In this case, his life is already ruined. Police called twice in two days. Two ambulance rides to the hospital in a matter of a couple weeks. Falling down dozens of times every day...

Try this one on for size. Getting him committed might *save his life*!

Oh, and BTW, I can't have anyone committed. All I can do is alert the authorities to my concerns. Then it is up to them to drop the ball.... er... do something.

"If you actually want to help the situation, maybe the better question would have been:

"Are there any crisis counseling services that I can refer this guy to that can help him get through his issues without further injuring himself or others?"

That question has already been asked, and there is a mental health/crisis worker who is going to meet the homeowner to provide further expert guidance.

"It's funny, among all the chatter about the Aurora shooting... there's so much noise about our "gun problem" and so little noise about our "mental illness problem".

Agreed. I'm trying to make noise about the real problem before the real problem (this guys addiction and other issues) turns into a 'gun problem'.

"What you "THINK" he "MIGHT" do "IF" he had a weapon is never, EVER justifiable cause for ruining someone's life by having them declared incompetent (having the committed), or for somehow trumping up some charges that he's abusing substances that he legally has the right to use."

This is more about what he already has done, and what he continues to do than some apparently unjustified fear of what he might do. I have a justifiable concern about what could happen if he handled a loaded gun in his 'normal' state.

And, btw, the police didn't deal with it. They responded. The problem is ongoing (at this moment in fact) which means that it was certainly not 'dealt' with. Dealt is the past tense, and suggests that the issue is over.

"If the system worked any other way, all anyone would have to do is report you or I as "going through a rough time right now" and boom, no more guns for you. Even if you're stone cold sober."

I stressed before that I'm not buying into this slippery slope argument. It is unfounded. This guy has shown that he is a danger to himself and others. Period. That is the only thing that has been determined at this point.

But, feel free to continue to criticize a fellow protector of the 2A.
    vca2004 likes this.
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Quote Originally Posted by Badbullgator View Post
    Judge not least you be judged
    You don't have a clue about this guy. You describe him as half naked to make a point....uh he was in his own home his state of undress is not relevant. Semi conscious ....is that anything like drunk? You had to bleach everything he came in contact with? Why did you have to take that upon yourself?
    Sorry sounds like one of those over zealous HOA type places that has a problem with renters and this attitude is furthered by your wanting to "tell on him". While he may be a bad neighbor your judgement of weather he should be able to own a firearm is off base.
    I appreciate your comment. To be clear, the police and/or EMTs suggested/urged that anything he might have touched be cleaned with bleach. Twas not my idea, as I came home just as he was being loaded into the ambulance. The cleaning products were already out.

BTW, you just judged me right after saying "Judge not least you be judged".

I do have a clue about this guy, but I don't know the whole story. Don't need it. Don't want it. He has caused thousands of dollars of damage to the owner's property. This is not an inconvenient, one off noise complaint. I've been the President of HOAs, I know the difference.

Semi-conscious = Not beyond moaning and moving, but unable or at least unwilling to respond to the PD and FD demands to open the door.

Half naked = description so you could imagine the scene, not judge story by his choice of clothing.

And I don't want to 'tell on' anyone. Not my style. BUT, I'm not going to sit by while this guy disrupts my life, scares my child, destroys my friend's property, and makes other homeowners feel so uncomfortable and unsafe that they leave their homes in the middle of the day.
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

@OP: You said at 5:04 a neighbor called the police. You posted at 6:51 he is trashing the place.......have the police arrived? Seems like a long time for LEO's to respond and not be able to control the guy. Just wondering how it has been almost 2 hours and LEO's are not controlling him. In your words at 6:51
    As we speak, he is destroying the owner's property. I'm not sure if this is malicious or a side effect. Perhaps you missed my update. He came straight home from the hospital and 'picked up where he left off'. Another neighbor called the police and left the building out of fear.
    Got a camera...pics help and are fun to look at :)
    Dandyone likes this.

Didn't feel it was my place to take pix in someone else's unit, and wouldn't post them if I did.

Owner had tried to sell, but couldn't due to market, so was force to rent. Before putting on market she had refinished the original oak flooring. It is not completely destroyed, but the spilled booze had damaged the finish, and dropped items had dented the floor.

She has a modern, industrial steel floor in the kitchen. Apparently it is now rusted. I didn't see it, but that is what she shared with me.

We have original leaded glass doors on the interior of the units. Two were broken.

There is now a big hole in her wall (which is directly the responsibility of the FD, but... well...)

Perhaps that will paint a picture in your mind? It's the best I can do...
    GGs
    BGs

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    @OP: You said at 5:04 a neighbor called the police. You posted at 6:51 he is trashing the place.......have the police arrived? Seems like a long time for LEO's to respond and not be able to control the guy. Just wondering how it has been almost 2 hours and LEO's are not controlling him. In your words at 6:51

Got a camera...pics help and are fun to look at :)
    I would love to know the answer.

To my knowledge, the police have not responded. To the best of my knowledge, and I haven't had an update for a bit, the owner has arrived, and is waiting for police in the lobby.

The person that called the police left the building.

At the time the owner called me, the renter had stopped making noise, but is still in the unit. We don't know if he: a) settled down and is drinking some herbal tea, b) passed out, ore c) is dead or somewhere approaching that state.

The owner has been advised to wait for the police.

The police have clearly not prioritized this call.

Not much more I can say, but my story is consistent, and delivered to the best of my (imperfect) knowledge.

Wish I could tell you more. Wish I knew why the police have not arrived. Could be low priority, or it could be bad intel... that the neighbor did not in fact follow through with calling the police after telling my wife that she was going to.

Lots of questions. Not so many answers.

Apologies.

P.s. this might get posted twice. I originally replied via email, but it has not shown up.
    GGs
    BGs

The moment you refuse the civil rights for just a few.
    What happens when that few includes you?

The bottom line is, only the courts can decide whether or not to strip him of his 2nd amendment rights. You seem to know that.

As for being insane and a danger, that can only be decided by licensed psychiatrist. Then, the person STILL MUST declare physical harm to a specific person to the psychiatrist. After that, the psychiatrist can forcibly commit that person, but the removal of 2nd amendment rights still has to be taken to court.

If a person voluntarily commits him/herself to a mental facility, even saying they wish to commit suicide, put on psycotropic drugs, etc. they still CANNOT strip them of their gun rights. The person HAS to verbally say they will kill someone specific in front of a licensed psychiatrist.

You can call the cops on this guy 10 times a day, explain that you think he's dangerous etc... unless he actually attacks you, there is really NOTHING you can do.

If he threatens you, then you can get a restraining order, go in front of a judge, and if he/she agrees, then that person HAS to move NOW. Not next week, not 30 days, not 90 days. RIGHT NOW. Again, he HAS to have threaten or attack you or actually attack you. If all he is doing is being destructive to himself, then you're out of luck.

Cops can only hold him so long without charges, and then only specific charges. Being a public nuisance isn't something they'll hold him for. They CAN keep him under mdeical observation for around 72hours if they truly believe he is psycho, but unless he actually attacks someone, they won't.

It sucks to be in your position, but the best thing you can do is keep up the vigilence to protect youself and your own. Document his observations incase it comes to putting him down. THen you;ll at least have a record of how it came to that.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Okay, playing Devil's Advocate here:

So, after this guy goes off the deep end and shoots a dozen or so Condo dwellers, how many of you are going to say, "OP, you should have done something when you had the chance!"

Isn't this very much the case(s) where everyone says all the red flags were showing, yet no one picked up on them or pressed the issue?

[Ball bounces back onto opponnet's court.]
    21bubba, ArmyMan and vca2004 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by MCFLYFYTER View Post
    The moment you refuse the civil rights for just a few.
    What happens when that few includes you?
    Who is 'you'?

I can't refuse anyone their civil rights.

The courts can, and they routinely do. Every time the courts convict someone of a felony, away go their rights. You may disagree with that, but it is how the system works.

So, I am confident that my rights won't be taken away because I don't have an addiction, haven't and won't commit a felony, am of sound mind and take care of myself in the hopes that I will remain of sound mind, and I've not been dishonorably discharged from the military, and I've not denounced my citizenship.

If my rights are otherwise threatened without cause, then we can have a new conversation.
    GGs
    BGs

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post

So, after this guy goes off the deep end and shoots a dozen or so Condo dwellers, how many of you are going to say, "OP, you should have done something when you had the chance!"

Isn't this very much the case(s) where everyone says all the red flags were showing, yet no one picked up on them or pressed the issue?

This is in part why I'm trying to do something. I'm trying to get this guy flagged just in case.

Does it mean he can't go mental with a machete? NO
    Does it mean he can't go make a fertilizer bomb? NO
    Does it mean he can't get a gun illegally? NO... In fact, it ensures that if he does get a gun it will be illegally.

Won't protect me or my family, friends and neighbors. Personal protection is up to me, my family, and them.

Do I think he's going to go off the deep end? Yes. He already has.

Do I think he's going to go off the deep end and shoot a bunch of people? No. But it is a possibility. I'm more concerned at this point that he has a firearm and decides to play with it in a drunken, drug-induced stupor. If he doesn't have one, and decides that he wants one... I have to question what would guide such a decision. His life is going to _____, and gun purchases during such a period raise a red flag.

All I intend to do is pass this flag along. If the police already did so. Good. It won't hurt for the message to go twice.

If they didn't... well, seeing as I'm not family, the authorities are not likely to do a darn thing. The best I can hope for is that my concern makes it on record, so that if it happens again, and some other fine upstanding, moral citizen like myself reports him, they may start taking a closer look at his history and profile.

Too many people here are twisting this into an attack on the RKBA. That is not what this is. No more than taking the RKBA away from dangerous felons.
    GGs
    BGs

Quote Originally Posted by Dandyone View Post
    Who is 'you'?

I can't refuse anyone their civil rights.

The courts can, and they routinely do. Every time the courts convict someone of a felony, away go their rights. You may disagree with that, but it is how the system works.

So, I am confident that my rights won't be taken away because I don't have an addiction, haven't and won't commit a felony, am of sound mind and take care of myself in the hopes that I will remain of sound mind, and I've not been dishonorably discharged from the military, and I've not denounced my citizenship.

If my rights are otherwise threatened without cause, then we can have a new conversation.
    Exactly!! It is ok, until you are the guy being targeted. That is why Americans stand aside when things like the NDAA are passed. If the citizens they detain indefinitely without trial were bad guys, why not give them a trial? I bet you would think differently when that black bag comes for you. That is what you call "the illusion of freedom".

Administrator
    Well, you can't really pre-suppose that this guy is even thinking about purchasing a firearm.

Maybe...what he is thinking about is buying 5 or 10 gallons of gasoline and spilling that down those nice long hallways in your building.

Maybe what he is thinking about is going down into the basement and hacksawing the main natural gas line in half...waiting until the entire basement fills up with gas and tossing a match down there.

Could you get him him barred from hardware stores and gas stations also?

You have no idea what is on his mind but, if he intends to be a danger to himself and others (you and yours included) there are a thousand assorted ways that he could be extremely dangerous without owning a firearm.
    tessa, CLASS3NH and ArmyMan like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post

It all boils down to what QK said. If the guy is determined to take people out, there is noting that can be done to stop him, until he has broken the law and the police/DA act on it.
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Yup. Just cuz there are a thousand ways to hurt, mame or kill doesn't mean I should ignore the one that is super easy and chosen all too frequently.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    GGs
    BGs

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links