How do you report someone who should not own a firearm? - Page 5

How do you report someone who should not own a firearm?

This is a discussion on How do you report someone who should not own a firearm? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Dandyone Yup. Just cuz there are a thousand ways to hurt, mame or kill doesn't mean I should ignore the one that ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: How do you report someone who should not own a firearm?

Quote Originally Posted by Dandyone View Post
    Yup. Just cuz there are a thousand ways to hurt, mame or kill doesn't mean I should ignore the one that is super easy and chosen all too frequently.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    Don't ignore it. If you are responsible, you will take measures to protect yourself. If someone feels that they should not take extra measures to protect themselves, they should keep Captain Americas phone number handy.
    vca2004 likes this.

Update. Police hauled guy back to the hospital after he destroyed some more of the condo owner's property.

GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Badbullgator View Post
    Judge not least you be judged
    You don't have a clue about this guy. You describe him as half naked to make a point....uh he was in his own home his state of undress is not relevant. Semi conscious ....is that anything like drunk? You had to bleach everything he came in contact with? Why did you have to take that upon yourself?
    Sorry sounds like one of those over zealous HOA type places that has a problem with renters and this attitude is furthered by your wanting to "tell on him". While he may be a bad neighbor your judgement of weather he should be able to own a firearm is off base.
    So the O.P. "doesn't have a clue? Yet you with the apparent ability to see, hear,feel, and smell from a very long distance (Florida-Washington)have the answer?

Being concerned about one's surroundings is not a bad thing. How to act on said concerns is all that was asked for.

Too many people here are twisting this into an attack on the RKBA. That is not what this is. No more than taking the RKBA away from dangerous felons.
    The thing is, you've provided NO evidence that he IS a dangerous felon, and you seem to be oblivious to the fact that unless he IS a dangerous felon, he is as protected as the rest of us.
    Crowman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    The thing is, you've provided NO evidence that he IS a dangerous felon, and you seem to be oblivious to the fact that unless he IS a dangerous felon, he is as protected as the rest of us.
    There is a long list of behaviors, actions and traits that will get your right to own a firearm taken away. One is being a felon. Another is abuse or addiction, and for valid reasons. You may disagree with them, but that doesn't change the laws.

Read up, my friend, and remember that I'm on your side.

GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

VIP Member
    The balancing of individual freedom and government intervention is sometimes akin to walking on a tightrope. It's not a perfect system, but it's the best mankind has invented so far.

Talk the LEO's, maybe the prosecutor. They know the local laws better than us Internet phantoms. Realize that if you start sticking your nose in it and the guy finds out, he may not be so friendly.

In the meantime, stay armed, and if it continues, think about moving.

Imperfect options for an imperfect world.

Good luck.
    vca2004 likes this.

I did notice in your original post that there was no mention of this person doing any damage and or threatening anyone. All you mention is you feel he is addicted to alcohol and was taken prescription drugs.

While you can suggest to whoever that this person should not own weapon the criteria in your state and applicable federal laws will apply in this person owning a weapon. You have no authority over the matter other than calling the police if he creates some type of disturbance.
    Last edited by Crowman; August 17th, 2012 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Addition
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    The balancing of individual freedom and government intervention is sometimes akin to walking on a tightrope. It's not a perfect system, but it's the best mankind has invented so far.

Talk the LEO's, maybe the prosecutor. They know the local laws better than us Internet phantoms. Realize that if you start sticking your nose in it and the guy finds out, he may not be so friendly.

In the meantime, stay armed, and if it continues, think about moving.

Imperfect options for an imperfect world.

Good luck.
    In fact we will soon have our place on the market. Will it sell? Dunno, but if I was a potential buyer and I walked in while this guy was suffering an episode, I would walk away.

I appreciate the well wishes.

GGs
    BGs

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    While you can suggest to whoever that this person should not own weapon the criteria in your state and applicable federal laws will apply in this person owning a weapon. You have no authority over the matter other than calling the police if he creates some type of disturbance.
    Exactly. That's all I plan to do. Hopefully it can be done in an anonymous way. If not, well there are some things to think about.

GGs
    BGs

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Are you going to report him the DMV also? After all he MIGHT decide to drive. Waht about reporting him to the SPCA, he MIGHT decide to hurt an innocent animal. While your at it, you better report him to Childrens Welfare Services (or whatever it is called there), after all he MIGHT decide to do something to a neighborhood kid for making too much noise.

The police are aware of the problem. It is there job to handle it, not yours.
    +1 on the above. The PD should be working with the Landlord on this one. It falls mainly on the Landlord to get the individual out, and not you, though you have a voice in the matter, as it effects the living conditions for you and your neighbors. I would say it would be wise to voice your concerns to your Landlord, or your Condo association.
    As far as him being able to own a gun, it's not your business, unless he proves to be mentally unfit, or is convicted of posessing illegal drugs, or is a danger to himself or others, but all this MUST be proven by a Judge, or Mental Facility, which he'll spend some time being evaluated and off the street in that process of evaluation.
    Don't take the following the wrong way.
    If you wish to take this man in as your responsibility, (which I don't think you'll want that) then and only then can you decide what he does with his Life.
    Just sit tight, keep your SA up, and let the PD and Landlord take care of it.

Just my .02 on it.
    Crowman likes this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

There is a long list of behaviors, actions and traits that will get your right to own a firearm taken away. One is being a felon. Another is abuse or addiction, and for valid reasons. You may disagree with them, but that doesn't change the laws.

Read up, my friend, and remember that I'm on your side.

So he's not a felon, so stop talking about him lik he is.

He's an alcoholic and he may abuse drugs which he legally possesses. That sucks, but those are not a crime by themselves, and unless he tries to obtain a handgun license where he's required to swear under oath that he is not an alcoholic, it won't be a crime.

Unless you think we should have some national alcoholics registry to prevent alcoholics from owning firearms, I'm not sure what would make you possibly think you could inform on him for? He hasn't done anything wrong. He hasn't even threatened to do anything wrong.
    Crowman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    So he's not a felon, so stop talking about him lik he is.

He's an alcoholic and he may abuse drugs which he legally possesses. That sucks, but those are not a crime by themselves, and unless he tries to obtain a handgun license where he's required to swear under oath that he is not an alcoholic, it won't be a crime.

Unless you think we should have some national alcoholics registry to prevent alcoholics from owning firearms, I'm not sure what would make you possibly think you could inform on him for? He hasn't done anything wrong. He hasn't even threatened to do anything wrong.
    Nice try. Come back with your 'A' game.

GGs
    BGs

Latest update:

After the police sent him to the hospital this afternoon, he 'escaped', hit the booze market on the way home, and managed to down - get this - a GALLON of vodka before I heard a gigantic crash of his body hitting the floor followed by a bunch of moaning and whimpering/screaming... I called the police, again, and he is now on the way to the hospital for the third time in roughly 24 hours. When the police gained entry, they were astonished to see that he had purchased 5 gallons of vodka, and that one was already gone. They were literally grabbing the latest to the scene and emphatically saying "You gotta see this... This is absolutely amazing... These bottles were not here earlier today... John, how much did you have to drink?... Did you drink a gallon?... John, you know you are killing yourself, right?... John, what day is it?... John, can you pull up your pants?..." (BTW, at this point he was laying in the hall with his pants around his knees.)

On the positive side, I finally got to check this guy out in person, and listen to him being 'interviewed' by the police/fire department (all of whom I recognized from last night). The upshot, I no longer have any real strong notion that he might have or soon purchase a weapon, but of course anything is possible... except, possibly, me getting a full night's sleep.

I think we can close the book on whether this guy has an addiction problem. But, I'm sure some of you will still defend his RKBA. IMHO, Thomas Jefferson would likely give you all grief for remaining steadfast to a singular belief without consideration of the nuances involved.

Feel free to chuck more darts at me for believing that this guy should be on the 'no fly' list.
    vca2004 likes this.
    GGs
    BGs

Latest update:

After the police sent him to the hospital this afternoon, he 'escaped', hit the booze market on the way home, and managed to down - get this - a GALLON of vodka before I heard a gigantic crash of his body hitting the floor followed by a bunch of moaning and whimpering/screaming... I called the police, again, and he is now on the way to the hospital for the third time in roughly 24 hours. When the police gained entry, they were astonished to see that he had purchased 5 gallons of vodka, and that one was already gone. They were literally grabbing the latest to the scene and emphatically saying "You gotta see this... This is absolutely amazing... These bottles were not here earlier today... John, how much did you have to drink?... Did you drink a gallon?... John, you know you are killing yourself, right?... John, what day is it?... John, can you pull up your pants?..." (BTW, at this point he was laying in the hall with his pants around his knees.)

On the positive side, I finally got to check this guy out in person, and listen to him being 'interviewed' by the police/fire department (all of whom I recognized from last night). The upshot, I no longer have any real strong notion that he might have or soon purchase a weapon, but of course anything is possible... except, possibly, me getting a full night's sleep.

I think we can close the book on whether this guy has an addiction problem. But, I'm sure some of you will still defend his RKBA. IMHO, Thomas Jefferson would likely give you all grief for remaining steadfast to a singular belief without consideration of the nuances involved.

Feel free to chuck more darts at me for believing that this guy should be on the 'no fly' list.
    He escaped from the hospital...with his clothes..and his wallet and money....which as a matter of protocol would have been locked up. At least the hospital my wife worked at tha is what happened.

Not sure where you're trying to go with the comment, suntzu. I take it you did not like the use of the word 'escape'?

Escape: to break loose, get free from

I escaped detention.
    I escaped work before my boss returned.
    I escaped from the bonds of love.
    Your name escaped my mind.

I put 'escaped' in quotation marks precisely because he wasn't restrained, trapped, or otherwise detained. I suppose I could have used the word 'stumbled'... or 'strutted'... or whatever.

At any rate, the point was he left the hospital *again*, picked up right where he left off *again*, crashed around a rented unit (someone else's property) *again*, after drinking way, way, way too much booze *again*, only to be 'rescued' by the police and fire department *again*. My tax dollars hard at work.

People like him should not have access to things that go boom. There, I said it *again*.
    GGs
    BGs

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links