How do you report someone who should not own a firearm? - Page 6

How do you report someone who should not own a firearm?

This is a discussion on How do you report someone who should not own a firearm? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; You should protect yourself and your family ,just like you would any other day against any other threat.Getting involved in this guy's life will just ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: How do you report someone who should not own a firearm?

You should protect yourself and your family ,just like you would any other day against any other threat.Getting involved in this guy's life will just destroy your focus and draw his drug addled attention to you.
    The easy way is always mined.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Does he own any weapons right now? Do not take this the wrong way, but who are you to be a moral compass for someone with a problem. This could be a temporary position in his life, why wreck it for him. If you want to help him, contact his family. There is no need for you to muddy around in his life. If the authorities want to muddy around let them, they are paid for that. JMO
    You say he is dangerous. How? He maybe loud, rude, but has he done anything? You should prepare yourself for any situation that may be thrown your way, however, there are a lot of folks out there that are like your neighbor, they have issues, and most of the time, die with those issues. IMO unless he has done something to you or your family, it is still none of your business.
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Are you going to report him the DMV also? After all he MIGHT decide to drive. Waht about reporting him to the SPCA, he MIGHT decide to hurt an innocent animal. While your at it, you better report him to Childrens Welfare Services (or whatever it is called there), after all he MIGHT decide to do something to a neighborhood kid for making too much noise.

The police are aware of the problem. It is there job to handle it, not yours.
    Im sorry, but we have to many nannies within our own government, we do NOT need citizens trying to pass judgement and playing nanny for other citizens. If you feel you must do something, find a family member. Let them handle what needs to be handled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandyone View Post
    Latest update:

After the police sent him to the hospital this afternoon, he 'escaped', hit the booze market on the way home, and managed to down - get this - a GALLON of vodka before I heard a gigantic crash of his body hitting the floor followed by a bunch of moaning and whimpering/screaming... I called the police, again, and he is now on the way to the hospital for the third time in roughly 24 hours. When the police gained entry, they were astonished to see that he had purchased 5 gallons of vodka, and that one was already gone. They were literally grabbing the latest to the scene and emphatically saying "You gotta see this... This is absolutely amazing... These bottles were not here earlier today... John, how much did you have to drink?... Did you drink a gallon?... John, you know you are killing yourself, right?... John, what day is it?... John, can you pull up your pants?..." (BTW, at this point he was laying in the hall with his pants around his knees.)

On the positive side, I finally got to check this guy out in person, and listen to him being 'interviewed' by the police/fire department (all of whom I recognized from last night). The upshot, I no longer have any real strong notion that he might have or soon purchase a weapon, but of course anything is possible... except, possibly, me getting a full night's sleep.

I think we can close the book on whether this guy has an addiction problem. But, I'm sure some of you will still defend his RKBA. IMHO, Thomas Jefferson would likely give you all grief for remaining steadfast to a singular belief without consideration of the nuances involved.

Feel free to chuck more darts at me for believing that this guy should be on the 'no fly' list.
    I call BS, sorry but I have a feeling your making stuff up to try to make a point.

Carry on
    suntzu and Clodbert like this.

I live in a condo, and my upstairs neighbor (a renter, not owner) has a destructive addition to alcohol and Rx pills.

Last night whilst battling his demons, he was making such a racket that we were justified in calling the police. When they showed up, he wouldn't open the door or respond. The fire department was called to get in. They decided that breaking in through the milk door (bldg. circa 1928) was preferable to kicking in the front door. This involved cutting a hole big enough to crawl through into the larger closet that the milk door opened into. Here's a pic of the aftermath (see below).

When they got in, they found the 'gentleman' semi-conscious on his couch surrounded by empty booze bottles and at least one Rx container. He was half naked, and apparently found it inconvenient to crawl to the bathroom to expel his bodily waste (sorry to be graphic, but we are talking #1 and #2).

He was not completely unconscious, and was able to stumble his way with some assistance down the hall, three flights of stairs, and through the atrium. We had to bleach-clean everything that he might have touched in the common areas after the ambulance carted him off.

So, this guy is going to be evicted, but since the pills were 'legal' (though how he used them was certainly not), the owner can't boot this guy out immediately. To the contrary, our renter-rights laws force the owner to give a 90-day notice!

Given the event that just happened when officers attempted to serve the eviction notice in College Station, TX, and given that this guy is clearly not of sound mind, nor free of substance abuse, I feel justified in urging authorities to restrict this guy from purchasing a weapon. I know this may sound like blasphemy, but I feel it justified... especially with the Aurora shooting so close in the rearview mirror.

So, after the long intro, here is my question: How do I go about doing this? Who should I contact? What considerations should I make before contacting anyone?

Thanks so much for any words of encouragement or guidance. DC is a great resource.

Attachment 61806

edit: Forgot to mention that I learned last night that he had been hauled off in an ambulance only a couple of weeks prior... so this is not a one-off event.
    His home, his rules, right?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Trolliing or just stupidity....not really sure. But back to the OP, if you can supply in intelligent response we would all love to hear it.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I have encountered thousands of people like this in my life. It never occurred to me to contact authorities to deprive them of firearm ownership. How about contacting his doctor or pharmacist to deprive him of the pills while your at it?
    atctimmy likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

I live in a condo, and my upstairs neighbor (a renter, not owner) has a destructive addition to alcohol and Rx pills.

Last night whilst battling his demons, he was making such a racket that we were justified in calling the police. When they showed up, he wouldn't open the door or respond. The fire department was called to get in. They decided that breaking in through the milk door (bldg. circa 1928) was preferable to kicking in the front door. This involved cutting a hole big enough to crawl through into the larger closet that the milk door opened into. Here's a pic of the aftermath (see below).

When they got in, they found the 'gentleman' semi-conscious on his couch surrounded by empty booze bottles and at least one Rx container. He was half naked, and apparently found it inconvenient to crawl to the bathroom to expel his bodily waste (sorry to be graphic, but we are talking #1 and #2).

He was not completely unconscious, and was able to stumble his way with some assistance down the hall, three flights of stairs, and through the atrium. We had to bleach-clean everything that he might have touched in the common areas after the ambulance carted him off.

So, this guy is going to be evicted, but since the pills were 'legal' (though how he used them was certainly not), the owner can't boot this guy out immediately. To the contrary, our renter-rights laws force the owner to give a 90-day notice!

Given the event that just happened when officers attempted to serve the eviction notice in College Station, TX, and given that this guy is clearly not of sound mind, nor free of substance abuse, I feel justified in urging authorities to restrict this guy from purchasing a weapon. I know this may sound like blasphemy, but I feel it justified... especially with the Aurora shooting so close in the rearview mirror.

So, after the long intro, here is my question: How do I go about doing this? Who should I contact? What considerations should I make before contacting anyone?

Thanks so much for any words of encouragement or guidance. DC is a great resource.

Attachment 61806

edit: Forgot to mention that I learned last night that he had been hauled off in an ambulance only a couple of weeks prior... so this is not a one-off event.
    As to OP directly, your neighbor has made your apartment "uninhabitable" (ask your lawyer about "Implied Warranty of Habitability") and you can be moved to another unit at no cost to you and/or let out of your rental agreement. This is statutory and does not require a special clause. It will require, however, a lawyer and a hearing to sue your landlord for it. Be sure to ask for your legal costs, too.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Trolliing or just stupidity....not really sure. But back to the OP, if you can supply in intelligent response we would all love to hear it.
    It's called 'mirroring', and yes I also think folks are trolling or just stupid when they make the "my home, my rules" aka "mememememe" argument Perspective FTW.

Instead of dwelling on this man's sin we need to pray for him that he opens his heart to Christ and repents. God can work wonders in your life if you live for him.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ponchsox View Post
    Instead of dwelling on this man's sin we need to pray for him that he opens his heart to Christ and repents. God can work wonders in your life if you live for him.
    Not the place for religion!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Call management and have the guy evicted. Be vigilant and prepared for any event that might creep up until he's gone, but don't throw gas on the flame and draw attention to yourself or your family. You never know what brought this guy to the level he's now living on, and IMO you should steer clear of it and him. After the event went down that you described, I'm sure the guy will be gone soon enough and your life can get back to some sense of normalcy. Most everyone that has ever partaken of "fire water" has awaken to find themselves a little worse for wear from the ordeal. I kinda feel sorry for the guy, but I know it's his own fault and he surly needs medical care to overcome his demons. Whether or not he accepts the advice that I'm sure has been given to him since the ordeal is up to him. IMO, your preemptive strike might have repercussions and make things worse for both you and your neighbors.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    I have encountered thousands of people like this in my life. It never occurred to me to contact authorities to deprive them of firearm ownership. How about contacting his doctor or pharmacist to deprive him of the pills while your at it?
    +1 .. I understand the guy is creating disturbances for you but that'll be over when he's evicted.

No need to meddle with hos rights in a way thar could take them away for life. He'll be out soon enough.

Sent from my palm device
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Dandyone I think your heart is in the right place with your concern for your families safety. You've done all you can do do by reporting to the police. The landlord may be able to press charges for criminal damage and maybe his drug and alcohol abuse can play into that. I think the most you can do is convince the landlord to press charges. Even if he gets evicted what is to stop him from coming back to the building?

I don't feel like you are attacking the 2nd, but surely you see where restriction of 2A rights for someone because of allegatons similar to what we are discussing could be exploited by anti-gun zealots. Yeah I get that you are not buying the slippery-slope arguement but it is.

Your best option is to move. Escape the danger area, go where trouble isn't. Your landlord should be understanding if you're trying to get out of a lease and like someone mentioned you may have a legal leg to stand on. Can't guarantee you won't have a similar neighbor where you go next but it's worth a shot. Or you could buy/rent a house.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Not sure where you're trying to go with the comment, suntzu. I take it you did not like the use of the word 'escape'?

Escape: to break loose, get free from

I escaped detention.
    I escaped work before my boss returned.
    I escaped from the bonds of love.
    Your name escaped my mind.

I put 'escaped' in quotation marks precisely because he wasn't restrained, trapped, or otherwise detained. I suppose I could have used the word 'stumbled'... or 'strutted'... or whatever.

At any rate, the point was he left the hospital *again*, picked up right where he left off *again*, crashed around a rented unit (someone else's property) *again*, after drinking way, way, way too much booze *again*, only to be 'rescued' by the police and fire department *again*. My tax dollars hard at work.

People like him should not have access to things that go boom. There, I said it *again*.
    When I read the above, with the word "escape" in it, this brings to my mind, the man more than likely signed himself out of the hospital, rather than "escape" The man would have had to have been ordered by a Judge to be held for observation by Doctors and/ or a Psychiatrist.
    I wonder what would happen, should he go before a Judge, and you be there to state your case about him not being able to own a firearm. Maybe that's what you should do, to satisfy your own curiosity, and to let the guy know who may have a voice in his case.
    Am I being sarcastic? nope. Harsh words, maybe a few to help jog your mind into perspective.
    I'm just stating that should you really want to get involved in this guy's life, you'd best plan to show up in the Courtroom. If you don't, then you have no business interferring in his private affairs.
    I do know one thing, if it were me you were attempting to meddle in my affairs, you might find yourself being served with a civil suit. Just food for thought here. Nothing more behind it. If you follow through, you best hope he isn't as sharp as most other people.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I respect what you are saying, but it is not my moral compass that is guiding my concern. If this guy wants to hurt himself, that's his deal. This is about my safety, my family's safety, and my friends and neighbors' safety.

Temporary condition or not, this guy is dangerous. Anyone and everyone who routinely and severely compromises their cognitive capacity and physical being is a danger to themselves and others.

I don't know if he owns any firearms, is on the market for firearms, or will decide that he wants one or more in the future. BUT... I do know that he should not own them because he is a severe substance abuser.

So, I respectfully disagree with the assertion that there is no need to muddy around in his life. His life is bleeding over into mine.
    So...if his actions are criminal...for all you know he could have a history you don't know and is already a prohibited person. What makes you think he couldn't get a gun through illegal means? I understand what you are saying....but instead of standing in judgment, you need to take prudent steps to defend yourself and your family. That includes not identifying your self as a target and someone who wants to meddle in his life. Force the landlord to evict him...you don't need to take it a step further and make guns an issue. Bottom line: it's already been proven BGs can get guns when they need them, and not through legal means.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

There is good and bad in condo/apartment living. The original poster happened upon something bad.

From the original post:
    The fact that you can either buy or rent the condo is not the best way to go. Just saying.........
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

To be perfectly honest it sounds like this guy is wasted 24/7.I seriously doubt if any FFL dealer will even hand the guy a 4473 before showing him the door
    QKShooter and CLASS3NH like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links