i found a firearm..........how do you handle it?

This is a discussion on i found a firearm..........how do you handle it? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; i own a salvage yard and we buy cars from different locations, auctions ect. we were getting ready to scrap a specific car that we ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: i found a firearm..........how do you handle it?

i found a firearm..........how do you handle it?

i own a salvage yard and we buy cars from different locations, auctions ect. we were getting ready to scrap a specific car that we bought from an auction about 8 months ago and inside hidden in the door panel was 2 S&W firearms a semi auto and a revolver. what can i do? do i just turn them into the police, or is there a legal way to take possesion of them? looking for advice so i know my next move.
    thanks
    ArmyMan likes this.
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I think you can report them to the police and if they are not stolen or used in a crime you can claim them after x number of days. Just like if you found a large sum of money.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    You will probably have to get law enforcement involved.

Imagine if you didn't, and they were linked to "something bad", and then found to be in your possession..................

Just sayin'.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I think you can report them to the police and if they are not stolen or used in a crime you can claim them after x number of days. Just like if you found a large sum of money.
    ^^^^^^

This
    Eagleks likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

turn them in, if they are linked to a murder or robbery it can get ulgy

They could even lead to a reward if it helps solve a case. This is one of those situations that isn't worth the troubles it could cause to do it by any other way than right. Turn them in to to law and hope that they are clean and forgotten so you get an unexpected gift of a few free firearms.

Edit to add, what part of NC are you in? I may have a car for you if your close to the Hickory area.
    FLArmadillo likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

GH
    I'd definitely call law enforcement. Let them know that if the guns turn out to be clean you'd like to "salvage" them. After all - that's your business. I'd find out if they were stolen or used in a murder for sure. If the police decide to keep them even if they're clean then oh well.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here but, since you own a salvage yard & have undoubtedly discovered questionable items before, what is unique about "a gun" that legally compels you to turn them in? A gun is not inherently evil nor is it any more likely to be connected to a crime than is a chainsaw or a crowbar. Are there Federal or North Carolina laws requiring a particular course-of-action? Is there any method by which a civilian can check a gun's serial number against the NCIC? After all, you have a clear claim of ownership for the vehicle. Doesn't the affirmative burden of proof therefore shift to the prosecution to connect you with any gun-related criminal activity? Seems to me your alibi is well-established unless there is, in fact, laws addressing these particular circumstances.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Lead Moderator
    Report them to PD. This could help solve a open case , or nail down a criminal who might otherwise get away.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    We had a similar situation here, where two guns were found in a place that had been turned over to a not-for-profit thrift store; basically, the family was pressing to be out of the picture, they turned the place over to the ministry that ran the thrift store, then headed for the hills.

In cleaning things out, we found the two weapons, and just called the local sheriff. They sent a deputy out, he ran the serial numbers and found nothing on them, so they were ours to keep and sell.

But you need to have LE at least run the numbers; as previously stated, if they were used in a crime and were being sought, and then found in your possession with no explanation, no amount of explaining would help at that point.
    troutkiller and marcclarke like this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Very carefully! Ba dum bum! Good answers already. Good luck.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    You will probably have to get law enforcement involved.

Imagine if you didn't, and they were linked to "something bad", and then found to be in your possession..................

Just sayin'.
    I would keep law enforcement out of it. You bought them when you bought the car.

If you are nervous about the guns, take them to a gunsmith for a once over, that way you'll be sure they are in good working order.
    Enjoy the guns!!
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

I own a ca r rental company and we have found all sorts of stuff in out vehicles. From drugs to guns. We has a LEO leave shild and gun undre the seat of the van. To two guns left by prior customer in the headliner of a van. The two guns were found on a random traffic stop .Customer had no idea they were up there. After sitting in jail for a few days they dropped the charges on my customer. One of the guns where used in a murder.

Def call LEO and let them run the numbers. I would hold onto the firearms if they are reported stolen and have the owner contact you. Owner may not want them any longer.
    You do not know, what you do not know, until you realize that you do not know it

One thing you know for certain: they're not yours.

One thing that's entirely possible: they might well have been used in a felony at some point, something you don't want to be accused of via mere possession.

Thus, calling the law enforcement in your community is the only way to go. Let them handle it. They'll indicate if it's a claimable item at some point, statutes allowing.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here but, since you own a salvage yard & have undoubtedly discovered questionable items before, what is unique about "a gun" that legally compels you to turn them in? A gun is not inherently evil nor is it any more likely to be connected to a crime than is a chainsaw or a crowbar. Are there Federal or North Carolina laws requiring a particular course-of-action? Is there any method by which a civilian can check a gun's serial number against the NCIC? After all, you have a clear claim of ownership for the vehicle. Doesn't the affirmative burden of proof therefore shift to the prosecution to connect you with any gun-related criminal activity? Seems to me your alibi is well-established unless there is, in fact, laws addressing these particular circumstances.
    If he doesn't make a police report, he really doesn't have much of an alibi. At a later date, I doubt if the police would take his word for it, when he said " hey I found em in a junk car, a year ago." Yes the police would still have to prove that he did something illegal, which can be a pain for the person being investigated.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links