unknown vest pocket .25

This is a discussion on unknown vest pocket .25 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ive found that the barrel, frame, and some of the other parts are all marked "468" but grips dont say anything....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: unknown vest pocket .25

ive found that the barrel, frame, and some of the other parts are all marked "468" but grips dont say anything.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    It looks nice. how does it shoot?

i havent shot it, but it feeds the ammo like butter. very smooth action for such an old gun.
    thanks, jeff

Maybe an old Baby Browning? Mine, years ago, didn't have the grip safty but appearently some do.
    baby browning pistol - Google Search

Googel image search for babby browning
    I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

yes it is very similar to the more popular .25 pocket pistols, but if it was a browning it would at least state somewhere on the gun what caliber it is.''

any other forums for pocket pistols that may be of more help?

Senior Moderator
    Check out Mouseguns.Com
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Another vote for an early 1900's Spanish manufacturer...

Looks very similar to a "Ruby" pistol I have in .32

Safety just in the wrong place; it was near the trigger on the Ruby's that I've seen.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

It really does look like an Astra, so I'm going to go with the theory that it's a knock-off made at the same plant. A few differences, but that can be chalked up to model year.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Check out Mouseguns.Com
    yes ive been to this site a lot, but there isnt any forums devoted to small pocket guns?

Sorry Jiffyl;

I got over-bumptious with my super-moderator powers and accidentally edited your post rather than to properly quote your post in order to reply.

We'll try this again.

The myriad small Spanish shops where so many automatic pistols were cranked out from World War I to about World War II shamelessly copied basic patented Browning patents with never a peseta paid for them.

I've never before heard that Astra maintained manufacturing facilities in Japan or elsewhere in Asia. Perhaps they did. They sure did sell gobs of pistols to the Chinese and some to the Japanese and other Asiatic nations.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

After looking at the gun, I firmly believe it's a Spanish (possibly a Astra or Star) copy of a Colt 1908. I think if the OP takes it to a gun show, and trys on a set of grips to one of the old Colts he' will find it's a good match. Astra made a could copies of the Colt Junior in 22 Short and 25 ACP. That's why I'm leaning toward the Astra Mfgr. (the grips have appeared to have been altered to remove the Colt banner on them.
    BTW, here's a link to some more info including a Pic of a FN 25 vest pocket pistol.
    Hope this helps shed some light on it's originne. I'd LOVE to heve that little gem ya got there!!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Mo...08_Vest_Pocket
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Sorry Jiffyl;

I got over-bumptious with my super-moderator powers and accidentally edited your post rather than to properly quote your post in order to reply.

We'll try this again.

The myriad small Spanish shops where so many automatic pistols were cranked out from World War I to about World War II shamelessly copied basic patented Browning patents with never a peseta paid for them.

I've never before heard that Astra maintained manufacturing facilities in Japan or elsewhere in Asia. Perhaps they did. They sure did sell gobs of pistols to the Chinese and some to the Japanese and other Asiatic nations.
    thanks for your input

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    After looking at the gun, I firmly believe it's a Spanish (possibly a Astra or Star) copy of a Colt 1908. I think if the OP takes it to a gun show, and trys on a set of grips to one of the old Colts he' will find it's a good match. Astra made a could copies of the Colt Junior in 22 Short and 25 ACP. That's why I'm leaning toward the Astra Mfgr. (the grips have appeared to have been altered to remove the Colt banner on them.
    BTW, here's a link to some more info including a Pic of a FN 25 vest pocket pistol.
    Hope this helps shed some light on it's originne. I'd LOVE to heve that little gem ya got there!!
    Colt Model 1908 Vest Pocket - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    i will try to take it to the next gun show that comes around. i have it listed for sale/trade on floridaguntrader.com (200$ or trade for a more modern .25) but yes i was noticing the alteration of the grips earlier, looks like they poked it a bunch of times with a tooth pic. ive taken it to a few local dealers. none of them seemed to know much more then i did. it is actually a great little gun though, it feeds the bullets really smooth. great for concealed carry cause there is no sharp corners or edges on the slide. all original parts, besides the grips.. the disassembly method is the same as other vest pocket .25's.*

Quote Originally Posted by jiffyl View Post

ive found that the barrel, frame, and some of the other parts are all marked "468" but grips dont say anything.

I had a hunch the other day but didn't take the time to peek in any Colt reference books to verify it. Take a look at this link and see if you think those grips could be modified Colt Model 1903 .32 ACP grips.

Colt Pistols and Revolvers for Firearms Collectors - Model 1903 .32 ACP & Model 1908 .380 ACP Pocket Hammerless Unusual Serial Numbers

gottabkiddin likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

The Asian markings look like they were added later. They look like they were made with an entirely different technique from the numbers.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links