No serial number?! - Page 2

No serial number?!

This is a discussion on No serial number?! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by OD* I have an M1911 that had it's serial number defaced, it was given a new serial by the ATF. I had ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: No serial number?!

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    I have an M1911 that had it's serial number defaced, it was given a new serial by the ATF.

I had a transmission on a motorcycle look like that (re-stamped number), they (police) made me scrap it saying it was stolen. I wish you better luck, it just wasn't worth the hassle to me that every time I get stopped and inspected they question the re-stamp

Administrator
    I'm pretty certain that if you have a firearm custom built you can also still have personalized serial number registered for it.

Like say if Bob Jones just paid big bucks to have firearm completely custom built from the ground up with a CNC fabricated receiver the maker could get BOBJONES30-30 registered with the ATF as his registered serial number.

What made me think of that is on American Guns they CNC machined a brand new Winchester 94 receiver out of a solid block Titanium for a customer.

I'm best guessing that if the original receiver had a factory serial number - they could re-stamp that serial number on the new receiver and then immediately destroy the original steel receiver.

Since there cannot be two firearms with the same identifying number.

Or if the original rifle was old enough that if (by chance) it had no factory serial number they would have to give it a new (registered w/ ATF) serial number and that could be a custom serial number.

And if the customer was John Smith the ATF could give him JS 30-30 or SMITH-94.

Just a best, common sense guess on my part.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    I had a transmission on a motorcycle look like that (re-stamped number), they (police) made me scrap it saying it was stolen. I wish you better luck, it just wasn't worth the hassle to me that every time I get stopped and inspected they question the re-stamp
    Mine's in the ATF's logs, it was given it's serial number in the BATFE office.
    Last edited by OD*; October 23rd, 2014 at 10:15 AM.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Senior Moderator
    I'm pretty certain that if you have a firearm custom built you can also still have personalized serial number registered for it
    You can, I do it often.

The manufacturer (me) must fill out a form 2 on any firearms manufactured. It gets sent to the ATF for approval and when it comes back, you put them on the gun.
    Lots of people use their names,birthdates,kids birthdates, any memorable occasion numbers or letters can be used as long as it hasnt been used before.

Some people have their inititals, with the date and then consecutive serial numbers for each gun built after that.

If using a Form One to make an SBR,SBS or silencer, you assigne what number you want to it on the Form and its yours once it gets approved. You must also stamp your name and address on the reciever.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links