AR magazine springs

This is a discussion on AR magazine springs within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I came across some of the metal GI magazines. I was thinking of replacing the followers and springs. They seem to feed well when I ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By archer51

Thread: AR magazine springs

AR magazine springs

I came across some of the metal GI magazines. I was thinking of replacing the followers and springs. They seem to feed well when I used them, but why not upgrade and know where they stand.

Going to be buying the magpul followers. As far a springs go I am not sure what to get.

CDNN has a 3 pack for a couple bucks. Also, found wolff springs for $4.75 a piece. Any good reason to buy the more expensive ones over the basic GI springs?

Not sure if one brand will really make much difference over the other. Would be glad to save a few bucks and be able to get a couple boxes of ammo.

If anyone has change them out and can shed some light on this it would be appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Since the most troublesome component of any semi auto is the magazine, I'd make sure I used the best parts available that I could afford. Wolff is one of the best spring makers out there, whether it be magazine springs or gun springs. I'd go with the Wolff.
    OD* and QKShooter like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    I came across some of the metal GI magazines. I was thinking of replacing the followers and springs. They seem to feed well when I used them, but why not upgrade and know where they stand.

Going to be buying the magpul followers. As far a springs go I am not sure what to get.

CDNN has a 3 pack for a couple bucks. Also, found wolff springs for $4.75 a piece. Any good reason to buy the more expensive ones over the basic GI springs?

Not sure if one brand will really make much difference over the other. Would be glad to save a few bucks and be able to get a couple boxes of ammo.

If anyone has change them out and can shed some light on this it would be appreciated.
    I've done that with about all my metal magazines (Magpul followers), and agree with Archer, Wolff is the way to go, well worth the money to me.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Magpul followers and Wolff springs are a great maintenance upgrade.

Just a caution about AR magazines - don't fall in love with them, they are ultimately "consumables." Collectively I've probably got less than 15K through my 2 ARs, including two pretty intensive trainings, and I've surrendered at least a half dozen mags to the scrap bin after they became unreliable. If a mag with a decent spring and follower starts giving you trouble, look at the back side of the mag at the top where the rim of the cartridge would sit. The common mode of failure is that the mag starts to spread open where the two halves join - and it's more noticeable with a full mag. When you see that happening, pull that mag out of service and clearly identify it (or can it) - you don't ever want to bet your life on it.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Links