Convincing Wife to Carry or...

This is a discussion on Convincing Wife to Carry or... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So ive been carrying a gun for 10 Years, shooting for 20. Lately I have been trying to convince my wife to purchase a gun ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Convincing Wife to Carry or...

Convincing Wife to Carry or...

So ive been carrying a gun for 10 Years, shooting for 20. Lately I have been trying to convince my wife to purchase a gun and/or take a handgun/self defense class. I really want her to do this because we live in alaska and she hikes alot and we have to deal with bears and other animals. She is adiment to not carry and consisting to not get a weapon. Even trying to lecture her on real world scenarious she just makes comments like people make about insurance. It cant happen to me. Help a

2. Remove Ads

People who don't want to carry, won't. The best you can do is express your love and concern and maybe one day she'll come around. Take it from a divorce'ee that nagging or trying forcing her to do it is absolutely the wrong way to go.

How many victims do you think, say well, ok, I'm going to be a victim today, what should I wear?
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Suggest that she consider reading the material created (posts, blogs, web site, YouTube videos) by the following two Defensive Carry members: Pax; and LimaTunes.

Each can help provide the woman's, mother's perspective on the reality of keeping the family safe in today's world.

The real world includes Alaska. She might not take your word for the fact that surviving violence isn't an "insurance" game. Perhaps she'll consider a glimpse into how common violence is, even in Alaska.

Last edited by ccw9mm; August 18th, 2012 at 08:40 AM. Reason: gramur, spelin'
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Big can of bear whoopass otherwise known as bear spray,will work on smaller critters too,Not too sure how much deterrent spray is if she surprises a sow with cubs,from what I hear the bear spray may not stop a sow protecting her young.
    As far as 2 legged animals it sounds like your wife likes living in denial,as long as she doesn't think about it then it won't happen...until it does,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Good luck, my wife and I got our permits together, she has a Walther PK380 that she really liked, shoots it real good. 2 years now and she has not carried it out of the house once other then two trips with me to the range where she shot a total of 50 rnds. Most women, (not all) don't think like we do about carrying and self defense, don't nag her, just lead her on a little here and there with suddle hints.
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

VIP Member
    You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. Express your fears to her, give her the facts on violence in your area. Remind her that animals will react violently when startled or feel their territory is threatened or their young are endangered. Once she's armed with the fact, it is up to her to decide what to do.
    Brad426 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Big can of bear whoopass otherwise known as bear spray,will work on smaller critters too,Not too sure how much deterrent spray is if she surprises a sow with cubs,from what I hear the bear spray may not stop a sow protecting her young.
    I'll second this. at least get her to take some spray.

+1

Think about some alternative weapons she could promise you to carry with her (e.g. bear spray, stun gun for two-legged animals). Other than that, maybe she will react to the facts that ccw9mm noted. However, you cannot force her to carry a deadly weapon!

I wasn't anti-gun before I got my permit, but for me it took two home invasions in our town with gruesome details of how the wives were raped while the husbands were tied up and had to listen to the whole thing. THAT'S when I decided I can't just always hope for the best and tell myself that it only happens to other people, people that live in a bad neighborhood or in the bigger cities.
    Sig P250 .45 Subcompact
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose,
    is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound. ~ L. Neil Smith

Thanks alot everyone. Appreciate the replies and help. I've some how got to get her past the state of kind of it hasn't happened yet type of deal. Ill see what I can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Moderator
    It's her decision. Ultimately. It's hard for some people to come to terms with because we want to protect those we love but her is an adult and capable of deciding what she does and does not want in her life. That includes a gun.

I know that's not the response you were looking for but the fact of the matter is that no one has the magic phrase or word or thing that is going to suddenly make the light come on for your wife and make her decide to carry.

I wrote a blog about this subject.. Limatunes' Range Diary: I Can't Help Your Wife

Not that I'm any kind of authority but I think there are some things to think about anyway.

Alot of the reasons I want her to carry she doesn't seem to get. Alot of the things she has to deal with would be bears, wolves when walking with my daughter, bull moose can even be a threat. And as sad as it is lately there has been what the police call mob beating. 3-4 kids are randomly just beating up someone. It's stupid but I dare them to try. Alaska's population would lose 3-4.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    It's her decision. Ultimately. It's hard for some people to come to terms with because we want to protect those we love but her is an adult and capable of deciding what she does and does not want in her life. That includes a gun.

I know that's not the response you were looking for but the fact of the matter is that no one has the magic phrase or word or thing that is going to suddenly make the light come on for your wife and make her decide to carry.

I wrote a blog about this subject.. Limatunes' Range Diary: I Can't Help Your Wife

Not that I'm any kind of authority but I think there are some things to think about anyway.
    Awesome blog thanks it was a good read

What he said....the bottom line is will she shoot someone if she has to or brandish it only long enough to get it taken away and used on her? Usually when they have children they look at things way different and may have the right mindset then to do what may need to be done. Until then Bear OC gas and a Taser is an option as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    People who don't want to carry, won't. The best you can do is express your love and concern and maybe one day she'll come around. Take it from a divorce'ee that nagging or trying forcing her to do it is absolutely the wrong way to go.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

As already posted there is no secret answer or method. I have however been successful with three different women concerning introductions to using a handgun.
    I simply set up a very non-competitive shooting using a 22 pistol. Somewhere out in the woods camping or fishing and just shooting at some cans. "Hey lets go plink some cans, it's a lot of fun!" This way they could shoot without feeling they were being 'watched' or judged. The 22 didn't give them a kick to scare them into thinking they couldn't handle a firearm. I made sure to have hearing protection so they didn't have a really loud bang.
    The goal was to create a first time experience that was fun, non-competitive and non-frightening. I never talked to them about carrying or doing anything other than what we were doing at that time which was shooting cans. The reaction in all three cases was the same.

"Oh wow, that was a lot easier than I thought it was gonna be."

"Well, that was not so bad."

"Show me how to load that thing will ya?"

All three women now carry. But they came to that decision all on their own. And it was curiosty that led them to ask if I would show them how to shoot a larger caliber.

Good luck in your effort.
    Duke25 likes this.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links