Dreadful mistake ! Never happened to me before !

This is a discussion on Dreadful mistake ! Never happened to me before ! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yes it was a dumb mistake & yes you felt lke crap but that's why the number one rule of firearms safety is to treat ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Dreadful mistake ! Never happened to me before !

Yes it was a dumb mistake & yes you felt lke crap but that's why the number one rule of firearms safety is to treat every weapon as if it was loaded because it might be. I agree with NC Bullseye, sounds like you got a refresher course in firearms safety. Glad you & yours are ok buddy.

2. Remove Ads

GH
    No harm, no foul. This time. This will undoubtedly make you into a safer more resonsible gun owner.
    Paymeister likes this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I had a ND at the range last week, it rocked me to the core. After letting a friend at the range shoot my Glock. He left the lane with a loaded mag in his hand. I assumed it was my glock mag, it wasn't. When I pulled the trigger the gun was pointed down range as it should but I did not expect it to fire. Really upset me!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

I'd rather read about it here than in the news.

Lesson refreshed.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I keep all my mags loaded. So I treat them like my guns. Always assume the gun/mags are loaded.

Don't be so hard on your self. Learn from it. I had a ND years ago in my early 20's and shot my ceiling...scared the crap out of me. Never again would that happen. And it will be the same for you.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

It's easy to make a mistake. Been there and done that. Learned my lesson too! Best part is, you shared and others can hopefully learn by it.

Take the whole family out and celebrate!
    Question Everything!

TomEgun, thanks for swallowing your pride and posting this. As others have said, you very well may have prevented a horrible accident by reminding us to be careful always.

We can never have too many refresher courses in safety.
    kb2wji likes this.

Not a good thing to happen, still, the rules of firearm safety help to keep this kind of situation from developing into something worse, provided that they are followed.

1. Assume that all guns are loaded. (Even though you thought the gun was unloaded, treat it as if it were regardless)

2. Do not point the gun at anything you don't want to shoot. (Even though the gun was loaded, danger is minimized if it is never pointed at a person)

3. Do not put your finger on the trigger unless ready to shoot (Even though the gun was loaded, if no one touches the trigger, it will not fire)

4. Know your target and your backstop (Following on from rule 2, even if you think the gun is empty, you still do not point it in a direction where persons could be injured downrange)

In total, the rules of safe handling help to insure that a ND does not happen, and if it does, no one will be injured. The point here is that following these rules gives you an extra margin of safety. The failure point does not have to be simply that you incorrectly thought the gun was unloaded. That was one point of failure, but you have to break all 4 rules before anyone gets hurt.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Rules to live by !! Its the day after and my heart rate has come down and I have re-evaluated my situation and after many years in Maintenance and Aviation have decided to crunch my problem and came up with a written check list a after action list for the range to keep in my range bag to be completed before I head home and another in my gun room that I adhere to before storage, On my mag drawer hung one that says check for ammo and I promised myself I wont go shooting on a day where I am pressed for time.
    shockwave likes this.
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

You got in a habit and like all things some habits can be bad,I think you need to develope a new habit and visually inspect magazines before inserting.When I was a SP in the USAF we checked out weapons every day the same way,one night the Sgt in charge of the clearing barrel was BS ing with another guy and failed to physically inspect the mag well on the next guys M16,the SP had failed to remove a loaded magazine and on command locked the bolt to the rear,then on command released the bolt and pulled the trigger to drop the hammer on what should have been an empty chamber,after a loud report it got realllllllly quiet then the F bombs started flying
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

To the OP, thanks for sharing your experience. For me it enforces the importance of firearms safety much deeper in my mind.

Kevin

At least you get to learn from your own mistake. Could have gone ugly, and only OTHER people would learn from it Good safety reminder, glad there wasnt an ND

It shook me to my core seeing that round come out and the fact is I knew better !! I just got complaisant . I have already taken measures today to learn from my mistake and drilling myself on it , I just hope that others can learn from my mistake and stay sharp .
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

I've got a passle of guns to clean today after yesterday's range trip. You can bet I'll be extra vigilant about checking them before I start. Thanks for the reminder that we can all get distracted.

Years ago, I used to chamber and unchamber when I got home, etc. One day, I got distracted and ejected the chambered round before dropping the mag. Then I stood there and thought for a minute and then ejected the second round from the chamber after dropping the mag. I got distracted, but something told me that I had done something not in the proper order. Now, with all of my handguns, I leave them loaded and chambered with full mags all the time. In the safe in their boxes. I treat them all as if they are all loaded all of the time because they are. I figure the less I am manipulating them, the less chances for a mess up.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Thank God for an observant person watching what you did before it became more serious. Learn from the experience & all is well.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links