Dreadful mistake ! Never happened to me before !

This is a discussion on Dreadful mistake ! Never happened to me before ! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi All I made a critical mistake yesterday that could have ended badly if it wasn't for my Son-in-law who is a former Marine with ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Dreadful mistake ! Never happened to me before !

Dreadful mistake ! Never happened to me before !

Hi All
    I made a critical mistake yesterday that could have ended badly if it wasn't for my Son-in-law who is a former Marine with a good eye who caught my mistake.
    Thank God but I still feel horrible in all my years Ive been shooting since the 6th grade and years in military and civilian world and I'm O.C.D. about gun safety .
    Yesterday at the range by myself I was sighting in my new C93 and each time I make a sight adj I pull the mag and clear the rifle for safety but after the last adjustment I got to talking with a fellow shooter and then decided it was time to head home.
    I let myself get distracted and cleared the bench. I threw all my mags in the range bag and when I got home because I had to work on my daughters car I hurriedly put everything away.
    I checked all my rifles to make sure they were clear and put them into my safe to a drawer in a shelving system I have just for my gun stuff.
    But I tossed all the mags in without checking them because I was in such a hurry to get things done.
    Well my daughter and son in law came by today for a cookout (and we being both former military) were talking guns.
    So he wanted to see the new rifle.
    I took him up to the gun room with my 15 yr old son.
    I took the rifle from the safe cleared it and handed it to him and began explaining functions and the differences between the HK and my AR platform which he is used to.
    I started explaining the differences in the mags and with the HK you have to put it in with a little tilt similar to an AK.
    I reached in the drawer pulled a mag and didn't think twice because I always clear the mags before putting them away.
    He watched me carefully as I inserted the mag and slammed the bolt home and immediately he sounded off.
    "Did you mean to chamber a round?"
    I was dumb founded & said I didn't and he swore..."Yes you did"
    So I pulled the mag and sure enough there was one round in it.
    So them I immediately pulled the charging handle and it ejected a round and my heart stopped.
    In all my years I've never made this mistake and thank God once again my son in law caught it.
    It could have ended tragically for me but it really made me stop and rethink everything.
    My son in law tried to play it off as no big deal but for me it was huge.
    I never took the time at the range or when I got home to make sure my mag was clear.
    I'm sorry this is so long but I hope others can learn from my mistake.
    Its hard for me to swallow and I didn't want to post it for pride reasons but I need this seared in my brain!!
    Sorry guys.
    Kiowa and baren like this.
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

2. Remove Ads

Uh-oh, you're human. Glad it wasn't an ugly outcome and your son (or son-in-law... I couldn't follow that part) was paying attention. Thanks for sharing so we can learn from your mistake.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

close call
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Close call. We ALL learn from our mistakes.

You might want to take him out for a nice dinner. It will make you feel better.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Yea it hit me so hard out of left field I didn't even know what to say when I saw the round in the mag ! And I usually account for every round and box those not used but I just had a brain Lock to clean up from military lingo thanks .

good thing all turned out well.. good thing there was 2 experienced people around the gun and noticed it. It is shocking to see stuff like that but just thank God he seen it

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    While this could have been a costly mistake it wasn't, learn from it. Now take your son-in-law to his favorite eatery and get him the biggest and best steak they have, he earned it.

Glad it ended well and it just shows that you like we are human. Bet you don't do it again, so it was a good learning epxerience, stay safe. Understand your frustration but you may want to edit your last post. Not supposed to use symbols in place of expletives, although rereading it, I assue you meant fart and not sure if that's considered an expletive.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

An honest mistake. You took that mistake, swallowed your pride, shared it and may have made a person or two double check their guns from a range trip today, possibly saving a life tomorrow. Thank you.

There are two kinds of people. Those who make mistakes, and those who lie and claim they don't. Glad you are the former and not the latter! Thanks for posting. It just might save someone else from making the same mistake.
    Remy likes this.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

that's why we check the chamber before pulling the trigger for testing right? because we make similar mistakes, and can accidently load a round. so we check and check and check
    RMERMCPA likes this.

Roger Taseal I cleared the weapon and checked the chamber before I handed it to my son in law he handed it back to me I checked again my mistake was reaching in the mag draw and drawing a mag without a second thought to check the mag because under normal circumstances I always clear the mags before putting them away . Lucky he was watching the mag closely as I was demonstrating the loading procedure . There are no excuses on my part I failed , I keep my weapons , mags and ammo all separate and I became over confident .

Sounds like you took a serious refresher course in firearm safety. Deep breath and know that you'll have that one committed to memory for a long time.

Glad you could be here relating it to your friends instead of us wondering where ya got off to.
    TomEgun and Paymeister like this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member
    Thank God you had another set of eyes watching. I know it sucks posting this but having only really been around and into guns for a year or so, its really good for me reading this. It makes me REALLY strive to be DILLIGENT about safety. Stories like this remind me I HAVE TO STAY ON GAURD.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Whoops!!!! And we all have had whoops in our lives and unfortunately more to come..........
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links