Mossberg AR 15

This is a discussion on Mossberg AR 15 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was looking at the Mossberg AR 15 today and wondering if any of you have had experience with same. It looks pretty good to ...

Thread: Mossberg AR 15

Mossberg AR 15

I was looking at the Mossberg AR 15 today and wondering if any of you have had experience with same.

It looks pretty good to me, but I'm no expert...I'm more of a pistolaro.

Priced at $750 with iron sights (detachable).

Input, please.

2. Remove Ads

I saw one a couple weekends ago. Nothing stood out to me or made an impression. They did have an interesting pistol grip on it but that's about all I can recall that made it unique.
    Conservative, Gun-Toting, Backwoods, College Educated, Hetrosexual, Male
    Any Questions?

Found this on another site......

Luv2Huntwrote on April 02nd, 2012 at 9:18 am Link To Comment | Reply To Comment

People can say what they want to speculate, but I bought a Hunter Model Mossberg MMR 556 yesterday because it seemed at least standard quality and was the cheapest to buy at the gun show.. I have owned some of the best named ones out there in the past paying over 160% more than I did the Mossberg. NONE of the big names would reliably load soft point hunting rounds, even though they were supposedly produced to hunt varmints with. After the initial wipe down and reoiling of all moving parts i tried to make my new Mossberg jam, stovepipe, or double feed and was not successful. Shooting a mix of every kind of .223 and 556 imaginable. Ball, soft points, hollow points, ballistic tips, frangible, and every one was found as “live” ammo left on the range for who-knows-how-long. Some cases were dented in from being loaded and ejected, some were dark brown from being weather beaten, one of the frangibles was broken with a flat tip, and every single one of them chambered and fired without a single problem. So as far as I am concerned I have the best made hunting sporting rifle made. You can have the big name expensive ones that look good but can’t shoot.

Hope that he's right, 'cause I bought the tactical model!

We'll be expecting a range report... and don't forget the pictures! :)
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

The AR, even more so than a 1911, is a universal design with (almost) completely interchangeable components. The range from "best" to "worst" is relatively narrow. Mossberg is a successful, well-respected gun manufacturer with a reputation that rides on every product. I've never heard of a shoddy 590 & the 930 SP is getting rave reviews. There's no reason why their new AR shouldn't be a GREAT value. I'll be anxious to hear your trigger-tempered opinion!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

O.K., Back from the range.

A friend of mine let me use his "100 Yard Range" today. It was 150 yards long if it was a foot! I paced 160.

My first three shots did not even touch the paper. Dang long walk to find that out! LOL

I then closed in to 25 yards and was shooting high and left. I adjusted and brought the shots closer to the bull, but still no 10!

I adjusted once more and then made two mistakes. I backed off to about 50 yards and changed ammunition to a more reliable brand. The combination of the two moves put me off once more. Again, high and left...but a more acceptable pattern.

After adjusting to my new situations. I finally achieved a 3 inch group of five rounds from 50 yards using my motorcycle seat as a bench rest. Iron sights, by the way. I was kneeling beside it. Still need to come right a little, but I did manage to land one round in the bull. LOL

At this point in time, a storm was heading my way so I packed it in. Living to fight another day.

My Mossberg does NOT like Wolf Ammunition at all. FTF after every shot. Of course, this brand new out of the box and needs to be loosened up some. That may be the problem. With the better stuff there was no failures what-so-ever. Can't tell you the brand. Just loose rounds that a friend had given me years ago in a ziplock pouch.

No pictures, Whoppo, but you can look on line....nothing special about this one.....YET! :-)

Mossberg AR-15........interesting. I can't help but wonder if there's a Savage AR-15. LOL! Ford Nova? Chevy Titan? Oldsmobile Escalade? Isuzu Towncar?
    Well, everybody is making everything these days. I kinda live in the old days. Not to say that something new won't be worth it......but I've seen new tech in firearms and cheaper than dirt prices on the hardware. It is what it is I reckon. Simple economics, keeping jobs, creating new jobs here in the US of A. The almighty dollar won't go as far as it used to, and quality is in the eye of the beholder usually thinking they got a good deal. Hey...as long as it shoots...it's good.....that's the mission right?
    Anyway.......good of you to post range report and review. This will likely help others make future decisions.

VIP Member
    I've too been wondering about these rifles since I like their shotguns.
    Mossberg & Sons | 65014

I'd also like to get one of their 715 ARs in .22 for my boy so he can have a rifle "like daddy's" (like he says lol)

saw one at Academy
    http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st..._-1?N=39632024
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Links