Range/Store employees gun handling, fail

This is a discussion on Range/Store employees gun handling, fail within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; While in the store section of the range yesterday looking at guns with my buddy, I noticed the store employees not following safe gun handling ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Range/Store employees gun handling, fail

While in the store section of the range yesterday looking at guns with my buddy, I noticed the store employees not following safe gun handling practices. Muzzle control seemed to be the biggest issue, and not just with one but with most of them. And the store was packed with people too. I kept trying to move out of the way in an intentional manner as to offer a hint, and was informing my friend when he was looking about muzzle control, etc. but the hint didn't catch on.

The guns in all of the cases are laying on their side with the muzzles pointing out towards the customers. The case beside us was the rental gun case and I noticed a 1911 sitting in there cocked and the safety off. I notified the store employee helping us and he opened the cabinet, reached in, and pulled the trigger. UHHHGGGGG!!!! Needless to say, I was not standing in front of it when he did this. Luckily, nothing happened, but knowing this is a rental gun that had live ammo in it at some point before going back into the case and had a mag in the well, I was in total shock. I want to say something, but this is the only range anywhere remotely around and is less than 10 minutes from my house. I don't want to peeve these guys off because I buy guns, ammo, gear, range time, etc.

If it were just one person, I'd say something. But I've seen it with several of them. Any thoughts?
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

You could call and ask to speak to the owner as an anonymous concerned patron. Express your love for the joint and that you would hate for a mishap to screw up a great thing.

As long as your voice isn't extremely unique you can stay anonymous and I would hope that as long as you are sincere and make it clear it is with their interest at heart you should be good.

Good luck.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    You could call and ask to speak to the owner as an anonymous concerned patron. Express your love for the joint and that you would hate for a mishap to screw up a great thing.

As long as your voice isn't extremely unique you can stay anonymous and I would hope that as long as you are sincere and make it clear it is with their interest at heart you should be good.

Good luck.
    +1.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Find the manager/owner and talk to them. Don't be irate, don't be overbearing and angry. Just tell them that you've seen very unsafe gun handling practices by employees and that you wanted to bring it to their attention before an accident happens to put a customer in the hospital. Or casket. (maybe don't word it quite like that, but... you get the idea)

I think any reasonable business person (especially the person financially and morally responsible) will pay attention and take you seriously. Especially if you can give examples- without pulling out a list and going down all the points. Just be honest and reasonable. Oh, and don't make any threats- '...[something, something, expletive expletive, something something -or I won't be shopping here anymore in the future!!"

Of course, that's just my opinion.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

There's a large store near my home that displays all their pistols upright with the butt of the handle on the shelf and the barrel pointing though the glass at the customer. They're stacked so close together you can't readly tell one from another. The staff seems totally uninterested in showing you their wares so I've never had them pull the trigger when showing me a gun. I can only assume the owner condones the display and demeanor of his employees - he hired them. Needless to say I don't fund this enterprise.

Some people just dont get it. Some of the big chain stores keep trigger locks on the gun and wont even let you dry fire one before you buy. Guess thats how they have solved the problem. Well they just lost a customer, because Im damn sure not going to buy a gun without checking it out thoroughly first.
    rammerjammer and 45ACP4ever like this.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    You should PM me the store name so that I know to avoid it.

Bugdude, have you noticed how much more expensive guns stores are here in Florida? I don't know how Virginia was but back in TN the prices were significantly cheaper than there are here.

Brand new Glocks here cost $599. Back in Knoxville you could find them for $489. I've yet to find a store here I like.

I've noticed the prices are a bit higher here than in Virginia. I had a local Pawn Shop in VA that I did a lot of business with and he gave me great prices. I sure miss that place!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post

Good luck.
    do it from a pay phone or work (caller ID)
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

VIP Member
    I would say that it's best to just drive on. Bad muzzle control is common at probably 95% of gun stores. It's just how it is.

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

I rented a EMP (first time I ever rented a gun) and it kept double feeding. I told the guy behind the counter and he goes "You mean stove piping?" "No" I said "Double feeding, with the round in the chamber not ejecting and the next trying to feed." He goes "Yeah, stove piping." I just gave up. I also heard the guy telling a customer that he can't wait to leave and how it is time to go home etc. Needless to say, I believe that will be the last time I rent there. Some people could care less. I'd rather go somewhere they do care.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

VIP Member
    I was originally reading this thread last night when I was distracted by family duties. However, these two sentences stuck with me:

"The case beside us was the rental gun case and I noticed a 1911 sitting in there cocked and the safety off. I notified the store employee helping us and he opened the cabinet, reached in, and pulled the trigger. "

That's a level of stupid that I just can't tolerate. That employee is going to ND in short order - it's just a matter of when and whether it hits anyone or not. No convenience of range, guns, ammo or other goodies is worth risking my life over. I'd speak to both the employee and the owner. Their reaction would determine if I ever set foot in there again.
    ccw9mm likes this.

If an employee had reached in and pulled the trigger on a gun without first making sure the chamber was empty I would have yelled at him,"DID YOU JUST DROP THE HAMMER ON A GUN THAT YOU DIDN"T CHECK THE CHAMBER ON" Thats a good way to get somebody shot or killed,I need your bosses number since that is the most irresponsible gun handling I have ever seen.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    While in the store section of the range yesterday looking at guns with my buddy, I noticed the store employees not following safe gun handling practices. Muzzle control seemed to be the biggest issue, and not just with one but with most of them. And the store was packed with people too. I kept trying to move out of the way in an intentional manner as to offer a hint, and was informing my friend when he was looking about muzzle control, etc. but the hint didn't catch on.

The guns in all of the cases are laying on their side with the muzzles pointing out towards the customers. The case beside us was the rental gun case and I noticed a 1911 sitting in there cocked and the safety off. I notified the store employee helping us and he opened the cabinet, reached in, and pulled the trigger. UHHHGGGGG!!!! Needless to say, I was not standing in front of it when he did this. Luckily, nothing happened, but knowing this is a rental gun that had live ammo in it at some point before going back into the case and had a mag in the well, I was in total shock. I want to say something, but this is the only range anywhere remotely around and is less than 10 minutes from my house. I don't want to peeve these guys off because I buy guns, ammo, gear, range time, etc.

If it were just one person, I'd say something. But I've seen it with several of them. Any thoughts?
    Give me the contact information, I'll send the e-mail myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links