How Do I Improve Recoil Management?

This is a discussion on How Do I Improve Recoil Management? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I own an XDm 3.8" 9mm and I absolutely love it. I shoot very accurately with it, but I'd like to increase the speed of ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: How Do I Improve Recoil Management?

How Do I Improve Recoil Management?

I own an XDm 3.8" 9mm and I absolutely love it. I shoot very accurately with it, but I'd like to increase the speed of my follow-up shots. How can I improve my recoil management so that I am back on target more quickly? Is it primarily an increase in grip strength that will make the difference?

2. Remove Ads

Grip strength will help.

What kind of stance are you using? Are you talking about one handed shooting, or two handed?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

If you find yourself struggling with 9MM recoil management, go back to basics and start with where your strong hand grip position is. Put the strong hand as high in the grip as you can and then move your hand even higher. You want the barrel axis as much in line with your forearm as possible. Insure you have a good push pull triangle with your arms. Also practice with lighter loads. You may be shooting ammo that is a bit hot. Lastly, practice, practice, practice.

Assuming a 2-handed stance, you can gain a lot of stability from your support hand, depending on how you use it.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

A lot if it also comes down to familiarity. When I first started shooting years ago, I was afraid of recoil and remember shooting my 45 for the first time and thinking, "what have I gotten myself into?"

Now I crave and appreciate a stout recoil and have learned to manage it much better. My 45 feels like a tame pussycat now.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Assuming you have a proper strong hand grip (just strong hand) you probably need to work on your support hand position.

Might be tough to explain, but here goes...

When you have your strong hand in the proper grip position, your support hand comes into play. Hold the gun in your strong hand like you are about to shoot it. Now take your support hand and put it out in front of you (as if you are extending your hand to shake someones hand). Now "rotate" or "roll" your support hand forward (as if tumbling your wrist over top of your fingers). This is how you want your support hand on the gun. It will feel awkward at first, almost like you are straining your support hand's wrist. Get a good wrap of that support hand (in that rolled forward position) over your gun. It might feel strange, but you will quickly get used to it. It also puts more purchase on the gun, helping you with follow up shots. Get a good comfortable grip in this manner, and with an XD 9mm, you should be able to rapid fire your rounds in a pretty tight group. At minimum, you'll get a set of double-taps dead nuts on target before having to make those little grip adjustments.

I hope this helps. If you cant picture what I stated, let me know and i'll try to send you a couple pictures.

try these when you are sitting around at night, they will improve your grip

untitled.png

Quote Originally Posted by SoccerKyCoach View Post
    I own an XDm 3.8" 9mm and I absolutely love it. I shoot very accurately with it, but I'd like to increase the speed of my follow-up shots. How can I improve my recoil management so that I am back on target more quickly? Is it primarily an increase in grip strength that will make the difference?
    That and practice, there is no shortcut for practice, so practice more and you will get better. Also practice will strengthen your grip.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Thumbs forward grip, with as much of your support palm as you can get on your pistol grip, and 147 grain loads.

I no chit “feel” a big difference in the recoil impulse between hot +P 124s and 147 grain standard loadings. For me at least the 147s make a difference on how fast I can make follow-up shots and double taps.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Links