Glock 17 ejection problem

This is a discussion on Glock 17 ejection problem within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a gen 1 Glock 17. It is not ejecting spent shells to the side. It is throwing them right back toward the shooter. ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By hayzor
  • 2 Post By NC Bullseye

Thread: Glock 17 ejection problem

I have a gen 1 Glock 17. It is not ejecting spent shells to the side. It is throwing them right back toward the shooter. This first started happening while preparing my wife for CCP class. After reading some on line, it seemed most times this was operator error in not having a firm grip. I fired a full magazine through while really taking notice of grip. I had the same issue. Any thoughts on what it could be? Any and all help is appreciated.

Try a new recoil spring assembly. If it is a Gen I, do you know when (if ever) it was changed last?

Wear a hat. Seems quite a few Glocks end up with brass coming back with some folks.

Not meant to be a smart reply, but I see it quite often. Mine does with some ammo more than others.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    Try a new recoil spring assembly. If it is a Gen I, do you know when (if ever) it was changed last?
    I have owned it for a few years and have never done anything to it. I will try this. Any suggestions on where to by parts?

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Wear a hat. Seems quite a few Glocks end up with brass coming back with some folks.

Not meant to be a smart reply, but I see it quite often. Mine does with some ammo more than others.
    A hat wouldn't have helped my wife. It tossed a spent round down her shirt. She got a nasty burn from it. ...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowpt View Post
    A hat wouldn't have helped my wife. It tossed a spent round down her shirt. She got a nasty burn from it. ...
    tell her to wear it like a badge of honor........my wife has a half-moon looking burn scar right in the middle of....uhh, well my G30 threw one down the front of her shirt
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Cleavage at the gun range can be dangerous. Keep the ladies covered good.
    bigmacque likes this.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Gotta watch out for that brass! For springs, take a look at glockparts.com. I've been impressed by their service.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

IMO..... the recoil spring might be the easy fix. I'm also wondering about the extractor and ejector since it's a first gen pistol. I won't get into upgrades that could have been done through the factory or by a certified armorer.
    Where to buy parts? Well.......plenty of places. topgunsupply, glockmiester, EBay, ecopsupply, etc. Only parts I can get through Glock cheaper are the ones nobody else stocks or can get. Find your local Glock armorer and have them give it a look.....upgrade the necessary parts and get it running again like it used to. Call Glock to find your local armorer (1-770-432-1202). I wish we were neighbors. I've probably got a G17 recoil assembly in my box to trade for a cold one. Let me know if you need any further assistance.

This is why topless shooting should be more common. No shirt to trap the brass.
    Lowpt and bigmacque like this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    I had almost the same problem with a new gen. 3 Glock 17 without even having a 100 rounds shot through it. I took it back to the dealer where I bought it and he never had that problem with a Glock. He loaded it and tried to eject the rounds and the gun messed up on him too but couldn't find a problem with visual examin. When taking it apart and under magification he discover a very small chip in the extractor. He replaced it and I never had another problem. The dealer said this was his first.

Links