I'm new and needs some advise

This is a discussion on I'm new and needs some advise within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey I'm Jerry I'm 22 years old. I want to get my cwp soon but I don't have a gun. I've been looking around and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm new and needs some advise

I'm new and needs some advise

Hey I'm Jerry I'm 22 years old. I want to get my cwp soon but I don't have a gun. I've been looking around and I have shot a sig .40. But it's a lil out of my price range right now so I have my eye on the ruger sr9c. Can I get some feed back on if this is a good and trustworthy gun to own and carry. Thanks for any info

2. Remove Ads

I have almost 3000 flawless rounds through mine.

But, buy a gun that fits your hands/needs best. That is the best advice for when buying a handgun.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I have been to the gun shop and held it. It felt great I actually liked it better then the sig. What about carrying it is it good for that?

Never shot one myself, but I hear great things. Although, some do not care for the manual safety on a carry gun. More of a personal preference imo. In the end, good price for a good shooter. The only thing I didn't like about it when I handled one was how shiny the stainless model is. As an everyday carry, I'd go with the all black. The other is way too flashy for me. Unless its a revolver or a 1911.:)

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

Okay what other brands are good in around that price range and in a 9mm

If you like the Ruger sr9c, great, I have heard good things and Ruger is a reputable company with a good track record. However, the most important thing is how it feels in your hand. If it is comfortable and fits well, go from there.

Next question, what is your body type, dress style, and will you be able to successfully conceal it on a daily basis? If you can't effectively conceal the weapon, you will either end up not carrying it (mistake), or people will notice you are carrying (mistake).

Price shouldn't factor too heavily on your decision. If a gun is too expensive, wait a while to buy it instead of settling on something cheaper and less effective for you. Besides, what kind of price can you put on your life?

It's like the guys I see riding around on motorcycles wearing Bell helmets bought from Wally World for less than $100... they must value their wallet more than their life.

Reliable, comfortable, concealable, THEN price.
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

Check out the Walther PPS, Smith & Wesson M&P Shield, Ruger LC9, Kahr PM9, Kel Tec PF9, and Bersa Thunder UC Pro 9. Just a few suggestions, there are many more. Search google!
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

There are lots of choices in that price range. Others have said it, go to an LGS you trust and get your hands on a few. What feels best? Reliable? Then consider price.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

i love my walther pps 40. DID NOT like the ruger lc9. so many factors when choosing on a handgun for cc. my kimber 45 i LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but to heavy for shorts. and to bulky for just jeans and a t shirt. and harder to hide (imo). dont think about price (to a point). just because its inexpensive doesnt mean you will like it (or expensive its good). pay a little more, and get something that fits you. dont settle on something just because of the cost. my j handle is great because its small and easily concealable. hold (and shoot if possible) MANY before you buy.

I have heard great things about that gun. I have a few Rugers and all are good guns. Haven't had to use it but I also hear they have good customer service. The smith and Wesson m&p shield or m&p are good as well in a 9mm. I am not sure how prices compare so I apologize if they do not. Glock will have many useful options as well, but again unsure of comparable prices. Only thing more valuable than holding it to get the feel is being able to shoot it. Many ranges rent guns and you may be able to try the platform before buying one. Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Good luck, stay safe and welcome from So Cal!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Thanks for all the help guys. It's nice to see people out there that will still help out the new guy. Ive been on other forums where unless you have 9000 post they didn't want to talk to you. So again thanks and I will take everything y'all said and put it to good use when I go buy whatever I get.

Distinguished Member
    I was in your shoes a around a year ago or so. Listen to someone who was just there, don't go looking for a gun to carry based on how much money you have to spend on it "right now".

You will be amazed how much what you choose to carry will change once you start carrying. And I really didn't start to figure out what I wanted in a carry gun, until I started carry a gun. I'm on my 3rd gun I bought to carry and I just ordered my next.

I like my M&Pc but have recently decided I don't really like the compact uncomfortable grip. I am more than willing to sacrafice a little conceability for a full size grip.

Just take your time. Try out everything. Go to the range, rent guns, then while shooting those guns, go talk to the other people shooting and ask to shoot their guns. People who shoot guns are usually really cool about that. Especially when you tell them your just learning and such. I got to try out a good few that way, and meet some cool people.

And I have learned that buying cheaper guns usually bites you. (not talking about the ruger, I think its prob a great gun, I'm refering to the sigma and taurus tcp I had) Just saying don't buy guns based on price, the more expensive ones usually cost more for a reason.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Don't forget to check out a Glock 19. The Glock 19 is about as good as a carry gun that you can get for less than $500
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

VIP Member
    Not sure of the availability in your area, but also take a look at the CZ75 P-01.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Before you make your final decision go to a range that rents guns or find a friend that has several different guns for you to try out. The more you try the better your decision will be. Don't overlook high quality revolvers as they can be less expensive than semi-auto pistols.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links