First Gun

First Gun

This is a discussion on First Gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, the stork brought me a daughter last weekend, and today I was considering what pistol will be her first one as a present from ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By zonker1986
  • 1 Post By RAC55

Thread: First Gun

First Gun

So, the stork brought me a daughter last weekend, and today I was considering what pistol will be her first one as a present from me. A Mosquito? Mark III (or V by the time she's old enough)? Maybe the latest gen 9mm Glock?
    Thinking about that got me thinking about my first gun. My grandfather gave me a single shot .410 when I was seven. I remember taking it out into our back field about a year later and shooting it for the first time. Thing kicked like a mule, but, I was forever hooked. My next was a litany of .22LR rifles with the 1890 being my favorite (still have it) when I was about 12. A gift from my other grandfather.

Sound off-- what was your first gun and how old?

A <search> for threads with "children" in the title brings up several prior discussions.

Such as: Children & Shooting, in which the Cricket .22 rifle is recommended by several folks for young'uns.

Cricket Rifles.

Congrats on the newbie!
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I've seen the Crickets before at a gunshow or three. Seem pretty good for a beginner and a lot less of an investment than something like a 22/10.
    Odds are she'll get one of my handmedowns after some training and a class or two to learn to respect the rifle or pistol. I've actually got an old single shot breach load 22LR that was my great grandmother's. No name on it, just a barrel, rear and front sight posts and the stock. Truly the most no-frills rifle ever made.
    I'm more interested in what people got themselves for reminiscing, not recommendations. Nothing like remembering what bug bit you hard enough that you'd even look for a sight like this!
    Thanks for the well wishes on the daughter. Can't wait to show her first boyfriend my collection of bang sticks.

NMB
    The Cricket really is a great choice. Safe, easy to use. Nothing is easier to learn fundamentals on than a bolt action. (not to mention if she doesnt like it you arent out a ton of cash)

Crickett Firearms - My First Rifle - Youth Model 22 Rifles - Proudly Made In The USA
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

I personally think your money will be better spent on diapers and formula, but that comes from raising 4. You're a long way from worrying about a gun for your kid.
    phreddy and Rock and Glock like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Cricket .22. Start her out on rifles, then work into a pistol.

The first gun that was actually given to me was a single shot 22-250. My first hunting rifle. Took many a deer with that gun. Regrettably, I sold it a couple years back due to a mechanical failure that scared the crap out of me and put a hole in my truck door. I loved the gun, but I knew that if I kept it around, sooner or later someone was going to try to use it.

I bought my first gun: Remington 870 Wingmaster. Sometime after I was 18. My Grandfather took me to shoot much eariler than that maybe 12 or so I'd guess. I used his double barreled 12 gauge whenever I wanted to go small game hunting prior to my purchase. Grats on the young'n

Thanks everyone.
    22-250. That's some serious speed for a young gun!

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    My first was a S&W 28, blue, 4 inch that I bought as an adult at about 24 yrs old (1984-85). Dad didn't take my brother and I out shooting very much. Brother got his training in the Army, I got mine at the LGS and range. Recently picked up a Savage model 5 22LR. Bolt action with a tubular magazine. Old school manuf barrel doesn't look like it would shoot straight but it does so very well. Now that's nostalgia.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Since my folks were old school Europeans and didn't like guns, I had to buy my first gun on the sly which was an old, beat up Iver Johnson M1 carbine. It wasn't pretty, but it shot like a bandit...I still have it in my gun cabinet....
    JoJoGunn likes this.

The first gun I shot was a .22LR Army Training rifle when I was about 13 in the Boy Scouts. I think it was a Remington and they were heavy. They weighed about 18 pounds. In my mid-twenties I tried to buy a Beretta .380 because I didn't think I needed the more powerful 9mm and living in NYC, it just wasn't happening. Fast forward to October 2007. I moved to Fort Worth, TX about 14 months prior and wanted to buy a gun so I ended up with a Beretta Px4 Storm in 9mm and I have to say, it is the most accurate gun I have ever shot and I shot a lot of them. I can drive nails with that baby. At seven yards, I can keep two magazines full (34) rounds in a 3" group, most of which are going where there are already holes. I can't do that with Glocks, M&Ps, XDs or any other 9mm for that matter. I love my Beretta and I will put my life on it.
    It is to be observed that Right of Self-Defence, arises directly and immediately from the Care of our own Preservation, which Nature recommends to every one. . . , and that this right is so primary, that it cannot be denied on the basis that it is not "expressly set forth.

--- Hugo Grotius

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    I'm thinking the Glock 19 is a good idea.
    Reason?
    Instead of a plinker, she would have something suitable for SD given to her by her father.
    Also, the 19 should have parts & accessories availibility in the future.

My boys are 7 & 8, they both got their first gun this year, a Windham SRC .223 AR (same set-up for each)
    An AR as a "first gun" wasn't pre-planned long ago on my part, it was spawned from necessity.
    They expressed an interest in deer hunting this fall and the .223 AR is the best tool for the job (low recoil due to .223 + semiauto and adjustable stock).
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

My Dad gave me my first gun when I was 10 years old. It was a Savage Arms 410/22 over and under that he bought from my Grandfather when I was a baby. He said he bought it from him with the sole purpose of giving it to me years later. His boys (he had a passle of them running around and they were rough as a cob mountain boys) had all used and abused that thing to no end and my Grandfather had hand carved the stock on it because they had broken the original. I learned how to shoot with that gun (it shot terrible because of the peep sight they had put on it and then lost the front sight). I made a front sight for it and learned the sight picture necessary to hit with it. I still have that gun to this day.

In my late teens I re-blued the barrel and it looked as good as new...and still does. When I was about 20 my long lost uncle Berkley dropped by our house (as he tended to do every 5 years or so) and as we were shooting the bull I told him I had something I wanted to show him. I brought the gun out and he just couldn't believe it. He told me all kind of stories about things his and his brothers did with that gun when they were kids. It was a pretty cool moment. He died a couple years after that and that happened to have been the last time I saw him.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

My oldest daughter (14) has been shooting a Ruger 10/22 and Mark II .22 pistol for a few years now. She is interested in hunting and is willing to try something bigger. Nonetheless, she has really enjoyed shooting.

My son is 12 and has been shooting for a year now. He started with the .22 and quickly wanted to go more. She went right to a Glock 22 (.40 S&W) and my M4. He has done well with both. Now he wants to try my .357 revolver and M1 Garand. I think he enjoys the noise and the kick. He has really good handling and form, and his accuracy is very good as well. I'm going to take him to Front Sight for some training now that he seems both interested and ready (from a maturity perspective).

Anyway, I don't believe there is any single right answer. A .22 is nice because it is inexpensive to shoot so you can go more often. To me, that is really the key - practice and experience. You can often find good deals on armslist.com if you check regularly and are patient. That is one way to find a couple of options for them to shoot.

VIP Member
    Here is a picture of my first gun.
    My daddy took it off of Blackbeards dead body down on Ocracoke Island.

Just joking!!!!!!

My first was a Winchester model 1200 bought in 1974 to begin my illustrious days of deer hunting
    Attached Images
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Sponsored Links