Renting guns

Renting guns

This is a discussion on Renting guns within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The first time I have ever rented a firearm was last week and wow what an experience. It was good because I was able to ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By blitzburgh

Thread: Renting guns

Renting guns

The first time I have ever rented a firearm was last week and wow what an experience. It was good because I was able to try some different firearms that I wouldn't otherwise have had a chance to handle, but I was just amazed at the lack of maintenance and general lack of care of the staff. The first guy that checked myself and my friend in and initially got us a pistol and ammo was extremely helpful, but the other two afterward could have cared less. One of the nice things was that the guy who checked us in only charged us for one $8 gun rental since we just exchanged whichever gun we were shooting for the next.

The first pistol I tried was a Glock 19 (wanted to see if there was any difference between it and my XD9) and that was a good experience, but there was no real difference in handling or accuracy. Next I tried a Springfield EMP 9mm, and it was very, very accurate. I ran the target out to 20yds and only dropped four shots out of 30 while aiming for the head on a silhouette. I was highly impressed, but that thing kept double-feeding relentlessly. My guess would be lack of maintenance based upon my experiences with the following two guns. After that, we got a hold of the S&W M&P15-.22 and man was that a BLAST!! Well, not literally but it was a hoot to shoot and very accurate. The problems started two magazines worth of ammo into shooting. The first two were smooth as butter, but then we were getting failures to feed every single round. After futzing with it for a bit, I took it back out to the counter and the guy says "Oh yeah, the back half of the mag is worn way down." The mag wouldn't lock in and they didn't have another, so the guy handed me a Ruger SP101 in .22LR. That is most definitely on the must-get list. I love the SP101, and it was very accurate and fun. Unfortunately, I had to cram the rounds into the chambers because there was so much powder stuck in there that they just would not feed or extract smoothly. But, it was a great gun to shoot, with exceptional handling and great accuracy.

Overall, renting a gun is a very nice option to have, I just wish there was more than one shop that did so, and it wasn't almost 90 minutes away from me. I highly, highly recommend getting your hands on a EMP, SP101 .22, or a S&W M&P15-.22 if you have the option.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Only one around here too and it is probably only frequented because of that. Glad you had fun, and it is nice to be able to do that. Sometimes hard to find a friend with the gun you want to try.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I really wish there was a place near by that offered rentals.

Sent from my palm device
    JerryMac likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

There is supposedly a shop/indoor range that will be opening in the near future, but they have been "opening soon" since late last fall. The Glock wouldn't have been hard to find, but the $1200 price of the EMP and the semi-rarity of the SP101 .22 made those kind of hard to get hands on outside of renting.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Links