We should be careful!

We should be careful!

This is a discussion on We should be careful! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In response to a members advice, If we don't agree with his thread about (Ted Nugent worship), we should start our own thread. We should ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: We should be careful!

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar

We should be careful!

In response to a members advice, If we don't agree with his thread about (Ted Nugent worship), we should start our own thread.

We should be careful as gun enthusiasts as to who we support to represent us. I am not a fan of Ted Nugent! I don't like that the world sees Ted Nugent as a voice for all gun owners. His rhetoric, foul mouth and militant attitude does nothing to help us. I would say the same for the NRA and other organizations that are no better than the antis spewing fear mongering playing on the ignorance of citizens that are oblivious to the truth. These talking heads count on their audience to be uninformed on current issues; it's easier to drink the "Kool Aid" than have an educated opinion and utilize common sense. The argument, " They're all we've got" or "the NRA has done more than anyone for gun rights" is a cop out for being an intelligent informed gun owner.

Ted Nugent is definitely well informed and knows the laws concerning firearms; I just don't like him or the way he delivers the message! I would compare him to Michael Bloomberg and Al Sharpton.

Just my thoughts

I'm ready for the backlash, fire away!
    SCXDm9, Brad426, SWIll and 6 others like this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Well said....

I agree with you on Ted. We have to remember that this is not a "weiner measuring contest". We are dealing with the goverment and politicians and their smoke screens and we need the right people adressing the issues the right way. There is a big audience (the rest of society or non gun owners) that can have a big influence on the outcome on this issue. Regarding the NRA, I think they are helpful but I am not a NRA "worshiper".

I can appreciate his boldness, but his continuous aggressiveness for the sake of being aggressive is not only foolish, but very annoying. He seems to carry his rock n roll "in your face" attitude into all aspects of his life. He is wealthy so he gets away with much of it, but it is not helping the rest of us. All he is doing is stroking his own ego and we certainly have enough of that in the world already. Since I'm not a fan of his music after listening to it a few times and have never knowingly listened to it again, I won't comment on how it stinks.

Agreed, his vehement "I want/prefer him dead" rhetoric is caustic to the message and pollutes much of what's worth being said. And that part of it damages the cause and hardens the hearts of anti-gunners and politicos who aren't themselves 2A zealots.

Most every time I hear him, he reminds me of the portion of the film Untouchables in which Capone (deNiro) says: "I want him dead! I want his family dead! I want his house burned to the ground!."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have said it before, so I will say it again, perception is a big deal.
    ericb327 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I said the same thing about Jose Canseco taking up "the cause" and got shouted down about how having a celebrity (however minor) can't hurt. I disagree and think that idiots championing our cause isn't a good thing.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

I would like to add that I am fairly impressed with the 2nd Amendment Foundation; they have been systematically and methodically bringing and winning cases before the courts. The SAF has been bringing the fight to Washington DC, Chicago, Maryland and California.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I agree with most of what Ted says, but I agree that sometimes he is over the top (which is why he gets news time). However there are times where "in your face is needed" but quiet reasoned discourse is needed as a balance. Unfortunately the quiet voice never gets heard. Not a surprise, however, given the slant of the media.
    multistage likes this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

The NRA is the 800 lb gorilla in the room, and they are mostly on our side. I don't agree with everything they say, I don't even agree with how they support things, and more importantly for my what they are silent on. That said, having a huge organization on our side makes a big difference. They can mobilize votes, money, and advertising if they need to. You and I can't do that.

And the SAF seems to be more action oriented and interested in righting things through legal action. I like that. They were instrumental in bringing down a State of Emergency issue we were still having in NC too.
    ericb327, pir8fan and Hoganbeg like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    The NRA is the 800 lb gorilla in the room, and they are mostly on our side. I don't agree with everything they say, I don't even agree with how they support things, and more importantly for my what they are silent on. That said, having a huge organization on our side makes a big difference. They can mobilize votes, money, and advertising if they need to. You and I can't do that.

And the SAF seems to be more action oriented and interested in righting things through legal action. I like that. They were instrumental in bringing down a State of Emergency issue we were still having in NC too.
    The NRA's also has a negative impact on the anti's due to their tactics and rhetoric. I would agree the NRA has had a positive impact on out gun rights, but at what cost? The NRA is building enemies faster than supporters in my opinion.

I think you're dellusional if you believe that by delivering your point of view in soothing tones the antis will accept the validity of your position. They disagree with us because of what we believe not how we say it. Ted's approach isn't mine but I'm content to let him contribute in the way he sees fit. The same goes for the NRA or others who choose a different delivery.
    BamaT likes this.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    The NRA's also has a negative impact on the anti's due to their tactics and rhetoric. I would agree the NRA has had a positive impact on out gun rights, but at what cost? The NRA is building enemies faster than supporters in my opinion.
    How do you have a negative impact on the anti's? Barbara Boxer for instance is going to be anti no matter what, how can it be worse? Reminds me of the scene in Life of Brian where a guy is going to be stoned to death and he keeps mouthing off and the guard says "stop it, or it will go worse for you". I do not believe you can stop the anti's from being anti 2A, but you can stop them from doing something about is. That is where the NRA comes in.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

We don't need to give them ammunition though! That's my point!

Senior Moderator
    I do believe that Ted turns off people who we might win to our side. My problem with the NRA is that they seem to be preaching to the choir more than they are spreading the message.

I do believe that we have to show that gun owners are all nuts are testosterone crazied fiends, Ted shows just the opposite
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links