Am I Crazy??? Gun Crazy!!!

This is a discussion on Am I Crazy??? Gun Crazy!!! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Last month I picked up my first gun, S&W 686+ 4 inch. That was shortly followed by a Mossberg 500. Tomarrow I pick up my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Am I Crazy??? Gun Crazy!!!

Am I Crazy??? Gun Crazy!!!

Last month I picked up my first gun, S&W 686+ 4 inch. That was shortly followed by a Mossberg 500. Tomarrow I pick up my first riffle, Marlin .357 as a sidekick to the 686. I have managed to accquire 3000 SD rounds in .357 and 750 rounds of 00 buck.

I wanted something for CC and thought it wise to slightly diversify ammo incase I ever run into difficulty finding .357. I've decided to go with a .40 cal. Considering Berreta PX4 Storm or S&W M&P. I have already ordered 3000 rounds of federal HS 180 grain HP for what ever I end up with.

I consider this to be a BASIC level of protection in the event of civil unrest. One of my coworkers thinks im crazy gathering this arsenal. Eventually I would like to add a AR riffle and S&W 642 with 5000 rounds or so for the AR. I hope I never have to use this ammo and I can pass it all on to my now 2 year old son but I believe within the next 20 years if not soon there will be an event that this arsenal will come in handy and maybe preserve the life of my family.

Guns with out ammo are useless, might as well have a baseball bat. How much ammo do you feel the need to stockpile? Am I crazy???

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    If you are crazy there are many of us here that share the same affliction.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    Don't fight the addiction. It's futile!

If you think that's crazy, the majority of us would be clinically insane. Also, I give the PX4 .40 my nod. Its been flawless for me throughout near a thousand rounds as of yesterday's serious range trip.

Sent from my palm device
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    Welcome to the illness.

Just don't call me Shirley.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Welcome to the illness.
    It's a fun illness though, isn't it? I think there's a significant number of people on here that are just as prepared, if not more so. At least until they have a boating accident.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I want a .357 levergun SO bad it almost hurts... I hate you now.

Congratulation on the stockpile- I wish I could hoard ammo like that. My problem is that I can only afford so much ammo, and I really like to shoot. So, by the time I can afford the ammo, I need more practice. It's a vicious cycle.

The most ammo I've had stockpiled at one time was about 650 rnds of mixed target and SD ammo in .45ACP. Now I have about 100 target rounds, 80 SD rounds, and 100 rnds that I can't shoot.

But I have almost 700 rnds of .22lr.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I used to reload about 20 years ago but I lost intrest in it. At that time I tried to keep about 1000 rounds for every gun I owned. Now I just buy enough to shoot and keep a litle back for SD use in my carry guns. ( about 50 to 100 rounds for each gun.) I think I still have a few boxes of reloaded 9mm around somewhere.

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    If that's crazy, I might qualify for commitment. Five weapons in the last six weeks.

Super Blackhawk - 44mag
    Ruger carbine - 44mag
    Model 94 -44mag NIB
    Marlin 39 - 22lr
    Ruger convertible - 22lr/22mag NIB
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

you can never have too many firearms or too much ammo,keep buying....

VIP Member
    While I have a plenty of ammo for all my handguns, very little is SD rounds. For example I have about 1500 rounds of .45 ACP, of that only about 300 rounds are JHP. My view is that in a SHTF scenario I don't care what I am shooting, as long as I have ammo to shoot. The BG isn't going to care if he gets hit in the chest with a round nose FMJ or a JHP, he's going to be trying to figure out where the mule that kicked him in the chest came from. Shotgun is a different store. I have 1000 rounds for it, all 00-buck. I would however use birdshot if nothing else was available to me.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Shotgun is a different store. I have 1000 rounds for it, all 00-buck. I would however use birdshot if nothing else was available to me.
    Birdshot works wonderfully up close. Once you get out to about 25yds is where it's only good for little things. But, out to 20ft, it will still work wonders on most anything you would be needing to stop.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by GetSmith View Post
    ... 3000 SD rounds in .357 and 750 rounds of 00 buck ... ordered 3000 rounds of (.40) for what ever I end up with.

One of my coworkers thinks im crazy gathering this arsenal.
    Hmph. There are more than a few here, on DC, for whom that "arsenal" of ammunition would only cover a few weekends of courses and shooting with buddies.

Sounds like a good start: .357, .40, 00 buck shells.

Adding another 5K rounds in .556 would probably total to an "arsenal." But here's the thing. In a place where the anti-gunners are realizing they can just as easily be anti-ammo sorts, a threat to ammo supplies could easily turn that ~8000rd stash into quite a valuable commodity. That's above and beyond any actual need for defensive purposes.

Welcome to DefensiveCarry, by the way.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member
    Welcome to the group GetSmith!

Nothing wrong with keeping an adequate supply of ammo on hand... Don't forget to actually SHOOT those guns! Practice yields proficiency and shot QUALITY is more important that shot QUANTITY in most situations :)
    RichB70 likes this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links