"Because they don't make a .46"

This is a discussion on "Because they don't make a .46" within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This makes no sense to me, I see people post it all the time and it's even in 'funny' pictures - but I don't get ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: "Because they don't make a .46"

"Because they don't make a .46"

This makes no sense to me, I see people post it all the time and it's even in 'funny' pictures - but I don't get it.

If you want to carry the biggest gun, there are bigger guns to carry than a .45, if that's your goal and what makes you feel like a man.

Am I missing something?

Example:

2. Remove Ads

Some things just can't be explained.

However, that 1911 pictured above needs to be outfitted with the proper GI recoil rod, spring and plunger.

And, fwiw, the 45 is a man sized caliber, not because it makes one feel like a man, but it was made with killing big stuff, like man, ....and their horses.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I agree. It's lame and there are bigger calibers that can compensate for whatever someone may be lacking.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Am I missing something?

Example:
    In a word, yes.
    mkh and JerryMac like this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Senior Moderator
    454.jpg

I don't get it either, that's why I always post the above in response
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

LOL

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    This makes no sense to me, I see people post it all the time and it's even in 'funny' pictures - but I don't get it.

If you want to carry the biggest gun, there are bigger guns to carry than a .45, if that's your goal and what makes you feel like a man.

Am I missing something?

Example:
    Because the '.45' is best known for being the 'service caliber', the 'go to' round. Only thing I think I would prefer is a revolver in .45 Colt.

But, the 1911 is the favorite platform for the .45- which is why there are so many of these pictures/posters/whatevers.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Looking at the business end of the thin profile of the 1911, makes that barrel look sooo big.

It just has that, " I am so screwed " effect, lol.
    W9HDG, OD*, Xader and 3 others like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I'm going to take a similar photo of my XD-S just to be different. :)

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I think it might just be such an old saying, from back when .45 really was the largest diameter self-contained cartridge for a pistol. At least that's what I always assume when I see/hear it.
    Walk softly ...

Because concealing a desert eagle can be a pain in the butt..LOL although I do know someone that does.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    There could always be a bigger caliber (going on up to ballistic missiles and warheads), but the .45 ACP is the biggest of the most common calibers used for personal defense. Going bigger tends to get less practical for the average Joe, which is why the .45 is still the standard for ensuring the BGs keep an extra pair of underwear around.

That's why I continue to carry my 1911
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by W9HDG View Post
    Because concealing a desert eagle can be a pain in the butt..LOL although I do know someone that does.
    You're doing it wrong!
    357and40 and pittypat21 like this.

OD*

Am I missing something?

Example:
    It makes no sense to you because, you don't know the origin of the comment. You can bet your rearend Texas Ranger Joaquin Jackson didn't carry it because he felt unmanly without one. He'd be the same Texas Ranger carrying a 9mm, .38, or whatever flavor he felt like.
    Texas Ranger Joaquin Jackson who spent the later part of his illustrious career looking after the harsh, massive Texas Big Bend Country, packed a Colt .45 auto throughout his distinguished career. When asked why he carried Colt’s .45 Government Model, he replied in typical Ranger fashion… ‘Because they don’t make a Colt .46!’
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Well, that 1911 in the photo isn't a Colt .45 either and this is 2012 which means there are bigger calibers to carry than a .45, so although it may have made sense then - it doesn't now, which is my point.

People that say it today make it sound like they are carrying a .45 because it's the largest caliber, because if they made a .46 they'd be carrying that - well, why not carry a .50 (for example).

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links