Sights for "older" eyes...

This is a discussion on Sights for "older" eyes... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just got back from the range. I noticed I am beginning to have trouble picking up the sights on my M&P 9mm. They are standard ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Sights for "older" eyes...

Just got back from the range. I noticed I am beginning to have trouble picking up the sights on my M&P 9mm. They are standard three dot white sights. When I try to focus on the front sight, all is blurry and I see multiple dots. I am right eye dominant, and this happens if I shoot with both eyes open or left eye closed. I just passed the half century mark, and am chalking it up to aging eyes. I think I would do better with sights that don't have to line up between 2 blades, but maybe a front sight that would sit on top of the rear sight when aiming, such as a 'big dot' type sight. This pistol is used for self defense, not target shooting. Any opinions on sight options for 'aging' eyes would be appreciated, especially from the plus 50 crowd. Thank you for your help.
    Mike
    I will rarely post, but will read (and hopefully learn) a lot

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I've passed the half-century mark, and I found out quickly that these old eyes couldn't see the white Glock sights. I put a dab of Dayglo-orange paint on them and now they are easily seen even in very dim conditions. They need a touch-up now and then, but for about $4 a bottle, you've got a lifetime supply.

If you prefer something other than orange, most drug stores carry nail polish in a host of bright colors that just happen to have a built-in applicator. They work best over a white basecoat.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    I`m having the same problem so looking for longer arms. If a good set can't be located, I think I'll have a red dot added to my XDm 9mm. I have can a cpl classes with a guy with a red dot on his glock.... nice, very nice!
    RichB70 likes this.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Contrary to some instructors, I have XS Big Dots (not the standard size) and they work really really well for a very far sighted old codger.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Try using some Crimson Trace laser grips. Easy to get on target without any silly sights getting blurry.

You could also try some of that sight paint.
    10thmtn likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Somthing you can with the three dot trouble is just take some black electrical tape and tap off the rear dots for a test and see how you like that. Now I will talk on a slightly different approch to it all. A shooter who is practice and trainned in the art of point shooing is the best combat shooter in the bunch. Your can try some reading reaserch, but to learn this skill you would probably need some hands on tranning. This involes shooting without lookin at the sights at. I am trained at this and can center mass in near complete darkness with most any gun I pick up. It's a great feeling when you learn to do this, and eliminates a lot of the problems of eyesight, and you are shooting with both eyes open, it is a lot like shooting a shotgun with both eyes open. I was kidding around at the range a while back, and cut a friend of mine a smilly face point shoot a paper plate at 10 feet, he couldn't believe I could do that without sights, but it can be done.

Like the Williams Firesights on my Taurus 24/7 Pros, really helped my 58 year old eyes !

Personally, I like Tru Glo TFO's (Tritium Fiber Optics) because they have the FO "Glow" in daylight/dusk/low light, and Tritium in darkness.

The colors really pop!

Mine are yellow rear sights and green front sight.
    BamaT and BkCo1 like this.

I'm with Rock and Glock on the TFOs. I use them on my Glock 19 carry gun, and like them a lot.
    NRA Life Member

I feel your pain! I know all of our eyes "age" differently, but I have a much easier time with pistol sights if the rear is all black with the front being whatever you like (I prefer NS for carry and FO for just range guns). Otherwise the 3 dots seem to get in each others way. For 22 plinking on my Ruger, I went with a holographic red dot--now that really! made a difference. I've never used a laser sight, but may try one some day.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

MJK
    Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    Contrary to some instructors, I have XS Big Dots (not the standard size) and they work really really well for a very far sighted old codger.
    +1

I installed XS sights on my G36 and G21. Inside 10 yards they facilitate quick, accurate shots.
    CDW4ME likes this.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Senior Moderator
    I have AmeriGlo Pro Operator night sights on both my Glocks. I use the dimmer yellow tritium on the rear and the bright green on the front. In the light, the bright orange ring on the front sight is easy to pick up.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Same problem here, and I wear contacts for distance so my sight picture is always blurry. I have CT grips, it helps but I switched to point shooting as the best answer.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Guns have sites, haven't been able to see mine in years. Next time I get new glasses I'm going to get tri-focals. Tried them once before but didn't like them, now I've got to have them.
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

The bright green and orange "bright sights" don't help me a bit. I just get a big blob of color instead of a big blob of white. And in the dark you can barely see them anyway. I agree with above posters that point shooting is the way for us old farts. Now for target shooting, which I do a lot of, I have to wear reading glasses so if I look at the front sight I'm looking through the glass but if I look at the target I'm looking over the glass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links